Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CLEP exams (subject tests)

Hi friends!

Anyone have their kids take CLEP exams to validate their learning? What subjects? When?

Thanks!
    Kristi
    DS 13 (8th grade)

We prepared for Biology but couldn't get a seat to take the exam because of Covid. She prepared using the Modern Biology book and the Modern States course. Dd might still take it.

One of Dd's local friends will probably take the Calculus CLEP at the end of the year. She's using the Derek Owens Calc class.
    Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Just remember, CLEP is college level exams. They are not appropriate for showing mastery of high school material. Many colleges will give college credit for passing a CLEP test. So don’t expect to take a typical high school biology class and be prepared to pass a CLEP test. You would need an advanced biology class. For instance, MP uses Modern Biology which is a very intense biology book, but the homeschool lesson plans only do a very small part of the book. You would need to study much more of the book than the high school class studied.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 20, Physics major
      DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
      DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

We're planning on pursuing CLEP exams for our children, to pick up some general education credits and save money. I'm taking a hard look at Analyzing and Interpreting Literature as one of our first tests, and will likely explore some of the history exams as well.

So, we will be doing them, but not for 'homeschooling validation.'
        Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
        DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
        DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
        DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
        DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
        DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
          We prepared for Biology but couldn't get a seat to take the exam because of Covid. She prepared using the Modern Biology book and the Modern States course. Dd might still take it.

One of Dd's local friends will probably take the Calculus CLEP at the end of the year. She's using the Derek Owens Calc class.
          I'm STILL thinking about the Biology exam for Rachel. We're doing Holt Bio in the MPOA this year, so I would LOVE to see her study for about 6 weeks, then sit for the exam.

Did you all look at anything besides the Modern States course?
          Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

I'm STILL thinking about the Biology exam for Rachel. We're doing Holt Bio in the MPOA this year, so I would LOVE to see her study for about 6 weeks, then sit for the exam.

Did you all look at anything besides the Modern States course?
            I own the official book of College Board tests, but she won't use them unless we schedule a test.

She used the entire Modern States course, taking all of the quizzes, etc. She used the Holt book, but more of it than what MP schedules. I had already bought the teacher materials for Holt when MP's materials became available. She had already done a year of biology/ advanced life science, though too.
            Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

Comment

We're planning on pursuing CLEP exams for our children, to pick up some general education credits and save money. I'm taking a hard look at Analyzing and Interpreting Literature as one of our first tests, and will likely explore some of the history exams as well.

Glance through any prep materials you use to prep for that exam. Literature at the college level assumes that they are teaching adults, and the subject matter reflects that. I know that the textbook that is attached to the Modern States course would not be suitable for a high schooler, although I'm not sure the course covers the whole textbook though.

Dd will probably take the French CLEP this summer. We'll see how things go. Everything seems murky in February.

Comment

The Analyzing Literature CLEP test is a piece of cake. With the exposure they have had in MP literature, they will do extremely well. I bet your 9th grader could pass it now. (Which is a little bit of a slam on what is considered college level, as well as a praise of MP.)
                Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
                DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
                DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

How can one decide between taking AP exams vs. CLEP exams? If anyone else faced this dilemma and wants to share their decision-making process, that would be helpful.

FYI...I have a rising 9th grader. He has no idea where he wants to go to college. However, I suspect he will go into a math or science field.
                  Cathy aka The Attached Mama
                  2019-2020
                  DS 12, 7th Grade
                  DD 11, 6th Grade
                  DS 5, K

Comment

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
                    How can one decide between taking AP exams vs. CLEP exams? If anyone else faced this dilemma and wants to share their decision-making process, that would be helpful.

FYI...I have a rising 9th grader. He has no idea where he wants to go to college. However, I suspect he will go into a math or science field.
                    That's a question I have, too. For instance, the MPOA AP US History Class description says, "Please Note: We have had students in the past also take the U.S. History 1 and 2 CLEP Exams after taking this class, with great success. Passing both U.S. History 1 and 2 CLEP Exams would result in 6 college credits. Typically colleges and universities allow students to use one or the other, not both."

