Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many classes should a high school student take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many classes should a high school student take?

I am about to finally order curriculum and I am confused about how many classes a high school student should take. When I look at the MP catalog it looks like a student should take:
    1. Literature
    2. Latin/foreign language
    3. Classical Studies 4. Christian Studies
    5. Math
    6. Composition
    7. Science
    8. Logic
    9. Modern history

This already seems like a lot of classes, and there is no art, music, physical education, or computer skills, nor any religion, so we are looking at a minimum of 10 classes a term to get those in. This seems overwhelming to me. My daughter is already taking literature, foreign language, classical studies, composition and modern history in online class formats of one or another. Obviously she has to also take math and science. I just don't know if I should be skipping Christian Studies, logic, and the electives (some of which a kid really ought to take at some point). It doesn't seem to get to be any less work until 11th and 12th grade, but by then it is advanced science and math, and pretty intensive modern history. What an I supposed to leave out, or do we just try to do it all and do 10 classes a term?
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella 9th grade with half MP and half Schole Academy classes
    Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

High school is more individual for most families, although we've never used a CM. Glance at some of the entrance requirements for schools your dd might be interested in applying to. That will give a sense of what needs to be covered.

I work at a university, so Dd takes free DE there. We count a semester of DE as a high school year. For example, last year, science was first semester at the DE school and all of history was second semester at home.

Others will answer differently. Our choices are based on what the colleges dd is applying to would like to see:

1) Literature, Classical Studies, or Composition in the "language arts" slot. I pick a choose based on what dd needs, although we write a lot with literature. We did use Rhetoric as a semester-long elective
    2.) Math
    3.) Science
    4.) Foreign Language (Latin for most people here)
    5.) History/ Economics/ Government (we don't treat religion as a school subject in our home). We won't do everything the MP schedules in this slot and did some things that they don't.
    6/7.) Academic Electives: These vary a lot. Some are art/ art history/ music theory, computer programming, etc.. We opted not to do PE because she's active otherwise (colleges don't care). Some of this happens over the summer. We also put logic/ math electives here. That gives you 8-16 spots for electives depending on if they are year long or semester long. So yes, you do really need to pick and choose to some extent.

Welcome to high school!
    Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Good advice already from Bean. Here's what it looks like for us.

Our homeschool umbrella program will only allow us to count 8 credits per high school year to avoid the look of padding on the transcript. Homeschoolers are often guilty of this because we want to see *all their work* represented on the transcript. That's why they use a hard ceiling of 8 credits.

Here's how I've made that work:
      -Combine English and Composition as one Honors credit (bc it's work for two classes). You can reduce the pace in composition of you need a little margin. You can read fewer lit books, but go deeper.
      -9th and especially 10th are the most full for my kids. That's when we add in the Logic/Rhetoric sequence. Those are lighter classes than most. 12th grade is the lightest which is good because several meaty classes take a lot of time. If you are pursuing college you potentially need a lot of bandwidth for applications, essays, visits, and scholarship writing, most of which fall in the summer/fall semester of senior year.
      -We do not do a modern history each year. We only do one really good year of American history. With them taking classics and Latin translation we just don't have the time. I count Cicero/Augustine as Classical Civics and pull up the BOAR/Aeneid as Ancient History (we do in 8th) for them other two required Social Studies credits (TN grad reqs). No Medieval/European history. It's ok. They have plenty of time.
      -We deemphasize Christian Studies as it's own credit, because there's simply no room and I know much is being done with these in Classics. I mentally count Divine Comedy, Augustine, Cicero, and Metaphysics (Boethius!!) as that for 10th/11th. Those show up in a high quality academic elective credit, one per year. 12th grade is a lot of reading at home in philosophy and apologetics. These aren't made into a class; I'm going more for familiarity with the authors and works. This is a first-pass and I'm ok with that. Add in support from home and church and we call it good.

I do not show all their sports and music on the transcript. That can be easily added to their activity resume/portfolio.

