Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement for 9th grade

Hi Everyone!

After a couple of years of trying something different for my now 9th grader. We have decided to come back to MP! I am not sure where to start. We completed most accelerated MP materials up to 7th grade or so, but we decided not to include MP math or Latin. We can retake Latin if necessary, but Spanish has worked well for earning high school credits. Should we go ahead and start on the accelerated 9th grade path? Thank you for all the help you can provide.
    ***Using some 6A materials for 2021-2022***

To make sure I understand- you finished much of 7A then took two years off to do other curriculum and are looking at what to do for 10th and you want to continue your own math and do Spanish instead of Latin and you want to know what Mp material to use? If that’s the case here is a suggestion:
    1. Math- do your thing
    2. Science- it depends on what you did in 9th. If you did Biology, I’d get General Chemistry.
    3. Foreign Language- continue with your Spanish
    4. Classical- if you haven’t done the Greeks/Homer study do that and then do (or do this year if you did Homer in 7A) Rome/Aeneid the next year and Greek Tragedies the next year
    5. modern- it depends on what you did in 9th. Any of the MP high school history courses except Ren/Ref would be good.
    6. Literature- you could just jump into 9A/10th lit or mix and match books.
    7. If you haven’t done logic- do TL 1 and 2 then do Material in 11th and Rhetoric in 12th. TL 1 and 2 together would be a credit. The others 1/2 credit each.
    8. Christian Studies I’d jump in at 9A/10

So it’s a toss up whether you get 9A and adjust it or get 10th and adjust it. Either way you probably want to adjust Classical to get Homer and Virgil. It’s probably best to call customer service and have them step you through subject by subject what you need and let them help you choose which package is best to start your adjustments from.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

I totally agree with momgineer's advice here!

Thanks!

Tanya

Comment

Momgineer and Tanya,

Thank you SO very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I will be ordering 9a soon and adjust as necessary.

I was also wondering if there were any plans for 11 and 12th grade curriculum or what do others usually do for these years?

Sincerely,
        MG
        ***Using some 6A materials for 2021-2022***

Comment

Hi, Gigi.

We have pieces of 11th-12th grades. I am struggling with development of math and science. But you can see what we have planned on the curriculum map in our catalog: https://www.memoriapress.com/classical-catalog/ (I think it's page 49).

We have some of the individual lesson plans completed. I am working on it, but it may just end up being a bunch of individual plans you get to choose between. We'll see what we can get done this summer!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            I am struggling with development of math and science.
            And why, pray tell, are the development of math and science being so pesky and difficult? It's like you are making it sound like mathematicians and scientists and our (I mean, their) studies are particularly and inherently difficult to deal with. That they cause undue challenges. And are not straightforward and able to be pigeonholed so easily. I resemble these remarks. No need to reply to me, carry on.
            Tentative Plan '22/'23 - 5th Year MP
            Homeschool Dad & Tutorial Magister
            8S, Rising 3nd MP @ HLN & Home
            6D, Rising 1st MP @ HLN & Home
            4S, Rising K MP @ HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn View Post

And why, pray tell, are the development of math and science being so pesky and difficult? It's like you are making it sound like mathematicians and scientists and our (I mean, their) studies are particularly and inherently difficult to deal with. That they cause undue challenges. And are not straightforward and able to be pigeonholed so easily. I resemble these remarks. No need to reply to me, carry on.
              Best laugh of my day -- gratias tibi ago.

Comment

So here's the truth! Who wants to work for a publishing company? Science people? Nope. Math people? Nope. English people? YES! History people? YES! Philosophy people? YES!

This is my sad life. I can wander the halls of MP and find no help for math or science.

So when are you moving this way, Beorn?

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                  So here's the truth! Who wants to work for a publishing company? Science people? Nope. Math people? Nope. English people? YES! History people? YES! Philosophy people? YES!

This is my sad life. I can wander the halls of MP and find no help for math or science.

So when are you moving this way, Beorn?
                  You had me at "So". Be there first thing on Monday morning after a conference I need to help with and attend this weekend. You know it is my dream job. You better not be kidding. Oh, there I go again, hijacking another thread. Sorry MG_!
                  Tentative Plan '22/'23 - 5th Year MP
                  Homeschool Dad & Tutorial Magister
                  8S, Rising 3nd MP @ HLN & Home
                  6D, Rising 1st MP @ HLN & Home
                  4S, Rising K MP @ HLN & Home

Comment

A conference? So you already work for me technically. In the words of our fearless marketing director, Ryan G., "Just sell books!"

Comment

Ohh—- Beorn is volunteering to do the Novare videos! Hurry up! I need them!
                      The Older Boys:
                      J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
                      S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
                      G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
                      D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
                      F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
                      M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
                      X