Geometry recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geometry recommendations

Hello! I'd love some advice for geometry next year. We had planned to use the Jurgensen text (McDougal Littell) that MP used to use, but now I'm starting to consider VideoText. Can anyone give me your experience or recommendations for either of these? Or if you have a different geometry text you love, I'm open to suggestions!

My husband is a math teacher, so I'm not too concerned about the instruction/grading. However, he's pretty busy and sometimes doesn't get around to teaching when I need him to, so I thought Video Text might be a good idea. We did Prentice Hall for Algebra I/II, which we've been happy with. I've never been drawn to Video Text, but I'm starting to reconsider.

Also, one more follow-up question, if we do the Jurgensen text, does anyone know how much the different editions matter? I've been looking around at used texts, and it's hard to find the student book, teacher book, and solution key in the same year, so I'm wondering if they'd still line up.

Thanks!
    Pam
    Mom of 6, homeschooling for 9 years (MP for 7 years)
    DS, 15, 9th
    DS, 12, 7A
    DS, 10, 4A
    DS, 7, 1st
    DD, 4, preK
    DS, 2

I have never used video text, but I can speak a bit to Jurgensen. My daughter basically did it on her own and I graded things. I think if you have someone in the house to answer questions even if he is busy, then you should probably be just fine. Especially if he is available to check homework at night. I think by the time your child is in high school you can task your child to schedule an appointment with your husband the following day to review homework/new lesson material. In an online class a student is only going to get a day or two per week of instruction, so they don’t even have to meet together every day. As for editions the book hasn’t changed...just buy whichever one you find. My only problem was finding one where people hadn’t written in the student book - I think it took five tries. I highly recommend not buying used-acceptable or good for the student book. The solution manual is a must have. The teacher edition is really only useful for the tests at the beginning that are scheduled in the lesson plans, especially since your husband is a math teacher. Handy to have if you find it at the right price.
    Dorinda

For 2020-2021
    DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
    DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
    DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
    DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Mom2mthj Thank you! That is helpful. My son has basically done Pre-algebra through Algebra 2 independently, although he's required much more help with Algebra 2, so I'm guessing that would work fine for us.
      Mom of 6, homeschooling for 9 years (MP for 7 years)
      DS, 15, 9th
      DS, 12, 7A
      DS, 10, 4A
      DS, 7, 1st
      DD, 4, preK
      DS, 2

Comment

I've also bought them used on eBay, going by the ISBN recommended by MP. You've got to ask precise questions, and ask for real photos, too, not stock. I feel like there are a lot of laconic eBay sellers these days, it seems to cost them to describe things well, but it can be done!
        MP has by far the best price for the Solution Key.
        DS (15)
        DD (14)
        DS (7)

Comment

Working...
        X