Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phenom of Lang, Latina Christiana, Oxford Latin?...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phenom of Lang, Latina Christiana, Oxford Latin?...

Don't know if anyone will see this message here?

I am a mom/beginning Latin student. :?

Can anyone share how Latina Christiana compares with Phenomenon of Language for beginning Latin students in gr 7-9?

Can anyone here compare Oxford Latin I with Latina Christiana to use with a learning challenged student in 9th gr?

Thanking in advance,
    Anna

Answered in K-8 forum

See this topic in K-8 Curriculum Board: http://www.memoriapress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14
    Brian Lowe
    www.MemoriaPress.com

Comment

"Inductive" Latin Courses

I have some experience teaching from the Oxford Latin series - believe it or not at the university level. It is one of the newer series which go by the name "inductive." (Another is Ecce Romani, which I am forced to endure as an instructor right now.) The idea is that students will learn how to read and understand Latin simply by reading graded Latin texts. There is a widespread belief that Latin can be acquired in the same way we acquire our primary language. It sounds like a good idea, but it is simply impractical unless you can surround a child with something resembling native speakers of Latin.

What I find particularly disturbing about these texts is that grammar is introduced only after the construction has been used for several chapters in the text. As a result, the books rely heavily on glosses (translations provided for the student) for synthetic (unhistorical) Latin, which is absurd. Additionally, principal parts are not learned from the beginning, which means that a lot of effort must be expended in relearning verbs that should already have been mastered. I tried my best to get around the text, but that is indicative of just how great an impediment the text is. Students naturally take the easy way out and memorize the English translation of the Latin texts, or use crutches from Spanish or some other romance language to hobble through without ever mastering the grammar.

In my experience, the advice you are getting from Memoria Press is sound. Learn the grammar and then overlearn it. These modern pedagogies do not adequately prepare a student for advanced coursework in Latin. There really is a glass ceiling, and those who persist in the tried and true methods will invariably be better prepared for reading real Latin texts.

Comment

Working...
      X