Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8M for 9th?

Hello all,

I’m looking a bit ahead here, but I am curious. Do any of you experienced MP parents think that the 8M core is a viable/sufficient course of study for a 9th grader? I’m not sure how it will all shake out in our middle school years as far as content/mastery of prerequisite subjects, so this may not even be a thought on my mind in 3 years. (And it is also quite possible I will be having my oldest take the MPOA Comp. classes in HS.)
    But, I still thought I’d ask! Has anyone done 8M in 9th? What subjects would you adjust?

Thanks!
    Blessings,
    ~Sarah Marie

My oldest, currently, essentially doing the 5th grade core this year (with 6th grade math and latin) will be doing this. I remember Tanya at one point saying if you "only" do the 10th grade MP core through high school, your child is still receiving a wonderful education. I remember reading the Oddessy in the 9th or 10th grade!

All of that said, by the 9th grade there are not many homeschoolers that use a standard full core. There are many choices and it depends on the child's path after high school, etc so things tend to get more customize.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
      My oldest, currently, essentially doing the 5th grade core this year (with 6th grade math and latin) will be doing this. I remember Tanya at one point saying if you "only" do the 10th grade MP core through high school, your child is still receiving a wonderful education. I remember reading the Oddessy in the 9th or 10th grade!

All of that said, by the 9th grade there are not many homeschoolers that use a standard full core. There are many choices and it depends on the child's path after high school, etc so things tend to get more customize.
      That is a helpful reminder! Thank you. I do need to keep my focus on the path up the mountain and doing the next right thing, not just aligning with a core.
      Blessings,
      ~Sarah Marie

Comment

Originally posted by theolivecreative View Post
        Hello all,

I’m looking a bit ahead here, but I am curious. Do any of you experienced MP parents think that the 8M core is a viable/sufficient course of study for a 9th grader? I’m not sure how it will all shake out in our middle school years as far as content/mastery of prerequisite subjects, so this may not even be a thought on my mind in 3 years. (And it is also quite possible I will be having my oldest take the MPOA Comp. classes in HS.)
        But, I still thought I’d ask! Has anyone done 8M in 9th? What subjects would you adjust?

Thanks!
        I will likely be in this boat with my twin boys, so I say a RESOUNDING yes. <3
        Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
        DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Hello.

This will work for the most part. The main concern I would have is science and math. If you want to get to AP science or math, you will need to be ahead of the 8M schedule. You can use physical science for a high school credit, but you would need to do the experiments so you have a lab. We typically do biology in 9th, chemistry in 10th, physics in 11th, and AP in 12th. (Our non-AP students do Anatomy in 12th.) For my kids, there was no way they were going to get through an AP science, so this 8M plan would have been fine, and that may be the case for you. The same would be true of math. If you want to do AP Calculus, you will need to be ahead of the 8M math. If not, no worries.

Geography III would only be half a high school credit unless you do all the honors work in the back of the book. But honestly, I would just let it be half a credit. You will have a history credit with classical studies.

Everything else looks good to me for high school! Treasure Island and Tom Sawyer won't be all that challenging, but the introduction to Shakespeare and the poetry will offset that.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            Hello.

This will work for the most part. The main concern I would have is science and math. If you want to get to AP science or math, you will need to be ahead of the 8M schedule. You can use physical science for a high school credit, but you would need to do the experiments so you have a lab. We typically do biology in 9th, chemistry in 10th, physics in 11th, and AP in 12th. (Our non-AP students do Anatomy in 12th.) For my kids, there was no way they were going to get through an AP science, so this 8M plan would have been fine, and that may be the case for you. The same would be true of math. If you want to do AP Calculus, you will need to be ahead of the 8M math. If not, no worries.

Geography III would only be half a high school credit unless you do all the honors work in the back of the book. But honestly, I would just let it be half a credit. You will have a history credit with classical studies.

Everything else looks good to me for high school! Treasure Island and Tom Sawyer won't be all that challenging, but the introduction to Shakespeare and the poetry will offset that.

