abeka highschool math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

abeka highschool math

Last year, I noticed that the MP online school was using Abeka for Algebra I and II. I was happy to get the recommendation and then purchased the program for home. I am very disappointed. We used ABeka for K-8 in math and loved it. But the highschool program is terrible. Abeka Algebra I is nothing more than glorified simplifcation of expressions. Where are the functions? Where are the inequality equations? Where is the functional notation? Where is the Algebra? I dumped the Abeka Algebra and switched to Prentice Hall Algebra I because it actually teaches algebraic topics such as functions, inequalities, graphing, sequences and exponential decay/growth.

I have never been disappointed by any of your materials before but I am deeply disappointed by this one.

Sincerely,

Holly

Holly,

Thank you very much for this and I am consulting our online instructor about your comments on the Abeka text. We are also switching to the text you mentioned next year.

Mr. Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Prentice Hall Algebra1

Hi Holly,
      I want to affirm your choice of Prentice Hall for Algebra1. In fact, Prentice Hall Classics is the text that Highlands Latin School uses for Algebra1 and Algebra2 at the Louisville and Indianapolis campuses. (I teach math at HLS-Indy.) MP is in the process of publishing support materials for homeschooling families using Prentice Hall Classics textbooks for Algebra1 and Algebra2 (lesson plan, quizzes, and tests). So keep a lookout for those in the future - they may be helpful to you.
      Blessings,
      Cindy in Indy
      Cindy Davis
      Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
      ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
      ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
      dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

My eighth grader is using the text Cindy mentioned for Algebra I, even before the support materials are ready, and we are very very pleased with it. It seems very thorough, my daughter learns most concepts easily from the text itself, and only occasionally needs direct instruction of a concept. We use the Mixed Practice sections as quizzes (with me checking) and then end of Chapter sections as Tests. I hope you will be pleased with your new text.

For Cindy, we did notice that they do not introduce cross-multiplying for solving equations. I was holding off, thinking the book wanted them to really practice without it, but then we got to the end of the chapter (3) and it never showed them that shortcut. You might think of adding that in to the support materials. I finally showed her how and why it works, and she was so relieved to not have to do the extra steps (made homework go that much faster). They were doing ratios anyway, but never showed that simple little thing.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        Last edited by KF2000; 11-26-2014, 11:25 AM.
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 7.5
        DD, 5.5
        +DS+
        DS, 18 months

Comment

cross-multiplying

Hi Sarah,
          I appreciate your suggestion to add a reminder to use cross-multiplication to solve proportions. I always teach my students to cross-multiply when solving proportions. I consider that a 5th-grade skill, so by the time they are in algebra, they shouldn't need the instruction. In our class, when we covered section 3-9, I just reviewed cross-multiplying and showed them why it works according to the multiplication property of equality. (Similar to what you showed your daughter.)

The primary purpose of chapter 3 is to teach and apply the properties of equality, so the authors probably just inserted proportions as another way to practice that skill. I agree with you that it is not the most efficient application. It is my experience that students need careful instruction in *how* to set up the proportions correctly. Solving them should be a snap. Rod and Staff does an excellent job in teaching the "how" to set-up.

On a related note, I was not completely satisfied with the methods for setting up equations from word problems in section 3-11. I am doing a word problem "boot camp" with my students to strengthen their skills. Those who had College of the Redwoods for pre-algebra are doing fine. But we have some newcomers with a different background and they need additional instruction (beyond what PH offers). I may add that into our resource as well.

My alert students found another error in the answer key on Lesson 5-6, problem 11 (p.730). Answer should read -3m^^2 +9mp I'll update the google doc presently.

I noticed on another thread that you are Illini! So am I! I spent the first 2 years of my life there and then my college years. We'll have to compare notes sometime.
          Happy Thanksgiving!
          Cindy
          Cindy Davis
          Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
          ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
          ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
          dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Cindy,
            That's awesome! I was in Chambana for eight years....four for school, two more for my dh to finish (yes, he's younger than I!) and then he did grad school too. We had one bambina there, and had another on the way when we left....so it is very dear to me!

Yes, I have to agree about the need for a bit more help with setting up the story problems. Those are frequently the areas she needs more help. I was thankful for remembering percentage problems especially...showing her the standard formula of:

X% of Y = Z

So that if you have any two of the variables, you can find the third. That seemed to help a lot once we went over it.

Thanks for the heads up on the error...she is finishing up chapter four, so we will be to that soon.

Happy Thanksgiving as well!
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
            DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 7.5
            DD, 5.5
            +DS+
            DS, 18 months

Comment

Thank you for taking my comment seriously.

My oldest, who just completed her first semester at an away public school, struggled after doing 8 years of Abeka. She was completely unprepared for the expectations of this level 2 course (aka. not honors level) Algebra I course at our local public school. Her course seems to presume mastery of absolute value, negative numbers, equation manipulation, slope, and coordinate graphing. So they are mostly focused on graphing and how to look at a graph and visually determine what kind of an equation-parent function-that graph had to be derived from. The course is also quite focused on ensuring that the child can explain in words why their answer is correct. Prentice Hall has alot of problems that require the kid to do just that. When I saw that the Abeka book was missing focus on inequalities, graphing systems of inequalities, any discussion of parent functions and spending most of it's time discussing the above topics, well I guess I understand why my daughter was so unprepared. And for those Saxon users, alot of the topics are covered in Saxon Algebra I either.

Sincerely,

Holly

Comment

Originally posted by 6girls1boy View Post
                And for those Saxon users, alot of the topics are covered in Saxon Algebra I either.
                Do you mean they are not covered in Saxon?...I think that is what you mean, but I am not sure 😉
                Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                DS -19 (9/4/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
                DS -15 (9/9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
                DS -13 (7/3/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

Working...
                X