World History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World History

My state has a specific requirement for World History that all freshman are required to take before being admitted to public university. The FAQ specifically state that European History does not count. Does anyone have suggestions on how to meet this? World History or World Geography count.
    DD 17 | 12th
    DS 15 | 9th
    DD 13 | 8th
    2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Has your student completed Geo III? It's World Geography and there are some "honors" activities that could elevate it to a high school credit.
    Christine

(2022/2023)
    DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
    DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Haven't they already completed Geography I-III? Those might fit nicely on a transcript. Can you pull in classes from middle? In our state we can. Geo II covers Africa, Asia, Oceania & the Americas. Geo I had Europe, the Middle East & N. Africa. Geo III goes in even deeper with topography, religions, wars and culture. Combine that with a couple of the Story of the World Volumes you likely read over the summer...

I would be tempted to make a class out of Geo I-III and SOTW.
      Mama of 2, teacher of 3
      Summer: First Start French I
      SY 22/23
      6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
      MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
      SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

No they have not completed Geography III. They completed I & II but III is sitting on my shelf unused. Is it possible to make it worthy of HS credit? I see it offered with MPOA for grades 7-9 and it doesn't mention HS credit. Maybe I need to call admissions and see what will count and what sort of documentation they will need to support it.
        DD 17 | 12th
        DS 15 | 9th
        DD 13 | 8th
        2021-2022

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
          No they have not completed Geography III. They completed I & II but III is sitting on my shelf unused. Is it possible to make it worthy of HS credit? I see it offered with MPOA for grades 7-9 and it doesn't mention HS credit. Maybe I need to call admissions and see what will count and what sort of documentation they will need to support it.
          So are the FAQ from your state regulations or the university? What does the university require of out of state students because world history is not a nation requirement? I haven’t used geography but I don’t believe on its own that it is a full high school credit. Maybe complete geo 3 and add in some extended reading and maybe a paper on a few countries or regions of interest to give it enough added content. Or your World History could be mostly European as the spine enhanced by what else was going on in the world at any given time.
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Just looking at Tan Academy and they consider the text Christ the King Lord of History to be a World History course. I guess the inclusion of ancient history makes it more than just a European History text because when most people say European History they mean more modern European History.. The MPOA AP European History is 1500s to the present.
            Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
            DD College Freshman

Comment

That's a good point about out of state applicants. The document I am looking at is linked on the university website to a document on the University System of Georgia website, and the FAQ is part of that document. I am waiting on a call back to see specifically what I have to show in terms of each history credit. According to the state standards It looks like the only areas we did not cover were Inca/Aztec/Maya, China, Japan, and Africa, but I am concerned that we did Ancients in 7th grade and I really hate to have to go that far back.
              DD 17 | 12th
              DS 15 | 9th
              DD 13 | 8th
              2021-2022

Comment

Let us know what you find out. I sort of doubt they have a certain number of hours you need on each topic. Maybe something like a more mature version of story of the world that you could read and discuss, but not spend a ton of time on.
                Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                DD College Freshman

Comment

K12 has a couple high school level texts that are usually found cheap on Amazon. Add in some assignments and call it World History?
                  The Older Boys:
                  J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
                  S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
                  G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
                  D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
                  F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
                  M- 9/16

Comment

My son completed Geo III (he had not done I or II) in 10th grade. He did not do the Robinson Project, but I assigned him at least 1 and sometimes 2 from the Honors Section in the back.

I gave him a 1/2 credit, according to the advice from HSLDA.

But if you go the Geo III route, make a note that what is covered on the tests is often NOT covered in the unit's questions. I often had to either 1) re-write the questions or 2) re-write the test, based on what I wanted him to know.

Geo III certainly covers world history from a tree-top perspective. My son, who had minimal geography in the past, really enjoyed the actual content of the course. Layout, not so much.
                    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:
                    11th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and BJU
                    9th grade DD: Mostly 9M, MPOA, and French
                    7th grade DD: 7M
                    5th Grade DD: 5M
                    4.5 yo DS: Outside as much as possible beating on things with sticks; MP Jr. K and Mom made fun things

Comment

Kolbe lists their 9th & 10th grades histories as "World History I - Greece" and "World History II - Rome". So maybe I will just add Geography III (especially given that I have it sitting on the shelf), although I may upgrade to a more detailed atlas. The honors activities look pretty good, and that on top of Ancients, Greek, Roman, Medieval, and European should be sufficient coverage of the world.

I have heard someone complain before about the tests not matching up well with the questions in the student guide. If they don't come from the student guide, from where do they come?
                      Last edited by jenniferjb; 02-26-2022, 10:18 AM.
                      DD 17 | 12th
                      DS 15 | 9th
                      DD 13 | 8th
                      2021-2022

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
                        Kolbe lists their 9th & 10th grades histories as "World History I - Greece" and "World History II - Rome". So maybe I will just add Geography III (especially given that I have it sitting on the shelf), although I may upgrade to a more detailed atlas. The honors activities look pretty good, and that on top of Ancients, Greek, Roman, Medieval, and European should be sufficient coverage of the world.

I have heard someone complain before about the tests not matching up well with the questions in the student guide. If they don't come from the student guide, from where do they come?
                        Most of the questions on the test come from the student guide, but there are often 1-2 questions on each test that are not in the student guide. The answers are in the text, but unless a teacher points out to know that info, there really isn’t a way for the student to distinguish that it is valuable information to study. I asked MP about it a few years ago and they said that is to prep them for high school where questions don’t always come directly from the guide. However, I feel like these questions are random facts and not overall general information that should have gained just from reading.
                        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                        DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                        DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                        DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                        (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                        DS, 21, Physics and math major
                        DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
                        DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
                        DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Working...
                        X