Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hermione310
    • May 2015

Moby Dick study aids?

We have some extra time for lit this year as we school year round. I’d like to tackle Moby Dick.

I know MP doesn’t have a Moby Dick guide (yet? : ). I found some video summaries on Course Hero that we could watch after each couple of chapters, however, was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other study aids. I haven’t found much after searching online. We could just free read it, certainly a valuable use of our time, but I think DD (and I) would get more
    out of the symbolism and such with a little help.

Thanks! 😊
  • Mrs Bee
    • May 2014

Not sure this is what you're looking for, but Homeschool Connections has a recorded class with 14 lectures, the assumed pace is watching one a week, but it's not binding: https://homeschoolconnections.com/co...-hunt-for-god/ You'd have to pay about $17/month for access, I think. I haven't used this resource, so I cannot recommend it over Course Hero, it's just an alternative.
    2023-24:
    DS (18)
    DD (17)
    DS (9)

Comment

• hermione310
      • May 2015

Thank you very much Mrs Bee! I found the page and am perusing it now. I appreciate the pointer!

Comment

• Jen_NH
        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by hermione310
        Thank you very much Mrs Bee! I found the page and am perusing it now. I appreciate the pointer!
        Homeschool Connections also allows for a free trial week. You could take advantage of that to watch a few lectures to see if it's the kind of thing you're looking for or if it's helpful.
        Homeschooling 13 years, 11th year with MP
        DS 15 - 10th - MA HS Diploma Program
        DS 13 - 8th

Comment

• jenniferjb
          • Nov 2013

Tan has lectures available:
          Moby Dick: Herman Melville on Man, Nature, and Discerning the Will of God

DD19 | MA Graduate | College Sophomore - Music & Classical Languages
          DS 17 | 11th | MA & MP at home
          DD 15 | 10th | MA & MP at home
          2023-2024

Comment

• Mrs Bee
            • May 2014

Originally posted by jenniferjb
            I think they may be the same thing as the HSC lectures... same author!
            2023-24:
            DS (18)
            DD (17)
            DS (9)

Comment

• hermione310
              • May 2015

Originally posted by Mrs Bee

I think they may be the same thing as the HSC lectures... same author!
              I saw that. Must be a limited number of professors willing to take on the challenge of Moby Dick : ).

Thanks jenniferjb for the referral to Tan. Given the length of time it will take to do a study, it would probably be more cost-effective to purchase the course outright vs. subscribing to Homeschool Connections given that we're only interested in that course.

Thank you ladies for the information!

*** update: after doing a side by side comparison (that'll teach me to post before fully reviewing), the Homeschool Connections course offers quizzes, lecture slides, and more lectures than the Tan version. Looks like more of a structured course than the lectures on Tan, which could be more useful for personal enrichment. Not sure which way we'll go but it's great to have options while waiting for MP to churn out more and more of their high quality literature guides!
              Last edited by hermione310; 05-23-2023, 10:14 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

Working...