Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teaching Latin at home without MPOA after 4th Form

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Teaching Latin at home without MPOA after 4th Form

    My daughter started 9th grade this year and requested Latin as her high school language. She was studying both Latin and Spanish prior to this year, but with more intense math and science this year, something had to give. Latin won out as my daughter loves it.

    I was skeptical we could complete 4th Form independently but with the help of the excellent texts, lesson plans, and instructional videos, it's gone swimmingly thus far.

    I'd love to stay completely independent next year if possible. DD has completed self-paced asynchronous classes (ex: Derek Owens) and completely independent classes and both options have worked very well for her. Being able to control our schedule and the pace of the material has been one of the best aspects of homeschooling to date. We also school year round, and therefore don't need to sync up with a fall class start.

    After that long preamble.....has anyone had a successful experience completing Henle Latin II and onward completely independently, without the help of MPOA or any other live online source? I wish there were at least videos available after 4th Form. I've gotten spoiled by all of the excellent MP instructional videos we've used so far! I've completed this courses with DD as a "fellow student", however, she's much better than me at Latin so I'm wondering how I'll fare grading her translations.

    I really appreciate any insight!
    DD 14 - MP 9

    #2
    I hope to hear if someone is able to provide some of their experiences. My older two used MPOA for upper levels of Latin, but I am currently working through Third Form with my son. I don’t have a Latin background. I am not holding my breath for much help at that level from MP even in the short term. I haven’t had much luck finding a local in person tutor, but maybe find someone (online most likely) could be found who is willing to give feedback on translations for a fee.
    Dorinda

    Plans for 2021-2022
    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Freshman
    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

    Comment


      #3
      I've been thinking some grown MP kids need to take this up as a side business.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

      2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
      10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
      7th • HLN & Home
      4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

      Comment


        #4
        After Henle I or Fourth Form, Henle II can be studied independently. The first 16 lessons are a review and solidifying of what the student has learned before. The final 16 lessons cover new, more advanced concepts. The lessons prepare the student to read part of Caesar's De Bello Gallico, The Gallic War, at the end of the academic year (as well as to study, in the following year, all the Caesar passages covered in-depth in the AP Latin Exam).

        The translations for the lesson exercises and for the Caesar readings are already provided for you in the Henle Answer Key. There is often a literal translation and also a translation in somewhat smoother English.

        But do not be surprised if MP does provide more guidance for studying Henle II. In the meantime, you can always come on the Forum and get help with Henle II or Caesar-related questions.

        Bonnie


        Comment


          #5
          To follow up what Bonnie said, yes, Henle II can absolutely be studied independently. In fact, Bonnie is being a bit modest, as she has been working on some stellar Henle II material for us, which we hope to have news about in the next few months. Even so, Henle II has always been our post-Forms recommendation and, since things have gone swimmingly so far, I have little doubt that your student will find it a suitably gentle on-ramp to full translation.

          - Jon

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
            I've been thinking some grown MP kids need to take this up as a side business.
            I like this idea!
            DD 14 - MP 9

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
              After Henle I or Fourth Form, Henle II can be studied independently. The first 16 lessons are a review and solidifying of what the student has learned before. The final 16 lessons cover new, more advanced concepts. The lessons prepare the student to read part of Caesar's De Bello Gallico, The Gallic War, at the end of the academic year (as well as to study, in the following year, all the Caesar passages covered in-depth in the AP Latin Exam).

              The translations for the lesson exercises and for the Caesar readings are already provided for you in the Henle Answer Key. There is often a literal translation and also a translation in somewhat smoother English.

              But do not be surprised if MP does provide more guidance for studying Henle II. In the meantime, you can always come on the Forum and get help with Henle II or Caesar-related questions.

              Bonnie

              Thank you for this encouragement. I'm definitely in need of some additional hand-holding at this level, however -- either something akin to the Forms guides or via an online course.
              DD 14 - MP 9

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Jon Christianson View Post
                To follow up what Bonnie said, yes, Henle II can absolutely be studied independently. In fact, Bonnie is being a bit modest, as she has been working on some stellar Henle II material for us, which we hope to have news about in the next few months. Even so, Henle II has always been our post-Forms recommendation and, since things have gone swimmingly so far, I have little doubt that your student will find it a suitably gentle on-ramp to full translation.

                - Jon
                I'm excited to hear this! It may be perfect timing for us as well -- right as we're about to wrap up Fourth Form. Looking forward to hearing about the latest release....
                DD 14 - MP 9

                Comment

                Working...
                X