Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Rhetoric

Hello!

We are just starting Classical Rhetoric and using it for a semester course only. We have the DVDs as well. Can yall give me any tips on how and when to watch the DVD lessons. It seems if he was to just read Aristotle then watch the DVD then he would be supplied with all the answers to the questions. I could be wrong about this as I haven't watched the whole lesson yet. Also, it video track list lists 10 lessons but there are 16 in the book?? Do the lessons on the DVD sometimes cover more than one lesson from the book??

Any tips or tricks for an independent student to lead himself through this in a semester would be helpful. What all would yall recommend we skip in order to accomplish the basics in one semester. I am only planning on .5 credit. Thanks!!!!

tanya Any suggestions? I haven’t used this course yet so I can’t help.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Hello, and sorry for the delay. I was out with Covid last week and unable to access our server from home to check the DVDs. I do know that there is a dvd lesson for each chapter in the book, so I'm not sure why the video track list stops after Lesson 10 so I will have to check that. (I do plan on returning to the office tomorrow.)

I think you would read the chapter and then watch the dvds and then do the written work. The dvds will be more helpful if the student has read first. Martin is reinforcing what has been taught in the reading, so the student would need to watch the dvds with book in hand. Between the initial reading and the dvd lectures, the student will be well-prepared for the written work.

I will get that track list corrected!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        Hello, and sorry for the delay. I was out with Covid last week and unable to access our server from home to check the DVDs. I do know that there is a dvd lesson for each chapter in the book, so I'm not sure why the video track list stops after Lesson 10 so I will have to check that. (I do plan on returning to the office tomorrow.)

I think you would read the chapter and then watch the dvds and then do the written work. The dvds will be more helpful if the student has read first. Martin is reinforcing what has been taught in the reading, so the student would need to watch the dvds with book in hand. Between the initial reading and the dvd lectures, the student will be well-prepared for the written work.

I will get that track list corrected!

Tanya
        No problem, Tanya! Thank you for your response here. I hope you are feeling better. I was sick all last week too!

Thank you for the tips!

Side note- I have really been enjoying the Et Cetera round table discussions! All so good! Can't wait for the next one. I always learning something and most of all am inspired and encourage to press on!

Tara

P.S. If you happen to get the video track list figured out or updated, might you let me know here or maybe share it here?? I will try to remember to keep my eye out for it as well so no worries! :-)
        Thank you for all you do!

Comment

Hi, Tara.

Sorry you have been sick. I am not as strong as I thought I was, but I'm hoping to make it through the day. It's hard to get back to 100% when you have sat around for a week, which is what I did last week!

We are working on the track list and will hopefully have it up on our website by the end of the day!

I'm so glad you are enjoying Classical Et Cetera. We have fun doing it; it's easy for us since it's just an extension of conversations we have around here all the time!

Tanya

Comment

Sorry! We won't have it up today because our content manager is out, but he will be back tomorrow and can get it done.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Sorry! We won't have it up today because our content manager is out, but he will be back tomorrow and can get it done.

Tanya
              No problem, Tanya! Thank you! Take care! :-) I sat around all last week as well and this is the first day I actually got up with my alarm and started school on time. Win!

Comment

Working...
              X