Need help designing 10th grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help designing 10th grade

My daughter is a busy athlete with a 20 hour a week job on top of her practices. We continue to homeschool so she can have this flexibility. She is a slow reader. She loves Memoria Press student guides which is why we've stayed with MP. But she is a mover more than a deep thinker at this point in her life.

This year she did Modern Biology, the 8th grade lit package with Little Women and Midsummer Nights Dream, Classical composition 3 and 4, Book of the Ancient World, Greeks, and Romans, and math. No Odyssey, Iliad, or Aeneid.

She hated school so much she wants to get her GED as soon as she can, which will be November of her 10th grade year. Even with her input on subbing books and modifying schedules. But she also knows that if this is all the education she is going to get, it better be enough to make her a thoughtful adult.

Now I need to make her 10th grade year and I'm not at all excited about it. So far I have Traditional Logic I & II, Renaissance & Reformation, Classical Comp 5, and I'll have to drag her along Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, maybe Romeo and Juliet.

My big question is where does Book of the Middle Ages fit in with Renaissance & Reformation? I see it is scheduled as part of the literature. Do they cover the same time period? Should we do one and then the other? And then what does the Story of Christianity cover? Would it be redundant to have all three?

In many, many instances, getting a GED is a poor choice for a homeschooler. Does she plan to go to college, a trade school, or into the military? ETA- I have one that will very likely graduate early and is already doing mostly college classes. She's just done with at-home classes and high school in general.
    Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) 11th or 12th: Aerospace enthusiast. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3

Comment

What state are you in and what are your state's credit/class requirements to graduate? Can you list those with what she's already done that will qualify, then just anything that falls under an elective separately?

And yes, what are her "after teen" plans?

What to do next always hinges on what you've already done and where you are headed.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
      10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
      7th • HLN & Home
      4th • HLN & Home
      Me: Third Form Summer Intensive MPOA

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Hello.

The Book of the Middle Ages is just included in literature as supplemental reading. We randomly assign the chapters to be read just to remind students what was going on in the time period they are reading in literature. That literature isn't easy since it is all medieval verse, so I'm afraid your daughter won't like it either! You could consider letting her choose 3 novels and a poetry set to do from our high school choices available. Maybe if she chooses, she won't be as critical of them and could possibly enjoy them.

The Story of Christianity is a survey of Christianity, so it is a nice way to tie up the history of the church chronologically for students. You don't have to have Christian studies and classical studies if that is too much for your daughter. They would both be history credits, so one would end up being an elective on a college transcript. So if you want to just do the Renaissance & Reformation, you could do that and not be missing anything. And it will certainly have lots of church history in it!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          Hello.

The Book of the Middle Ages is just included in literature as supplemental reading. We randomly assign the chapters to be read just to remind students what was going on in the time period they are reading in literature. That literature isn't easy since it is all medieval verse, so I'm afraid your daughter won't like it either! You could consider letting her choose 3 novels and a poetry set to do from our high school choices available. Maybe if she chooses, she won't be as critical of them and could possibly enjoy them.

The Story of Christianity is a survey of Christianity, so it is a nice way to tie up the history of the church chronologically for students. You don't have to have Christian studies and classical studies if that is too much for your daughter. They would both be history credits, so one would end up being an elective on a college transcript. So if you want to just do the Renaissance & Reformation, you could do that and not be missing anything. And it will certainly have lots of church history in it!

Tanya
          Thank you Tanya! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Comment

Hi,

I just wanted to say bless you for realizing what your daughter needs. The world would be a very stifling place, if we all stayed on the same path.

Blessings,
            Jude
            DD24
            DS21
            DS18
            DS16
            DD14
            DS11
            DD9

Comment

Here are a few literature year sets to spark ideas. We've vamped on the older MP sets and some we put together ourselves. We like the way they work together and aren't too much for students. Hope you can see this attachment. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210506-130753_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.2 KB ID:	129978
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
              4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
                Hi,

I just wanted to say bless you for realizing what your daughter needs. The world would be a very stifling place, if we all stayed on the same path.

Blessings,
                Jude
                Yes!

But do please check to see if you can just graduate her without doing the GED. It may not be necessary, and is some situations might actually be harmful. For example, if DC wants to take some college courses they are usually discounted or free for students who are technically still in high school. If she's done forever with all school, then sure, the GED might be okay, but it isn't a decision to make lightly: Getting a GED at 16 and then heading to CC - pros and cons? - The Chat Board - The Well-Trained Mind Community (welltrainedmind.com)
                Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) 11th or 12th: Aerospace enthusiast. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                  Here are a few literature year sets to spark ideas. We've vamped on the older MP sets and some we put together ourselves. We like the way they work together and aren't too much for students. Hope you can see this attachment. Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20210506-130753_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.2 KB ID:	129978
                  How many weeks do you spend on Anna Karina? Also, I need to look at Jaybar Crow. We are also probably putting together a last year of high school here, and I know we will likely do Anna Karina, but I'm not sure what else.

2021-2022

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post

How many weeks do you spend on Anna Karina? Also, I need to look at Jaybar Crow. We are also probably putting together a last year of high school here, and I know we will likely do Anna Karina, but I'm not sure what else.
                    bean I'll have to ask that teacher how many weeks they gave it. If I don't report back in, please remind me. This teacher is very experienced (5 years at HLN!) so we just handed this batch to her and let her run with it. It was a wonderful grouping of books for seniors, and it led to so many discussions on "What is a good life?"
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
                    4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Working...
                    X