Tanya
            Thank you for this helpful reply (even though I am not the original poster). I'm posting my plan for the original poster to give her ideas (and check my own plan!!) We are already off core with a mix of two years, which I admit drives me batty, but we have seen great success with. (for example, we are on 5th Classical/Christian, and Geography - but 6th grade science, math, latin, ) (my mother is teaching grammar/writing and the literature - we selected Heidi, Magician's Nephew and 21 Balloons)

I have mis-understood that the Geo 3 would only be 1/2 a credit for 9th grade, so I'm glad I know that now, in 6th grade! I'm looking at our state standards (which I am choosing to follow, but not required) and we are to do either a World History or World Geography as the 1 credit, so now I see how to make sure I can make it fulfill that. The 7th/8th/9th plan is: (spelling not included, but will continue through the SW until she's done)

7th
            Latin (where ever we are - meaning if we finish 2nd, we'll move to 3rd Form, etc)...we are just working at a pace that seems reasonable for the child. We'll start 2nd Form next week!
            Math Pre-Algebra (but willing to do R&S7, if necessary)
            Science: Trees/Bio
            Classical/Christian - FMOG/CS3 (we will read FMOMA over the summer)
            Literature - Selecting 3 books - probably Anne of Green Gables (will it be a jump to go from doing Heidi, Magician's Nephew and 21 Balloons this year to this?), Trojan War + 1 more
            Geography - Book 2
            English/Writing with a "teacher" - my mother!)

8th
            Latin (same as the year before, just moving forward, wherever that might be)
            Math Algebra 1 (or Pre-Algebra if necessary)
            Science: Physical Science or Earth (not sure yet!) Novare
            No Classical/Christian - we are doing a heavy Confirmation class - so this time slot will be heavy on Catechism/Bible, etc
            Guerber AM History
            Literature - 8th grade set (not sure we will get to Shakespeare?)
            English/Writing: (with a "teacher" my mother)

9th
            Latin (keep moving forward)
            Math (Video Text)
            Science: (Novare Intro to Physics or Bio..will decide later)
            Classical/Christian: Book of Greece, more Confirmation prep
            Geography 3 (with honors work)
            Literature: 2 Novels 1st semester, Illiad/Odyssey 2nd Semester)
            English - not sure yet

Do I put Logic in there somewhere? Am I missing anything else?

Christine

(2021/2022)
            DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
            DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
            DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1

Comment

Christine,

This looks good. Traditional Logic is an English credit (or an elective). I don't like logic before high school because I feel like students are more developmentally ready for it then, and it is a better use of time since you can do it in one year instead of two. Just looking at your schedule for 9th grade, I would say you use Geography III without the honors work as 1/2 of your world history credit and Greek history as the other half since you have put Homer in as literature (which is just fine). The question then becomes, can your 9th grader handle adding on Traditional Logic? You don't really know yet, so I would wait and see on that one. You have four years to get logic and rhetoric in, so if you could do a semester each year, you would make it. Maybe choose the easiest semester to add it onto. These are all half credits: Traditional Logic I, Traditional Logic II, Material Logic, and Rhetoric. Just squeeze them in where you can. You have plenty of time!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you! That was very helpful and eases my mind! I also have no idea why there is a frown face next to saying my mother is teaching middle school Language Arts! I'm elated she is doing this.
                Christine

(2021/2022)
                DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
                DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                  Thank you! That was very helpful and eases my mind! I also have no idea why there is a frown face next to saying my mother is teaching middle school Language Arts! I'm elated she is doing this.
                  It's an auto-correct from your putting a colon and then an open parenthesis mark! Some devices change this to a frown emoji.
                  Amy

DS 13 MP8
                  DD 11 MP6
                  DS 9 MP4
                  DD 6 MP1
                  DS 4 R&S Pre-k books
                  DS 1

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

I will likely be in this boat with my twin boys, so I say a RESOUNDING yes. <3
                    Solidarity, sister!
                    Blessings,
                    ~Sarah Marie

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                      Hello.

Tanya
                      Wow, Tanya, thank you so much for your detailed answer! This helps me sort it all out if we do end up there when the time comes!
                      Blessings,
                      ~Sarah Marie

Comment

Working...
                      X