Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Thomas Jefferson Education: classically oriented?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Thomas Jefferson Education: classically oriented?

What is Memoria Press' opinion regarding A Thomas Jefferson Education, by Oliver Van Demille? Do they believe these principles which he presents are truly classically oriented?

Sincerely,

Andrew

P.S. I am open to all comments.

A Thomas Jefferson Education

Andrew,
    I read the one and two star reviews of the book on Amazon and found those criticisms to be valid and compelling.
    I googled Oliver Van Demille and the George Wythe College both of which look sketchy to me.
    The curriculum and the list of books on the college website, however, look fairly typical of Great Books Program, although I only gave them a very cursory review. I'm sure there are many good things in the book and the curriculum.

A classical education, in my opinion, should include a serious study of at least one classical language. It appears to me that A Thomas Jefferson Education does not include the study of Latin or Greek, which I believe were formative in Jefferson's education. I fear the book perhaps misrepresents the education Jefferson received.

"To read the Latin and Greek authors in their original is a sublime luxury. I thank on my knees him who directed my early education for having put into my possession their rich source of delight. I would not exchange it for anything which I coud then have acquired and have not since acquired." Thomas Jefferson

Cheryl
    Cheryl Lowe
    www.memoriapress.com

Comment

I wondered the same thing, Andrew. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Cheryl,

Thank you for pointing that out to me! It is true that Demille does not put a strong emphasis on learning a classical language. Thus a missing link in his principles...

God bless,

Andrew

Comment

Vik,

Your welcome! So you have read TJE as well?

Comment

Working...
          X