No announcement yet.

US history before European?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, then, let's philosophize about emojis. Are they the product - or are they the cause - of the decline (disappearance?) of sense of humor in our society? Do we need emojis because we have somehow become unable to understand our fellow men's emotions anymore, or can't we read emotions anymore because we've gotten so used to seeing them spelled out with emojis that without them we are at a loss? Sarcasm and irony are a prime example, but even simple jokes may make us anxious... "Am I reading this correctly??"
    So for instance, if I don't put any emojis at the end of this post, are you all really sure you can understand my intentions? I think the only possible conclusion is that written communication is unnatural, in the sense of going against the grain of unspoiled human nature, and so oral civilizations were inherently superior to ours, even though they lacked online forums and so we really wonder how they could flourish... but there it is.
    DS (15)
    DD (14)
    DS (7)

Comment

1) Beorn, How did you just post an emoji without 10 of them?!!!

2) Mrs. Bee, You have me wondering about my own reasoning. I think I use emojis for emphasis. I could tell Jessica thank you for approving of my soap box lecture, but it seems so much more graphic and exciting to express my feelings with a big smile. I think I use emojis as exclamations. I do wonder though how this is all going to look a couple of generations from now ...

Tanya

Comment

I was joking, I was joking! Although only partially, re: the difficulties with writing... we don't know everyone personally on this forum, so when we write to each other it can be tricky: emojis are a quick way to make ourselves clear. Hey, sometimes misunderstandings arise even when exchanging emails with people we know well! It does make me feel quite silly, though, to add all these
        DS (15)
        DD (14)
        DS (7)

Comment

I love this discussion! The way I think about emojis is they do provide clarification of your intention or disposition to go along with your words. Yes, words are very often misunderstood in written communication!

I think a wonderful goal for written communication is to be able to communicate what you intend by your words. We all know that is very difficult, and emojis help. But what if our words were sufficient? Perhaps that is too lofty of a goal. But I do think it's interesting. I listen to a lot of CS Lewis essays and try to let him coach me on explaining things. I have never once seen anything he wrote with an emoji, and yet I somehow feel like I can understand his tone. That's likely because he is a fantastic writer and communicator.

To circle this back around to your history question, maybe we should study written communication without emojis so that we can use/not use them properly now. Ha!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
          12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
          10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
          7th • HLN & Home
          4th • HLN & Home
          Me: Third Form Summer Intensive MPOA

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

One thing about emojis is their immediacy - one click and you've communicated all you needed. We could discuss this characteristic - connected to our general mania for speed - ad nauseam!
            But the revealing thing is that emojis are, for the most part, faces: it's a way to introduce into written communication a feature of in-person communication. Over the phone you don't see a face, but you can "read" the voice. And maybe one becomes so familiar, even intimate, with certain authors - or just certain people in general - that one can see the face and hear the voice even through the written page: I don't need my husband to explain to me that he's smiling or joking when he writes to me! Though, as I said, we can get all mixed up even with those we know well. As for C.S. Lewis (or Tolkien!), I'm sure there must have been many times when people around him wondered whether he was joking or not... and I imagine him quietly chuckling at their doubts. I think this would be a very British trait!
            DS (15)
            DD (14)
            DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
              One thing about emojis is their immediacy - one click and you've communicated all you needed. We could discuss this characteristic - connected to our general mania for speed - ad nauseam!
              But the revealing thing is that emojis are, for the most part, faces: it's a way to introduce into written communication a feature of in-person communication. Over the phone you don't see a face, but you can "read" the voice. And maybe one becomes so familiar, even intimate, with certain authors - or just certain people in general - that one can see the face and hear the voice even through the written page: I don't need my husband to explain to me that he's smiling or joking when he writes to me! Though, as I said, we can get all mixed up even with those we know well. As for C.S. Lewis (or Tolkien!), I'm sure there must have been many times when people around him wondered whether he was joking or not... and I imagine him quietly chuckling at their doubts. I think this would be a very British trait!
              Yep! (So now I have to have 10 words even though I have quoted more than 10 words? What kind of system is this?)

Comment

`
                2021/2022 (Planned) - 4th MP Year
                MP Dad & HLN Science Teacher/Tutor
                S - 7, 2nd Grader MP @ HLN & Home
                D - 5, Kindergartener MP @ HLN & Home
                S - 3, Junior Kindergartener MP @ Home

Comment

You guys are cracking me up.

