teaching Latin classes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

teaching Latin classes

I've taught Latin in a private school, in a homeschool co-op, as a private tutor, and to my own kids. I've used Henle, Lingua Latina, and Latin Road to English Grammar. This year I am teaching weekly Latin classes to homeschoolers using Henle and Latina Christiana. The students in the LC class are doing well. I love the program and it's so easy to teach.
    Many of the students in Henle, however, are floundering. I've been trying to go at a pace that will cover the first book in 2 years because that's what MODG does--and Seton goes even faster. But it just does not seem realistic for early high school students. Is anybody successful with this? Is it doable with students who've been prepared with LC I and II? Is it necessary to have more class time than 1 hour a week or ?
    For this year, I think I'm going to have to slow down, even though we won't end up where we'd hoped to be. But I'm thinking of the future--How can one tell when students are ready to begin Henle? What pace is best? How does one figure high school credit if Henle is done over 3 or 4 years? Would it be worthwhile to supplement with other materials--liturgical Latin or stories--to provide more practice and interest?
    I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.
    Julia
Working...
X