Thoughts on Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Government

I see that Memoria Academy uses Declaration Statesmanship for its government class. Has anyone here had experience with that? I'm looking ahead for my now-ninth grade daughter.
    2022-2023 Tenth year homeschooling, third year using MP cores

DD - grade 9; also in AHG and Tae Kwon Do
    DS - grade 5; also in Trail Life and Tae Kwon Do

Five born to Heaven, between 2009 and 2014; because of them we have a ministry called Naomi's Circle for parents walking the path of pregnancy loss

DH is a bivocational pastor

Celebrating 20 years of marriage this year!

Hi Kristi,

Declaration Statesmanship focuses (1) on primary sources and (2) the period from the revolutionary war to just past the Civil War. There really is very little about the huge governmental shifts in the 20th century. We are trying to balance that in our American Government courses at Memoria Academy, but I thought I'd at least let you know that if you are thinking of doing it at home.

Peace,
    Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
      Hi Kristi,

Declaration Statesmanship focuses (1) on primary sources and (2) the period from the revolutionary war to just past the Civil War. There really is very little about the huge governmental shifts in the 20th century. We are trying to balance that in our American Government courses at Memoria Academy, but I thought I'd at least let you know that if you are thinking of doing it at home.

Peace,
      Paul
      Thank you, Paul. What other materials will you be using in the Academy? I am thinking of doing it at home, and that is good to know. Do you have any suggestions?
      2022-2023 Tenth year homeschooling, third year using MP cores

DD - grade 9; also in AHG and Tae Kwon Do
      DS - grade 5; also in Trail Life and Tae Kwon Do

Five born to Heaven, between 2009 and 2014; because of them we have a ministry called Naomi's Circle for parents walking the path of pregnancy loss

DH is a bivocational pastor

Celebrating 20 years of marriage this year!

Comment

I thought it might be helpful to share what has worked for us thus far. I assigned the following:

Never Before in History: America's Inspired Birth by Gary Amos (This is a great book, easy to read, helps reinforce the founding of the U.S.)

Basic American Government by Clarence Carson (Denser; you can easily assign excerpts for readers who may not be as interested in the topic)

A Noble Experiment by Tim Spickler (Video lecture helps present the material; very strong political leaning in this one; lots of worksheets and activities)

Great Courses Lecture Series: Tocqueville and the American Experience with Prof. William Cook (Just a wonderful teacher who makes everything so understandable)

For a final exam, my kids took the United States Citizenship exam.

I know this looks like a lot of material, but it is well-balanced. This was for 11th grade. It is a fascinating study, especially the lectures on Tocqueville's travels here in the United States.
        ‚Äč
        24th year homeschooling:
        DS 19 (autism, tech genius)
        DD 13, SC 11/12 (former micro-preemie; only baby in NICU with a library by her isolette)

Graduated:
        DS 32 Working on Master's in Architecture
        DD 24, Summa Cum Laude (Self-designed major psych/ communications); now pursuing Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis
        DS 23 Magna Cum Laude (Philosophy/Music dual major); now pursuing Masters' in same
        DD 21 knits incredible things; working towards degree: Special Ed

Comment

I saw Democracy in America by Tocqueville on the book list from MA. This sounds like a much better class than my daughter had for her college required gov class!!! Add in Political Philosophy and what a wonderful year of government study.
          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
          DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
          DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
          DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
          (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
          DS, 21, Physics and math major
          DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
          DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
          DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Working...
          X