NBO for high school freshman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NBO for high school freshman

I don't want my upcoming freshman to do Intro to Physics while only in pre-algebra (it was a rough experience when we did that with his brothers).

Part of me says we'll just pass on science for 9th grade as he only needs 3 science credits based on his intended path. So he would have plenty of time for Physics, Biology, and Chemistry even if he waits until 10th to start the sequence.

But then I thought a Philosophy of Nature course might be a nice option. What would you add to Nature's Beautiful Order for a high school worthy course?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS17: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS14: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Finishing SC 4 >> Moving on to mix of SC 5/6 & 7/8
    DD10: Finishing 3A >> Moving on to miix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD8: SC3
    DD6: MPK

What has he done so far for science?
    DS (15)
    DD (14)
    DS (7)

Comment

He’s in Novare Physical Science with MPOA. We did some Novare Earth Science in 7th (my health was bad so it ended up being reading for exposure). In the years prior to that he did Birds and Medicine, Insects, and Astronomy.

Currently, our plan for 9th is:

Third Form Latin
      Pre-Algebra
      Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid for literature
      Books of the Ancient Greeks and Romans for history (might add Ancient World as a supplementary read rather than a course)
      HS Comp II with MPOA
      Traditional Logic I
      Jennifer

Comment

Ok, because my first instinct was to suggest Physical Science + some serious lab work, which, if I remember correctly, was how Cindy Davis said PS could be made to count for a science credit in high school.

If you are sure that you don't need that credit, a thing that came to mind is Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how to use it in high school.
        NBO quotes extensively a few naturalists, so another possibility could be to hunt down their original works. I am being a bit vague because I don't have the book in front of me, I loaned it to a friend who's considering adopting MP.
        Philosophy of nature is not easily done in 9th grade, I don't have any book to suggest. Queen of Heaven Academy lists Prof. McInerny's A Philosophy of Nature in their 12th grade Philosophy class: I have the book, and it's not anything I'd give a 9th grader, and even a 12th grader is a stretch honestly, so I wonder how much they really use of the book. McInerny says natural philosophy should be at the beginning of the study of philosophy, but that's not to say that his book is for beginners!
        Another idea could be to tackle discrete topics that will come up later, like evolution, so as to give your son a framework to understand them.
        You could simply turn your question to prof. Cuddeback, who blogs here, and is a most down-to-earth, accessible fellow.

Or you could really decide to do do no science at all, and use the time for other things, like completing Traditional Logic by doing book II as well.

And this is all that's coming to mind for now
        DS (15)
        DD (14)
        DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
          Ok, because my first instinct was to suggest Physical Science + some serious lab work, which, if I remember correctly, was how Cindy Davis said PS could be made to count for a science credit in high school.

If you are sure that you don't need that credit, a thing that came to mind is Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how to use it in high school.
          NBO quotes extensively a few naturalists, so another possibility could be to hunt down their original works. I am being a bit vague because I don't have the book in front of me, I loaned it to a friend who's considering adopting MP.
          Philosophy of nature is not easily done in 9th grade, I don't have any book to suggest. Queen of Heaven Academy lists Prof. McInerny's A Philosophy of Nature in their 12th grade Philosophy class: I have the book, and it's not anything I'd give a 9th grader, and even a 12th grader is a stretch honestly, so I wonder how much they really use of the book. McInerny says natural philosophy should be at the beginning of the study of philosophy, but that's not to say that his book is for beginners!
          Another idea could be to tackle discrete topics that will come up later, like evolution, so as to give your son a framework to understand them.
          You could simply turn your question to prof. Cuddeback, who blogs here, and is a most down-to-earth, accessible fellow.

Or you could really decide to do do no science at all, and use the time for other things, like completing Traditional Logic by doing book II as well.

