Latin 1 credit question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin 1 credit question

My dd is working through Henle Latin with the Yahoo study group and doing very well. The group will not get through the generally accepted "first year" part of the book by May. I can't decide whether I should speed my dd up in order to finish what's generally considered Latin 1 material by June or so or let her stay on track with the group and still give her a credit.

The general consensus on the group was that she can stay with the group and still get the credit, considering that she will have worked on Latin for a full year and will probably get pretty much what most high school Latin courses would cover in that time, that the Henle "years" are ambitious. I'm asking here in hopes of a few more responses to shore up my confidence that it really will be legitimate to award her a Latin 1 credit.

Part of my hangup is that my dd zips through her Latin work, spending on average 15-20 minutes a day on it, rarely more. She's doing very well; it comes pretty naturally to her. She enjoys it and enjoys that it's easy--such a welcome break from the Biology she's struggling through and the geometry that takes a big chunk of time. I know she could do more and move faster, but I don't want to ruin it for her if the current, slower pace is fine. I hate to "penalize" her for being quick, KWIM?

Any opinions? We will get through lesson 16, Unit 4, by May.
Working...
X