Algebra 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Algebra 1

I am back with math questions. I was thinking I would have my 12 year old daughter start Derek Owens Algebra 1 when she completes her pre-algebra course in the next month or so. Of course I started reading reviews and although I haven’t found anything negative about Derek Owens, I started thinking that I could possibly work through Forester’s Algebra book with her instead (I saw that MPOA teaches this text.)

My background is engineering, so math is a favorite of mine and I enjoy teaching it. That said, my daughter is the oldest of four kiddos that I am teaching and I am already spread pretty thin between all 4. I don’t want to hold her back and originally thought using Derek Owens would allow her to move forward in learning without me.

Would it be possible for her to work through Forester independently for the most part? I like the idea of allowing her to pace the course and not be tied down to the video schedule of Derek Owens. But, I like that Derek Owens would provide a grading service and teaching videos. I am also thinking we may use Derek Owens for Calculus, so maybe it makes sense to jump in at Algebra 1??

Any insight, wisdom, or experience is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    2021-2022
    9th year Homeschooling
    6th year MP
    Home + MPOA
    7th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st

I just checked MPOA and they don’t use Foerster. They use a Prentice Hall Classic by Smith which is the same book MP used before Video Text and which MP still has lesson plans and tests for. https://www.amazon.com/PRENTICE-SMIT...gateway&sr=8-1

I’ve used this text for two students. I have used Foerster Algebra 2, Pre-calculus, and Calculus with a different student but not his Algebra 1. I also have not used D.O. The Smith book MPOA uses is a very straight forward text that teaches the concept, gives examples, and assigns straight forward work with some optional challenging questions. The Foerster books I used have a bit of a discovery aspect to them. Students are taught the concept and given some straight forward problems, but are also given problems that lead to discovery of the next topic. It sometimes frustrated my daughter who wanted to be taught first rather than discover, although my son did fine. I prefer the Smith book right now as I like the straight forward approach. I think Foerster also had too much focus on specific calculator use and computer programs that are now obsolete.

MPOA uses the Smith texts for Algebra 1 and 2 and switch to Larson for pre-calculus and calculus. I’ve used Larson for pre-calculus. I liked the text but wish MP had support for it in the form of lesson plans and tests. The Smith and Larson books are best used when a teacher teaches. I usually spend 5-10 minutes a day teaching the new material to my son. If you need an outside teacher due to time, either consider MP’s VideoText or go with your D.O. option.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

I ❤️ Foerster for Algebra 1, but Memoria Press has never taught it. It is a gem of a book. Memoria Press, however, used to have a different Prentice Hall classics text by a different author that went out of print a few years ago so they now sell videotext. I am afraid that Foerster may be currently out of print at the moment as I have seen that the solutions manual is no longer available at Rainbow Resource. It was a much more popular text so there shouldn’t be any trouble finding used copies. We have the math without borders videos which provide lectures and worked out video solutions to the assigned problems. I think a child could work through the book independently, but my kids struggle with staying on track and needed assistance on some of the word problem sections. I did discover kathywarmantutoring.com this semester and I am having my older son in algebra 2 try out. She uses the Foerster textbooks along with the Jurgensen geometry text. She offers zoom tutoring where the students can ask questions and talk to her as well as giving and grading assignments. You might check it out if you want some help. Let me know if you have any other questions. I have never used Derek Owens, but I have heard good reviews from many people.
      Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
      15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
      DD College Freshman
      DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
      DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
      DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

In regards to the comment by momgineer, the classics edition of the Foerster algebra 1 deleted the chapter on programming and replaced it with a chapter on probability. I initially had a seriously old (1980s copy) for my daughter that I replaced with the classics edition. My son is currently in chapter 7 and I haven’t run into any specific calculator instructions that I couldn’t just adapt. It does require some calculator use, but not a specific model. I really do love it much more than the Smith text which I gave away (well loaned, but it never came back and I am not even sad about it)
        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
        DD College Freshman

Comment

momgineer Thank you! In your opinion is VideoText rigorous enough for a child who plans to go into math/sciences? She would like to complete B-C Calculus in high school and I want to make sure she has a very solid foundation. I am not familiar with VideoText. Thank you, again!
          2021-2022
          9th year Homeschooling
          6th year MP
          Home + MPOA
          7th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st

Comment

Mom2mthj Thank you! Do the videos include instruction on the concepts? On average, how much one on one teaching time is required per lesson. My daughter is a strong math student but definitely needs some hand holding when introduced to a new topic.
            2021-2022
            9th year Homeschooling
            6th year MP
            Home + MPOA
            7th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st

Comment

math without borders - There are video lectures for each section and a separate video with solutions
              Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
              DD College Freshman

Comment

Originally posted by HartFamily06 View Post
                momgineer Thank you! In your opinion is VideoText rigorous enough for a child who plans to go into math/sciences? She would like to complete B-C Calculus in high school and I want to make sure she has a very solid foundation. I am not familiar with VideoText. Thank you, again!
                I have not used Videotext so I’m not sure. It currently isn’t complete enough to be considered full pre-calculus so you would need a bridge pre-calculus program before calculus.

Regarding Foerster- I didn’t use his Algebra 1. The outdated parts I was referring to were in a pre-calculus book where they were finding r values when fitting points to a curve. I just remember it always referring to a computer program to calculate it for you.
                I did have a son who mostly self taught pre-calculus and calculus with Foerster with no videos. I did go over question he had, but I was so busy with other kids, he just did the work himself. He took the BC AP exam and got a 3 on the BC and a 5 on the AB part. He is now a math major though so math comes pretty easily and he still only hit a 3 on the BC part- probably because he didn’t really study for it.
                Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                DS, 21, Physics and math major
                DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
                DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
                DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

We are using the VideoText Algebra 2 this year. I love how it is taught (Tom's organization and structure of the class is marvelous) with the small consumable concepts in each video. I would say what I do is more tutoring...like working practice problems on the board with my son for example. My son will be on track to take Calculus in 12th grade, but he (at this point) isn't looking at STEM careers (even though both my husband and I are engineers). My son has loved the way it's presented so we plan on doing Geometry with Video Text next year. I've also realized that VideoText doesn't have a full pre-calculus, so after geometry I'll be looking for another avenue.

My son also does not do well with 'teaching himself from a book'. He needs the VideoText videos to break it down. My husband though was great at self-teaching and went through several math books in one year at the high school level. So, I think it really depends on how motivated your daughter is and how capable (and accountable) she would be at learning straight from a book on her own. Does she really want to have the independence?

Kristi
                  DS 14 (9th grade)

Comment

My dd (who completed BC lat year) used Foerster for Algebra 1. We used the Smith book as a back up. I watched the MWB videos as a refresher in the morning for me. I liked the book, but if I had it to do again, I might has used Derek Owens.

She used Smith for Algebra 2 and then repeated it with Derek Owens. She did precalc with Derek Owens. Geometry was Holt with the Thinkwell videos. She also did some math electives. I haven’t seen VideoText to comment.

She’s majoring in Mechanical Engineering in the fall.
                    Bean. Long time MP user. Almost retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian. Teaching a "Children's Lit for Educators" class this semester!

I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD (16) Graduating May 2022!
                    Mechanical Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (9): MP 3A

Comment

Thank you all so much for your wisdom and input!! I appreciate you all so much!
                      2021-2022
                      9th year Homeschooling
                      6th year MP
                      Home + MPOA
                      7th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st

Comment

Working...
                      X