New to MP and some other things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MP and some other things

We have primarily used an education method that has left us quite behind in some things. My high school students have never done literature guides, poetry(other than reading it), literary elements/figurative language, etc. Basically, they have not done much outside of traditional grammar. I am wanting to possibly have them do some of these things, that are foreign to them, over the last half of the year. The problem is, I have no idea where to place them. Can anyone help? I appreciate your time.

Hi! Many of us found ourselves in this boat before MP (and I couldn't even say my kids had much grammar!) Can you share your teens' ages? Are there any learning challenges?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Comment

They are 17 and 15 with no learning challenges.

Comment

The American Poetry and Short Stories would be a great introduction to this type of literature analysis. Also pick a novel that you think they would enjoy and do the literature guide for it. You could probably do many of the stories and poems from the American poetry book plus one or two novels this spring. Maybe an easier book like To Kill A Mockingbird or Pride and Prejudice or the Sherlock Holmes one.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
        (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
        DS, 21, Physics and math major
        DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
        DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
        DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

I know your kids are in high school, but if you're looking for an introduction to literary terms, I would recommend The Wind in the Willows study guide. Ths story is so enjoyable just as a story, with lots of humorous parts, as well as more thoughtful parts. The study guide starts with a list of basic literary elements, and these are revisited throughout the novel as examples occur. The guide also includes essay prompts after every few chapters, which provide a good opportunity to work on writing skills. Although it's scheduled for 8th grade, it could be a good starting place for high schoolers who need a foundation.

Then, I second the recommendation for the American poetry and short stories anthology with study guide. From there, pick the titles that appeal to you and the kids from the high school level offerings. I would definitely urge them to read and study at least one Shakespeare play!
          Amy

Fall 2022:
          DS 14 9th
          DD 12 7th
          DS 10 5th
          DD 7 2nd
          DS 5 K
          DS 2

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

I would also consider offering your teens a couple choices from the Memoria Press catalogue (you could choose options that would be appropriate, like the suggestions above) and then getting their buy in.
              Kristi
              DS 14 (9th grade)

Comment

Originally posted by smithamykat View Post
                I know your kids are in high school, but if you're looking for an introduction to literary terms, I would recommend The Wind in the Willows study guide. Ths story is so enjoyable just as a story, with lots of humorous parts, as well as more thoughtful parts. The study guide starts with a list of basic literary elements, and these are revisited throughout the novel as examples occur. The guide also includes essay prompts after every few chapters, which provide a good opportunity to work on writing skills. Although it's scheduled for 8th grade, it could be a good starting place for high schoolers who need a foundation.

Then, I second the recommendation for the American poetry and short stories anthology with study guide. From there, pick the titles that appeal to you and the kids from the high school level offerings. I would definitely urge them to read and study at least one Shakespeare play!
                I thoroughly agree with this answer. I was going to suggest The Wind in the Willows, too. I would be sure to write the Central One Idea essaysm too. This book is a great introduction to the format of the high school literature. Writing the essays will give them practice for what's expected, too.

American Poetry and Short Stories will meet your other needs.
                Homeschooling 11 years, 9th year with MP
                DS 14 - 8A
                DS 11 - 6A

Comment

Working...
                X