Two years remaining...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two years remaining...

I have a short time remaining in which to educate myself, before I leave to join the Dominican Order. Wanting to do so classically, I have hit a brick wall in how I am to accomplish this in such limited time. How would you suggest I apply the Trivium in the two years remaining to me?

Sursum corda,

Andrew

Andrew,

The first subject you need to master in your road to a classical education is Greek mythology. If you need a resource for that, our favorite is D'Aulaires' Greek Myths. To get a nice synopsis of the ancient world, you could read Susan Wise Bauer's The History of the Ancient World and The History of the Medieval World. Then, you should read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Virgil's Aeneid, and Dante's Inferno. This will give you a good background into the classics. Of course, you could also do two years of Latin and logic.

We have resources for all of this curricula (except Bauer's Medieval History). We have study guides for D'Aulaires, Homer, Virgil, and I've got one coming for Dante. I also have comprehensive Latin and logic courses.

Once you've completed all of this, if you need more, we'll continue moving you forward.

I hope this is helpful!

Regards,

Tanya Charlton

Comment

Tanya,

Your advice is most helpful, thank you! I feel much more confident in begining my classical education paradigm.

Also, is it effective to study Latin and Logic together, or should Latin come first? Does Logic build on Latin?

Deus vobiscum,

Andrew

Comment

Andrew,

Latin and logic are fine taken together as an adult. They each stand alone. Our Rhetoric program does have Latin review in it, but Traditional Logic, which is where we would recommend you begin, does not assume a knowledge of Latin.

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
        X