Thoughts on History of Europe in the Modern World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on History of Europe in the Modern World

Just wanted to chime in here with some feedback on History of Europe in the Modern World, which we just started this week.

I'm very impressed with this course. I was initially quite intimidated as it's a comprehensive study guide and a mature text, and, quite frankly, more than I thought my student could handle in a year. So, I split the lesson plans into two "years". (We go year round, so I plan to complete both in a calendar year and list it in one grade year of her transcript.) Here are my thoughts at this point after completing the first few lessons:

- The text is excellent. Perfect time to step up to a more mature text with insight on the "whys" not just the "whats", but not so daunting that it's impenetrable. The text is very readable. It's sparked some rich discussions.

- The student guide is very well designed. The questions require thought to answer, and the teacher's guide has corresponding page numbers if you need to locate where the topic is discussed. This is very helpful.

- Including Key Dates, Key Figures, and identifiying questions to mark for the test is very helpful as well. The quizzes seem quite manageable and opposed to the history courses I took in high school, designed to aid retention.

I'm very pleased we chose to dive in!

Ooh this is helpful. I'm considering teaching tnisnat home to my 10th grade son next year and was also feeling a bit intimidated by the size and scope of the text.
    Amy

Fall 2022:
    DS 14 9th
    DD 12 7th
    DS 10 5th
    DD 7 2nd
    DS 5 K
    DS 2

Comment

Thank you! Dustin Warren, our teacher who wrote this study guide, also wrote the guide for Medieval Europe and A Concise History of the American Republic (which will be out sometime this year).

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        Thank you! Dustin Warren, our teacher who wrote this study guide, also wrote the guide for Medieval Europe and A Concise History of the American Republic (which will be out sometime this year).

Tanya
        A rewrite of the study guide for A Concise History of the American Republic is in the works? Good news! Will the text remain the same?

Comment

The text will remain the same. But the study guide is going to be very thorough and helpful in the same way that Dustin's other guides are.

Tanya

Comment

The European History guides are excellent -- I'm excited to see the American History ones. Will this continue to be a 2-year course, or will this new guide condense the course into one year?

Comment

I think we will need to have a one-year and a two-year pace for Concise History. It's a big book, but some people want to delve deeply into American history, so we should offer both.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
              X