• Show
Clear All

Traditional Logic tracks and time

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1C60998-CC27-4775-ACF4-2DB816BBFB09.png
Views:	175
Size:	885.3 KB
ID:	137751
    My daughter is using Traditional Logic 1, including the DVDs. I was trying to figure out where to stop the DVD for week 1 (introduction) since “lesson 1” includes both the introduction and chapter 1. The list online seems to say that the introduction is just 16 minutes and chapter 1 is another 16 minutes, but the DVD seems to not match that, since the entire first DVD (lesson 1 and 2) is two hours long. What am I not understanding?
    Attached Files
    2020-2021 Ninth year homeschooling, second year using MP cores

DD - grade 8; also in AHG and Tae Kwon Do
    DS - grade 4; also in Trail Life and Tae Kwon Do

Five born to Heaven, between 2009 and 2014; because of them we have a ministry called Naomi's Circle for parents walking the path of pregnancy loss

DH is a bivocational pastor

Celebrating 19 years of marriage this year!

Originally posted by Kristi B View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F1C60998-CC27-4775-ACF4-2DB816BBFB09.png
Views:	175
Size:	885.3 KB
ID:	137751
    My daughter is using Traditional Logic 1, including the DVDs. I was trying to figure out where to stop the DVD for week 1 (introduction) since “lesson 1” includes both the introduction and chapter 1. The list online seems to say that the introduction is just 16 minutes and chapter 1 is another 16 minutes, but the DVD seems to not match that, since the entire first DVD (lesson 1 and 2) is two hours long. What am I not understanding?
    Hi Kristi B. I do not have the DVDs but on the streaming videos, Chapter 1 begins at 45'16" of the first video. Maybe that corresponds to the DVDs as well?
    '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
    HS Dad & HLN Teacher
    ​​​​​Married to Faculty HS Mom
    8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
    6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
    5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

Hello.

We've been looking at this, and it seems convoluted the way Martin has taught it. It looks like he spends the first 48.47 minutes on the introduction and then moves to chapter 1. Then, at 1:08, he does the workbook questions for the introduction. I feel like he probably taught the intro and ch. 1 on the same day because it looks like his clothes didn't change. I'm hoping that after this session, you will find him easier to follow since he is only teaching one chapter at a time.

Beorn, did you watch the intro/ch. 1 yet on the streaming? What are we missing here? (Martin has no recollection of what he did.)

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        Beorn, did you watch the intro/ch. 1 yet on the streaming? What are we missing here? (Martin has no recollection of what he did.)

Tanya
        Yes ma'am, I have watched the TL videos on the streaming and we are currently on Chapter 3. I concur with your opinion but I think Chapter 1 starts at the 45 minute and 16 second mark of the first video that is the Introduction and Chapter 1 combined. But yes, it jumps a bit and is a patchwork here and there.

But that's what you'll get as Mr. Cothran loves the material (hello, these first few chapters are badically his wheelhouse - an introduction to Philosophy and Metaphysics!) And he literally *really* (Traditional Logic inside joke) wrote the book.
        '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
        HS Dad & HLN Teacher
        ​​​​​Married to Faculty HS Mom
        8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
        6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
        5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

So just relax and enjoy the Martin hour? He's one of those teachers we always struggle to rein in! He gets away with a lot around here.

Comment

New to MP here, so take it for what it's worth... we just listened to the whole lecture the first week and worked out of the book for Chapter 1 for the second week. I'm enjoying/loving Martin's lectures!! I hope my son is too...
            Louise
            INFP, retired RN
            Clearwater, ID

DD, 9 yo, gifted, MP4, TGTB Math 5
            DGrandson- 10 yo, MP4, TGTB Math 4- first time homeschooler
            DD, 15 yo,significant learning disabilities, SC7/8, TGTB Math 6
            DS, 16 yo, ADD/dyslexia, custom combo- Henle 1, Classical Studies 1, Geography III, 9th Gr. Lit., Trad. Logic, Intro. Physics, MPOA HSI Comp, Yay! Math Algebra/Geometry

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Hello.

We've been looking at this, and it seems convoluted the way Martin has taught it. It looks like he spends the first 48.47 minutes on the introduction and then moves to chapter 1. Then, at 1:08, he does the workbook questions for the introduction. I feel like he probably taught the intro and ch. 1 on the same day because it looks like his clothes didn't change. I'm hoping that after this session, you will find him easier to follow since he is only teaching one chapter at a time.

Tanya
              Thank you so much, Tanya! It helps to know it's not just us not understanding it. We will just sit back and enjoy it!
              2020-2021 Ninth year homeschooling, second year using MP cores

DD - grade 8; also in AHG and Tae Kwon Do
              DS - grade 4; also in Trail Life and Tae Kwon Do

Five born to Heaven, between 2009 and 2014; because of them we have a ministry called Naomi's Circle for parents walking the path of pregnancy loss

DH is a bivocational pastor

Celebrating 19 years of marriage this year!

Comment

Working...
              X