Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is covered in High School Latin III (the class that uses Henle 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is covered in High School Latin III (the class that uses Henle 2)

I am trying to decide on the course my son will follow for his high school Latin studies and am trying to compare your online class to another option I have with his school he will be enrolled with (both use Henle 2).

Can you tell me what chapters are covered when during the year? To compare, the other class finishes Henle 1 in the first semester (my son is coming from the Forms so this would be review for him) and then the second half of the year it covers Part IV doing both the review sections (1-16) and new grammar sections (17-32) by doing one review section a week and one new section a week. So one week they will cover lesson 1 as review only doing a few select exercises and also cover the entire lesson 17 including the caesar reading from Part II. They do not cover Part III (Jesus Christus, Rex Regum) at all. I am wondering if you cover Part III at all and how you break up teaching Part IV/Part II throughout the year. Im hoping I will find your pace a better fit for my son. Thank you.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Hello,

Thank you for the question. In our Henle III: Caesar class we start with the Henle Second Year Text. We are done with the First Year Text (purple one) at that point. This is true for folks that are coming from Fourth Form as well. The do all of the lessons from the Caesar class and then they do some of the translation sections as well throughout.

For example, in Week 7 this is the schedule:

Lesson: 13: Relative clauses; qui, quae, quod; relative clause of purpose; 14: Irregular comparison of adjectives.
    Assignment: Ex. 80(odds), 81(1-5), 83(1-10), 84(1-5), 85(evens), 86(B & C), De Adventu Gallorum

Then when they get down to Week 11 this is the schedule:

Lesson: 18: The active and perfect system passive of fero; ipse; perfect participle passive
    Assignment: Ex. 118, 119(1-5), De Exercitu Romano, Helvetians Drive to the West: lines 3-21

So, they are doing a combination of both some review, new grammar, and translation.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll be glad to help.

Mr. Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    onlineacademy@memoriapress.com

Comment

That helps a bit. Perhaps you can clarify. It seems as if you go through part IV lesson by lesson. My understanding is that lessons 1-16 are review and lessons 17-30 are new material. It looks like maybe you do two review lesson a week (or so) and then start the new lessons doing one per week. I understand that the translations from part II are assigned as part of the lessons in Part IV so it appears you cover those with the lessons. Can you tell me if you assign anything from Part III? It does not appear that Part III is assigned as part of any lessons in Part IV so I am assuming the teacher teaches these as he sees fit as time allows???

I think I see clearer now how Henle 2 is set up. I also think I prefer your method of taking a whole year to do the book rather than cram it into a semester like the other school does.

You have been very helpful.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

No problem at all. We do not include anything from Part III in the class because of time. Please let me know if you have any other questions; I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks!

Mr. Piland
        Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
        That helps a bit. Perhaps you can clarify. It seems as if you go through part IV lesson by lesson. My understanding is that lessons 1-16 are review and lessons 17-30 are new material. It looks like maybe you do two review lesson a week (or so) and then start the new lessons doing one per week. I understand that the translations from part II are assigned as part of the lessons in Part IV so it appears you cover those with the lessons. Can you tell me if you assign anything from Part III? It does not appear that Part III is assigned as part of any lessons in Part IV so I am assuming the teacher teaches these as he sees fit as time allows???

I think I see clearer now how Henle 2 is set up. I also think I prefer your method of taking a whole year to do the book rather than cram it into a semester like the other school does.

You have been very helpful.

Comment

Working...
        X