Where would you even begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where would you even begin?

If you were going to homeschool a freshman that was very behind in reading and language arts, how would you even begin figuring out where to start?

Is there a chance there might be some dyslexia in the mix, or just educational neglect/ disrupted education? Has the student learned cursive?

I put a 7th/ 8th grade student through Logic of English Essentials (first edition) and cursive. He was not a dx dyslexic, but he did reverse some letters. It did move him along pretty quickly. This was back when MP was still using Rod and Staff, so I haven't been through the Traditional Spelling books with a student. I have very successfully used Classical Phonics to get a few kids of various ages reading, though.
    Last edited by bean; 09-22-2021, 05:45 AM.
    Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

I went over and looked at the second edition of LoE Essentials. She's added a lot of moving parts. Back then, I used the 1-7 TE and workbooks and the handwriting cursive workbook. I was teaching three students at three levels from it at the time, and some of the other resources would have been handy for my younger ones, but those three things were all I needed for the older guy. Essentials 1-7 Struggling Reader Set (logicofenglish.com)

There are free videos for the sounds, too. She sounds like a second grade teacher. (warning the page auto plays): Essentials 1-7 Lite (logicofenglish.com)

Others can maybe speak to maybe using Traditional Spelling the same way? Essentials is nice if you're unsure of where a student's learning holes are. It was originally written for older students/ adults with literacy issues.
      Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Jessica Louise,

I would start where your student is and work from there. I just answered your post about 4th grade literature, and I would use the same method with any student who was behind. Start with a comfortable reading level for your student, and work together, modeling so that your student can be successful.

You might want to reach out to Cheryl Swope if you feel there is something going on that needs more specific help. If you give her more information about your student, I'm sure she would be glad to help you come up with a plan!

Tanya

Comment

When I was a teacher I would occasionally use the San Diego Quick Reading Assessment as a way of knowing how to best place a student. It by no means is a comprehensive reading assessment or a tool to help diagnosis reading disabilities but would give you a starting point for literature and language arts. It is simple to administer. https://readingsimplified.com/wp-con...Assessment.pdf
          Heidi

For 2021-22
          dd- 6th
          ds- 3rd
          dd- 1st
          ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Question about that reading assessent thingy. I just gave it to my 13 yr old daughter who read all but about 8 correctly. Do you place according to the first list with the first word they cannot read?
            The Homeschool Grads:
            J- 6/96
            S- 11/98

Homeschooling:
            G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
            D- 5/05
            F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
            M- 9/16: JrK

Comment

You stop the assessment when a child misses 3 words in a level. 3 errors means that level or above would be at child’s frustrational level; 2 errors is the child’s instructional level; 1 error is the child’s independent level. Again, this is only a quick assessment and not a comprehensive one. It doesn’t take into account many other components of reading, such as comprehension or fluency. Also, it doesn’t consider emotional maturity. I’ve seen children who can read all of the words at a young age but by no means are ready for 11th grade literature selections.
              Heidi

For 2021-22
              dd- 6th
              ds- 3rd
              dd- 1st
              ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Thanks, Heidi! That makes sense.
                The Homeschool Grads:
                J- 6/96
                S- 11/98

Homeschooling:
                D- 5/05
                F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:

Comment

And I have my own 9th grader question- if we cannot possibly do literature AND poetry AND classics at the same time, which should we drop or rather how do we fit it all in?
                  The Homeschool Grads:
                  J- 6/96
                  S- 11/98

Homeschooling:
                  D- 5/05
                  F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:

Comment

Hello.

Depending on what you are doing for classics, that can be treated as literature. The Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, Greek Tragedies are all literature - classic literature. So consider making that your literature credit. That will free you up. And just do the poetry that you can. Do the best you can and spend at least an hour a day on literature. And all will be well!

Tanya
                    ​​​​​​​

Comment

Thank you, tanya!
                      The Homeschool Grads:
                      J- 6/96
                      S- 11/98

Homeschooling:
                      D- 5/05
                      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:

Comment

Working...
                      X