Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is Government and Civics and Economics going to be covered in highschool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is Government and Civics and Economics going to be covered in highschool?

It is my understanding that Government/Civics and Economics is required for most high school graduates. I am wondering how or if this is included.

Hello.

Our students study Cicero's On Obligations and The Republic and the Laws in high school. We go back to the source for our government. Then, when they have their high school American and European history classes, we tie it all together.

Tanya

Comment

Re: How is Government and Civics and Economics going to be covered in highschool?

Would these two books/study guides take the place of Government/Economics for high school? I understand they are listed under Classical Studies, but I am wondering if we use Cicero, would it count as 1 full credit for the requirement of Govt./Econ. for high school? Or should the student still use a modern textbook for these requirements? If Cicero is sufficient, how would you list it on a HS transcript? Also, what would be the sequence you recommend? Study Cicero alongside American History during either year 1 or 2; study Cicero before American History or after?

thank you,
      Mrs. Blair

Comment

Re: How is Government and Civics and Economics going to be covered in highschool?

At HLS we study Cicero (in classical studies) alongside our American history. We do not do a separate government class--we choose to focus on the roots of our government. Even though it may not be "mainstream" we believe it is a better way to learn about what government is and how it should act.

We would suggest counting the two guides, "The Republic and the Laws" and "On Obligations" as a semester course worth half a credit. I would just call it "Government" on the transcript.

We do not do an economics course separate from history though they get a lot of the concepts by studying things such as the Great Depression.

Paul
        Paul Schaeffer
        --
        Academy Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

FWIW, I think we'll add a research project about modern American Civics when we get that far. I see the value in MP's approach, but think a comparison between the ancient and the modern would connect things a little better for my kiddo and solve the problem of when/ where to add in a research paper.
          Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Yes, we for certain will be doing Political Science, Current (Global) Events included with taking US History right up to the present day, and a full Economics course as well ....
            homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

Hadn't thought of political science. Good thought. I know we will do economics and statistics. I consider those essential to be a literate citizen.
              Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Political Science was one of my absolute favorite classes in high school

And yes! -- Statistics, too.
                homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

I am trying to see if I get this right....so if you are doing American history 1&2, for one of the semesters you do the Cicero books on government as Classical Studies? What would be a good fit for the other semester of the year you do Cicero?

We are doing 9th, with first year of American book, but she is on Romans/Aeneid for Classical, so I am thinking we would do Cicero/? next year. Suggestions?

Also, when they do the American course, with the essays on the test, are they given the question ahead of time? And I assume those would be done "in class" at Highlands? I am thinking of having those be practice doing a 45 min essay.

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  Last edited by KF2000; 07-25-2015, 06:26 AM.
                  2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                  DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 8
                  DD, 6
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Sarah,

Cicero actually takes a year to complete. We do On Obligations one semester and The Republic and the Laws the 2nd semester (or vice versa. I can't remember the order.) As far as when to do it, it would be two years after Vergil. We do Greek tragedies the year after the Aeneid and then Cicero.

And I'm not sure if I understand you correctly about American history. We do one volume in 9th grade and volume 2 in 10 the grade, so it is a two year course.

Tanya

Comment

Well, we are doing the U.S. history for two years as our Modern in 9th and 10th as planned. Sounds like you have them do the Greek Tragedies during the first year of that, and Cicero the second year.

But she is a year behind as far as classical studies go. So this year, (9th) she is doing Romans/Aeneid. (Behind as in the accelerated track....because she is at the accelerated 9th in everything else)

So do we still try to do the Greek Tragedies in 10th, or bump that in favor of Cicero, to get the government work within the years of American history?

And the essay questions from the tests....do we give them to them ahead of time? And are they timed at Highlands?

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      DS, 16
                      DD, 14
                      DD, 12
                      DD, 10
                      DD, 8
                      DD, 6
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

Comment

It would be fine to do either Cicero or Greek tragedies in 10th. I think the tragedies are more fun, but I do see the appeal to reading Cicero while studying the American government!

Tanya

Comment

Thanks, Tanya! I am considering bumping the Greek tragedies to part of "literature" so we don't miss them. We'll figure it out for sure next spring, but at least that will not be a problem or anything. Thanks!

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          DS, 16
                          DD, 14
                          DD, 12
                          DD, 10
                          DD, 8
                          DD, 6
                          +DS+
                          DS, 2

Comment

And we can talk more about this in person this week!!!

Tanya

Comment

Yay! (Happy dance!)
                              AMDG,
                              Sarah
                              DS, 16
                              DD, 14
                              DD, 12
                              DD, 10
                              DD, 8
                              DD, 6
                              +DS+
                              DS, 2

Comment

Working...
                              X