As stated above and always important in high school threads... These vary widely. You know your specific situation best:
      -Your specific state graduation requirements matter.
      -Your umbrella program's graduation requirements matter (if applicable).
      -Your after high school plans matter. (College reqs are not the same as state grad reqs.)
      -Your child's abilities and limits matter.
      -Your outsourcing opportunities matter (do you have local or online access, are you doing it all solo, etc.)
      -All of these factors may shift during high school.. Stay flexible. 🙃

Hope this helps!
      ​​​
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
      10th • HLN, Latin online
      7th • HLN & Home
      4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

So after reading these comments this is what we decided to do for the year, following bean's order since she replied first:

1. MP 11th Grade Literature (The Divine Comedy) with VitaBeata, the MP Video Lectures and
        2. MP VideoText Algebra 1
        3. Novare Introductory Physics with Schole Academy
        4. Honors Russian 1 with Schole Academy
        5. MP History with VitaBeata covering The Book of the Middle Ages and Renaissance and Reformation Times
        6. Logic 1 with Schole Academy

We are not doing Composition this year because Stella really wants to do High School Composition 2 with MPOA since she loved High School Composition 1 with MPOA so much last year (and we are praying that Mr. Reed returns!), but the time would not work with her other classes. Stella will get a lot of writing with The Divine Comedy, Vita Beata History (I am assigning her all of the workbook plus essays), and with Logic.

Stella already has 3 high school credits from MPOA for Latin, HS Comp 1, and Biology. She has also done 9th grade literature already so I could give her at least half a credit for it. However, I am not sure that 6 classes for 9th grade is enough. I do not know if I should be teaching her The Book of the Ancient Romans/The Aeneid and The Story of Christianity as a Classics class (de-emphasizing Christian Studies as pickandgrin suggests), and if I should also be doing something like Art or Music or PE (my County graduation requirements include 2 years of PE, but the state graduation requirements are in their first year of a new system and no one can figure out what exactly is required by them for homeschool yet). Would you add any classes to her current schedule? Three of the classes are really time consuming. Physics is because it meets for nearly 4 hours a week plus there is a lot of homework and Schole Academy makes the kids actually physically do the experiments and write full lab reports on them instead of just doing virtual experiments. Honors Russian is actually a college level class and is going to start requiring things like term papers on aspects of Russian culture and history (fortunately they can be in English because I do not know any Russian!). Finally, The Divine Comedy has video lectures, the Vita Beata class, the workbook, tests and quizzes, and we are also doing Baylor University's100 Days of Dante. I am sure that Stella could do another class as long as I could do it in 3 days a week since I spend 6 hours twice a week on average driving to and from Cheyenne, Wyoming to take my dog to his handler (he won again today, btw, so I am super proud and happy with him!). I don't want to do too little and since we are not even a month into the school year I could certainly add something in the next few weeks if people do not think that this is enough.
        JeJe Greer
        Mom to:

Comment

JeJe,
          Thanks for checking back in with what you decided to do! I think what you have sounds wonderful and I wouldn’t add anything of substance. If you keep up with the above all year, you are in great shape. My kids do have some physical education type stuff from swim team, but I don’t bother putting it on the transcript since my state doesn’t require it of homeschoolers. PE doesn’t have to be anything organized, but you might want to keep track of what she is already doing for exercise for when your state gets their act together on clarifying requirements. Best wishes for a great year!

One other thing, what is Baylor’s 100 Days of Dante? This Baylor grad has never heard of it before and is very intrigued 😀
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Mom2mthj it is fabulous! Here is the link: https://100daysofdante.com/
            JeJe Greer
            Mom to:

Comment

jejegreer
              Agreeing with Dorinda: If anything is added, it needs to be very light, especially since you have set online obligations. Those can really add up!
              Best wishes for a great year!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
              12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
              10th • HLN, Latin online
              7th • HLN & Home
              4th • HLN & Home
              Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I agree with Jessica and Dorinda. Looks good!
                If you do decide anything, make it super light. PE can just be logging the hours she is active, and that can happen over the summer if needed.
                Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Working...
                X