a logic question this time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a logic question this time

Does the summer logic camp set a student up to take traditional logic 2?

The Logic Summer Camp will prepare a student to take Logic 2 in the fall. The Summer Camp provides the bare essentials for working with categorical syllogisms, like the classic:

All men are mortal
    Socrates is a man
    Therefore, Socrates is mortal

I've had some students take the Logic Summer Camp and then take my Logic 2 online course in the fall, and they did just fine. The Camp skips chapters 1-3, I combine 4 and 5, and then we skip chapter 10. But I'll try to touch on it in class.

Thanks!

Scott Piland
    www.memoriapress.com/onlineschool

Comment

logic again

My 9th grader took TL1 with me and we only have a surface understanding of the book. In your opinion does she need the summer camp or is one time through the book with out complete understanding enough for TL2? If you think she might flounder without the camp I am more than willing to put her in it.

Cindy

Comment

Cindy,

Well, I'm sure not one for extra stuff that a student doesn't need, but I think your student would be well served to take the Summer Camp. Without a good understanding, especially of the constituent parts of a proposition, distribution, and the relationships of opposition and equivalence, your student might be able to get by, but it will be difficult for your student to understand WHY certain syllogism forms are not valid. I cover this in detail with some helpful examples (or so I'm told) in the online course. I would take the Summer Camp if you have the time. Plus, during the last two weeks we actually cover Chs 1-3 in the TL2 book and they learn to put into practice what they've learned.

Scott Piland
        www.memoriapress.com/onlineschool

Comment

thank you

Thank for your input and advice. I will definitely be enrolling her in the summer camp.

Comment

I would have her take the class if you are able. We are just finishing the class at home, and I would say a complete and thorough understanding is essential for a smooth transition into TLII. Scott has been a tremendous help. Your daughter will be lucky to have his guidance.

Andrea

Comment

Working...
            X