Upcoming Literature Guides for 11-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upcoming Literature Guides for 11-12

Are there any literature guides in the works for upper high school? I see that Wuthering Heights was recently published.

Does MP plan to publish any more literature guides for American classics that would be for the 11-12th grade level? I see To Kill a Mockingbird, but that seems to be only one I can find.

Thank you!
    Lauren
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2020-2021:
    10th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and local classes
    8th grade DD: 8M and 3rd Form with MPOA
    6th grade DD: Mostly 6M
    4th Grade DD: Mostly 4NU
    3.5 yo DS: Copious amounts of time outside beating on things with sticks; MP Preschool and Mom Extras 2-3 days a week

Good morning! Just bumping this up again to see if there might be other guides coming.
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2020-2021:
    3.5 yo DS: Copious amounts of time outside beating on things with sticks; MP Preschool and Mom Extras 2-3 days a week

Comment

Sorry. Somehow I lost this post! So thank you for bumping it for me!

If you send me a list of books you are interested in guides for, I can see if your list includes any books we would consider writing guides for, and maybe I will have a summer teacher who would like to write. I'm not opposed to additional guides, but we have been focused on guides for the curriculum at HLS. I think we have about finished those, so it is probably time to branch out!

Tanya

Comment

Tanya, do you mean to say there will soon be available a guide for The Great Gatsby, since HLS reads it? I would love it from MP!
        DS (15)
        DD (14)
        DS (7)

Comment

Can I piggyback on this question? Are there any plans to do another Short Story and Poetry type guide for early American literature? The American Lit one my 8th grader is using is 19th and 20th century lit. I'll be teaching Year 1 of a 2 year American Lit and History class next year to 9-11th graders and would love to include some of the 17-18th century lit, along with The Scarlet Letter.
          Orthodox Momma to 6; Latin and High School teacher at HLStillwater

2020-2021
          DD19: Hillsdale College
          DS16, DD14, DS9, DD5: Highlands Latin Stillwater Cottage School
          DD3: tagging along

Using & Loving MP since 2009!

Comment

Hello.

We don't have plans right now to do more study guides for early American literature. But as I said yesterday, send me a list of the books you are interested in studying, and I'll certainly take that into account as we work to expand our literature selections.

Tanya

Comment

Mrs. Bee,

The Great Gatsby is coming! It is in the editing process now. I'm not sure what the timeline is, but the guide is written. The copy editor has quite a line, but I did ask her about this one yesterday, so maybe she will move it up?

Tanya

Comment

I would like a guide for The Lord of the Flies. I think that book says so many incredible things about human nature, and I know that I am probably missing a lot of them since I am not a literature person. I think I asked about this book before so it may already be on your list of maybes. Oh, I would also like The Catcher in the Rye. Actually, I guess that neither of these are terribly Christian so I may be picking the wrong books for MP.
                JeJe Greer
                Mom to:
                Stella (8M with 9th grade literature, and writing)
                Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

I think Gatsby and Moby Dick should be priorities, so I'm glad to see Gatsby is happening, and I imagine Moby Dick will soon follow, since it's read at HLS too - exciting! Other interesting American authors could be Willa Cather, Edith Wharton, and to come closer to us, Wendell Berry or Walker Percy.

Crossing the Atlantic, I'd also love The Count of Monte Cristo and Les Miserables (I wonder why the title was never translated?).

Apologies for invading someone else's thread!
                  DS (15)
                  DD (14)
                  DS (7)

Comment

This is so fun! You just wanted to join the fun, Mrs. Bee! I'm starting a list. Keep them coming!

I should really start with Wendell since he's a dear friend.

Tanya

Comment

Another vote for Wendell Berry!
                      Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
                      9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
                      8th grade - 8M with modifications
                      4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I've never read W Berry, but I know enough to be very intrigued, and I am disappointed to see his Art of the Commonplace gone from the MPOA Economics class: I think he has a much-needed perspective to offer, I could even say a corrective.

All right, everybody, let's fill Tanya's list! One name I didn't have the courage to write before is Dostoevsky, because I am not at all sure it should be read in high school. I once read somebody (though I can't remember who or where) saying that The Tempest, too, raises dark questions that are best kept for later than high school, but HLS reads it. So if someone can pull this off, even Dostoevsky, that's MP for sure!
                        DS (15)
                        DD (14)
                        DS (7)

Comment

I'd love to see the Lord of the Rings, but that would be quite the undertaking.

Comment

"Brideshead Revisted" is another rich novel that might be beyond the scope of high school, but I plan to read with my children about the time they are of college age.

I'd love to see an MP guide though -- along with convincing Joseph Pearce to put together an Ignatius Critical Edition of the novel!
                            Laura H.

DD: 15, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7/8M Core), aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"
                            DD: 13 (8M with SFL & NBO Fall 2021), aspiring pediatric nurse, our "Jo"
                            DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Beth"
                            DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Amy"

Comment

Thank you, Tanya, for your reply and being willing to entertain the idea of more guides!

Sadly, I am not well-read enough to make any suggestions. Moby Dick came to mind, but it was the only one, unfortunately. (Which is the reason I need the hand-holding with the guides!)

Thank you again!
                              Lauren

Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2020-2021:

Comment

Working...
                              X