But why would a student in an AP class decide to go with the CLEP option? I've heard here on the forum that sometimes it can be hard to find a place that will organize the AP test for you, so that's one situation. I don't know of others. It's tough to know what to do when you really know nothing about college choice: some colleges, especially when it comes to math/science, may reject some APs anyway, because they want the student to take that class at the school. I think it might be useful to start looking at potential schools anyway, even at this early, foggy stage, and see if some of the majors that might be on your son's radar have requirements/limitations when it comes to CLEP/AP.
                    But I, too, hope to learn more about this from others with experience.
                    DS (15)
                    DD (14)
                    DS (7)

Comment

Some colleges take AP and give credit for it, but don’t give credit for CLEP. Some use CLEP to allow students to take a more advanced course but don’t give actual credit. Some colleges accept either. Some don’t accept either.
                      AP tests are given once a year in May. CLEP tests can be taken at any time. AP scores take a bit to come in (like SAT), while I believe many CLEP tests are auto graded and scored immediately. I think cost is similar, but I’m not sure.
                      I have this gut feeling that I can’t say where it came from, the AP is a more respected test while CLEP is often seen as an easier test. Maybe that’s because many CLEP tests are just multiple choice while AP involves essays and working out problems? I have friends that spend their junior and senior years just prepping for and taking as may CLEP tests as they can rather than taking high school or community college classes. They say it reduces the cost of college, and I guess if you don’t qualify for a large merit scholarship every little bit helps. Just keep in mind where you are going to college. If you are at a community college or state school, it’s probably nice to get many of those General education credits out of the way. If you are going to a respected classical Christian university then you might want to take those history and writing and literature classes there where you get the beautiful classically deep style of education. Passing a US history CLEP is not nearly the same as sitting in in a semester long is history class at Hillsdale or University of Dallas.
                      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                      DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                      DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                      DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                      DS, 20, Physics major
                      DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                      DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                      DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

momgineer, I don't know what I'd do without you - your kindness and patience in sharing all you know truly mean a lot! Thank you!
                        DS (15)
                        DD (14)
                        DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post

The Analyzing Literature CLEP test is a piece of cake. With the exposure they have had in MP literature, they will do extremely well. I bet your 9th grader could pass it now. (Which is a little bit of a slam on what is considered college level, as well as a praise of MP.)
                          I know we discussed it privately, but this is what I thought, too. As long as she thought through questions logically, she could do it.
                          Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                            Some colleges take AP and give credit for it, but don’t give credit for CLEP. Some use CLEP to allow students to take a more advanced course but don’t give actual credit. Some colleges accept either. Some don’t accept either.
                            AP tests are given once a year in May. CLEP tests can be taken at any time. AP scores take a bit to come in (like SAT), while I believe many CLEP tests are auto graded and scored immediately. I think cost is similar, but I’m not sure.
                            I have this gut feeling that I can’t say where it came from, the AP is a more respected test while CLEP is often seen as an easier test. Maybe that’s because many CLEP tests are just multiple choice while AP involves essays and working out problems? I have friends that spend their junior and senior years just prepping for and taking as may CLEP tests as they can rather than taking high school or community college classes. They say it reduces the cost of college, and I guess if you don’t qualify for a large merit scholarship every little bit helps. Just keep in mind where you are going to college. If you are at a community college or state school, it’s probably nice to get many of those General education credits out of the way. If you are going to a respected classical Christian university then you might want to take those history and writing and literature classes there where you get the beautiful classically deep style of education. Passing a US history CLEP is not nearly the same as sitting in in a semester long is history class at Hillsdale or University of Dallas.
                            To be fair, the schools where it is worth sitting through the US History course probably don't accept CLEP.

AP is more widely accepted for credit, at least by private schools. The AP classes Dd is taking were chosen because they were better courses than the DE option we have available. She is academically pretty much done with high school and is the last kid at home, so she really needs to be in classes. The courses APs replace are generally large classes (or taught by TAs) at our state flagships, where dd is probably 50% likely to end up.

Historically, CLEPs purpose has been to show prior learning, not necessarily to be the whole summation of person's knowledge (although I think that is how some use it). For a student who already knows a topic- like the literature- they can go in and take the test.

Some may choose CLEP because if you use the whole Modern States Course for a subject you can get a voucher to take the test for free. If you can do 10 of those free tests (in the right subjects), that's a 25% discount on college if you school plays along. Purdue encourages this, actually. In some ways this can make a big school much smaller. Freshman classes are usually the largest on campus.

Lots of CLEP probably isn't a good choice if you want to be a classics major (unless you are dodging a college math or science class) or an engineer (although some schools will take those for elective credits), so looking at each test for how it lines up with your homeschool and your student's goals makes a lot of sense.

I think taking the Analyzing Literature CLEP makes a lot of sense for most kids who do MP. It shows that they don't need to sit through the intro class at college with a bunch of remedial students. Remember, the best of the public/ private school students will have taken AP and CLEP exams. If the school accepts those credits, those more well-prepared students won't be in those classes.

Comment

This feels so complicated! It seems to me this system really pushes kids to decide so early which college they mean to go to, sometimes well before they're called to decide *what* they want to study. Sometimes a student may apply to schools that have different criteria when it comes to AP/CLEP, so there is no way to make it work to one's advantage. I just don't like this game
                              DS (15)
                              DD (14)
                              DS (7)

Comment

Working...
                              X