Traditional Logic Recitation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Logic Recitation?

Has anyone seen or created a Traditional Logic recitation or central ideas/objectives list that could be converted to a recitation? If so, would you be willing to share?
    '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
    HS Dad & HLN Teacher
    ​​​​​Married to Faculty HS Mom
    8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
    6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
    5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Hey, Michael.

I asked Martin and Dan, and here are their answers:

Martin: I have several things I have students memorize (the four-line mnemonic verse of syllogism names, the chart of distribution, the seven rules of validity, etc.), but I think putting all of these together into one chant would not help and would probably confuse them because it would incorporate too many different kinds of things.

Dan:
    I've never used recitation in teaching logic other than having the students recite the Pneumonic at the beginning of class each time after we have learned it.

I hope this helps! As you know, logic isn't my thing (along with science, math, and fantasy fiction).

I just added the parenthetical to mess with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hey, Michael.

I asked Martin and Dan, and here are their answers:

Martin: I have several things I have students memorize (the four-line mnemonic verse of syllogism names, the chart of distribution, the seven rules of validity, etc.), but I think putting all of these together into one chant would not help and would probably confuse them because it would incorporate too many different kinds of things.

Dan:
      I've never used recitation in teaching logic other than having the students recite the Pneumonic at the beginning of class each time after we have learned it.

I hope this helps! As you know, logic isn't my thing (along with science, math, and fantasy fiction).

That is a very helpful reply, tanya, thank you for asking the gents. This will be my first time teaching through Traditional Logic and I have always wondered if there was a recitation list somewhere out there. As you can see, my brain is on MP K-3 mode where recitation in king. And Mr. Pudewa's talk is still resounding in my brain.

Both Mr. Cothran's and Dr. Sheffler's ideas are true, valid and sound. *Logic inside joke* Sorry, I have no English or Literature related comments for you. I will incorporate memorization of important lists as Mr. Cothran suggests and I really like Dr. Sheffler's idea of running through the pneumonic at the beginning of each class once they have learned it.

Thanks to all. Even your parenthetical list of the Good, the True, and the Beautiful.
      '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
      HS Dad & HLN Teacher
      8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
      6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
      5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

Mnemonic! Mnemonic!
        '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
        HS Dad & HLN Teacher
        8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
        6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
        5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn View Post
          Mnemonic! Mnemonic!
          HA! I was like, wait, we are using our lungs to memorize? But then I realized, that’s exactly what recitation is so…..
          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
          DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
          DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
          DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
          (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
          DS, 21, Physics and math major
          DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
          DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
          DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Beorn, I feel like we are the antithesis to Tanya. I love your description of her parenthetical comment. Agree!

Comment

You two need a good dose of Dickens. Or you could join me as I run through the 940 pages of Don Quixote!

Comment

You two need a good dose of Dickens. Or you could join me as I run through the 940 pages of Don Quixote!
                Ohhh- Don Quixote is on my list! What translation do you recommend? It might end up being an audiobook though after I finish listening to LOTR for the first time (I’ve read it numerous times, but decided to listen to audio on my long babysitting grandson commutes)

Comment

We decided to read the Edith Grossman translation after some research. I am halfway through the book, and I am really enjoying it more than I anticipated. I like her translation. I think a couple of people in our office are listening to it, so you can join the crowd!

Tanya

Comment

I would read Dickens. But if I have to read Don Quixote, you are reading the Silmarillion.
                    '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
                    HS Dad & HLN Teacher
                    8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
                    6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
                    5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

It's okay. You don't have to read Don Quixote. I'll tell you all about it and you can tell me about the Silmarillion.

Comment

I really, really want to read Don Quixote! (In Spanish!). I tried to minor in Spanish in college. However, my sophomore year the teacher only spoke in Spanish (including discussion questions of reading materials in Spanish) I was out. We were reading Don Quixote. At that point in my life I wasn't ready. I'd love to go back and relearn Spanish and read it. I'm working through Latin though now, so it will have to wait.
                        Christine

(2022/2023)
                        DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                        DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Christine,

I am really enjoying Don Quixote, and I think it would be amazing to read it in Spanish! When we read The Count of Monte Cristo, Paul read it in French to work on his French.

I'm 600 pages in now, with 340 to go, so I'm feeling like I might make it. And I continue to enjoy it. It is so funny, and I'm wondering how much funnier it would be in Spanish. I wonder how much we have lost in the translation, though I do feel that this translator is really good and has done her best to maintain the humor.

But, yes, you should probably finish your Latin study first.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                          X