I think emojis show that as a whole society is getting lazy. It is much easier to click a smile or such than to take the time to express oneself well. S refuses to use them or respond if one is sent to him. He finds it insulting feeling like the person does not see him as important enough to use words to convey their thoughts. Interesting stuff.
                  The Homeschool Grads:
                  J- 6/96
                  S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                  G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
                  D- 5/05
                  F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
                  M- 9/16

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                    You guys are cracking me up.

I think emojis show that as a whole society is getting lazy. It is much easier to click a smile or such than to take the time to express oneself well. S refuses to use them or respond if one is sent to him. He finds it insulting feeling like the person does not see him as important enough to use words to convey their thoughts. Interesting stuff.
                    Oh, this is rich! If you send an emoji you do not get a response. Saucy. I like it.

Beorn Now you are just showing off. Ha!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
                    4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Time to update the OP's subject line: US history before European? (rabbit trail: use of emojis and the impact on communication)
                      As a matter of fact, most every thread on this forum should be edited to flag the unrelated conversation that ended up happening as a digression.
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
                      4th • HLN & Home

Comment

I definitely use emojis, but I hear Kathy Becker's Sodalitas talk in my ear every. single. time. "Words are important. Emojis are not words."

Based on what has been said so far, there seem to be two reasons for emojis:

1. To give context to our words
                        2. To eliminate the need for words

At first glance, they do seem like shortcuts or an "easy way out" of deeper communication. However, these are the exact same things for which we use our facial expressions: to give context and to reply when we don't know how/what to say, shouldn't say anything, or don't want to say anything.

For that reason, I propose that emojis aren't the evil we make them out to be.
                        Jennifer
                        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
                        DS18: Almost done!
                        DS17: MP, MPOA
                        DS15: MP, MPOA
                        DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
                        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
                        DD9: SC3
                        DD6: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                          Beorn Now you are just showing off. Ha!
                          What can I say, we all have our "superpowers". tanya is the curriculum queen who has all the correct and definitive answers, pdf gems, and ability to move mountains when it comes to questions about curriculum and availabilities. I, on the other hand, know how to find vBulletin(R) Version 5.6.4 exceptions and use said exceptions for weak attempts at comedic relief to tangent threads (my apologies to Mrs Bee, the original poster).
                          Last edited by Beorn; 06-10-2021, 05:04 PM.
                          2021/2022 (Planned) - 4th MP Year
                          MP Dad & HLN Science Teacher/Tutor
                          S - 7, 2nd Grader MP @ HLN & Home
                          D - 5, Kindergartener MP @ HLN & Home
                          S - 3, Junior Kindergartener MP @ Home

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                            Time to update the OP's subject line: US history before European? (rabbit trail: use of emojis and the impact on communication)
                            As a matter of fact, most every thread on this forum should be edited to flag the unrelated conversation that ended up happening as a digression.
                            I don't always read the 9-12 posts, but it seems every time I do, there is some little rabbit trail that is actually pertinent to my current situation (not something for the future I expect to find in a 9-12 forum). I like emojis. They help convey what I would look like if I were in person!
                            Christine

(2021/2022)
                            DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
                            DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
                            DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
                            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
                            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
                            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

... I was passing by, and felt isnpired to add to the list of emoji-uses: I think that I use emojis because my handwriting isn't visible. There seems to be something about the speed at which online speech is read, the brevity expected, and the lack of handwriting -- with the physical sense of personality that comes from seeing the handwriting of anybody, let alone someone we know -- that makes emojis a powerful social lubricant in the engine of online communiques. Maybe.
                              Ana, mama to
                              ds A, 15 yo
                              ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Glad to see everyone's having fun! Yes, obviously emojis have been found useful. I do posit that they are a rather infantilized form of communication, being cartoonish and all that - at least, the best ones are cartoonish, the worst are appalling. They make me think of Roy Lichtenstein, who could be a "painter" only in the crazy '60s. The internet offers a remote form of communication, and we miss our faces... but an exchange of letters would present the same characteristic, and yet we can't imagine a well-bred writer from the past inserting emojis into correspondence. Can you imagine Jane Austen draw to a friend? Winston Churchill end a diary entry with his famous ✌? It just doesn't look serious, or rather, it looks badly mismatched with the position and character of the writer. Though who knows, word-hating Hemingway maybe would have loved emojis!
                                DS (15)
                                DD (14)
                                DS (7)

Comment

Working...
                                X