And this is all that's coming to mind for now

*facepalm* I never thought of emailing Dr. Cuddeback directly. He was a professor of mine and we've kept in touch some over the years. Great idea!!
          Jennifer

Comment

Did you go to Christendom? Or maybe he's taught somewhere else before... We love Christendom, and we love Cuddeback, we never miss his free lectures for the Institute of Catholic Culture. He's started doing a long class for them called Philosophy 101 and I want my kids to do it at some point! My husband has done his Man of the Household course and now I'm going to do Woman of the Household during Lent. So yes, we're fans.
            DS (15)
            DD (14)
            DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
              Did you go to Christendom? Or maybe he's taught somewhere else before... We love Christendom, and we love Cuddeback, we never miss his free lectures for the Institute of Catholic Culture. He's started doing a long class for them called Philosophy 101 and I want my kids to do it at some point! My husband has done his Man of the Household course and now I'm going to do Woman of the Household during Lent. So yes, we're fans.
              Yep, I went to Christendom — many, many moons ago One of our teens is hoping to major in Classical/Early Christian Studies there.

I just signed up the other day for the Woman of the Household course, but I haven't figured out when I can work on it!
              Jennifer

Comment

We live so close to it that many of our friends send their kids there, so ours already have friends there. It would be a done deal for my daughter if they offered an art major. You should come back and visit once the new chapel is finished!
                DS (15)
                DD (14)
                DS (7)

Comment

Yes! We're usually there once a year to visit family so it's on my bucket list! There are several amazing artists and a NYT best-selling author/illustrator who have all come out of Christendom (some of them are even contributing to the chapel build). She might want to take another look!
                  Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                    I don't want my upcoming freshman to do Intro to Physics while only in pre-algebra (it was a rough experience when we did that with his brothers).

Part of me says we'll just pass on science for 9th grade as he only needs 3 science credits based on his intended path. So he would have plenty of time for Physics, Biology, and Chemistry even if he waits until 10th to start the sequence.

But then I thought a Philosophy of Nature course might be a nice option. What would you add to Nature's Beautiful Order for a high school worthy course?
                    I read through this yesterday hoping to find advice on what to do for 9th grade science. I meant to ask if you think Novare Earth Science or Physical Science could count for credit. Also, how hard is the math in the Novare Physics? I am not getting any ideas on what to do next year yet so I am trying to consider these 3 things.
                    JeJe Greer
                    Mom to:
                    Stella (8M with 9th grade literature, and writing)
                    Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post

I read through this yesterday hoping to find advice on what to do for 9th grade science. I meant to ask if you think Novare Earth Science or Physical Science could count for credit. Also, how hard is the math in the Novare Physics? I am not getting any ideas on what to do next year yet so I am trying to consider these 3 things.
                      I wouldn't attempt Intro to Physics unless she's in Algebra I concurrently. Both of my boys struggled mightily and one had to repeat physics the following year with a conceptual physics course (non math-based). And that was with a knowledgeable teacher who took things slower during the math portions to try and ensure the kids understood. It was just bad timing.

I've heard of of Physical Science being credit-worthy if you add a lot of lab work to it, but I'm not sure about Earth Science for high school. momgineer ?

Personally, I think it also depends on where your child is headed. If she's not heading for a stem major, and your state or prospective school doesn't dictate what counts as a credit, then I feel you have more latitude in determining a "credit-worthy" course.
                      Jennifer

Comment

jejegreer Earth science might be a good fill in for 9th. I’d say do all the labs and maybe do a field trip or two. If you are unsure of credit worthiness- consider than a high school credit is roughly 120 hours a year so if she puts in that much work, I’d say the content is 9th grade worthy. I can’t remember what labs it has, but be sure to include a rock and mineral identification lab. Home Science Tools has some great kits.
                        I wouldn’t try Introductory Physics unless you have some solid algebra background- a year of College of the Redwoods would be enough for a strong math student. If you haven’t had a full fledged pre-algebra course, I wouldn’t even consider it. I’d only consider it for an algebra 1 student if they had a strong pre-algebra course where they mastered solving for a single variable and even then it’s iffy. IP is strongly algebra based, but there is no graphing or quadratics that I remember. They do very much need to be able to manipulate formulas and plug variables from one formula into another.
                        . jen1134 Have you seen MODG’s natural science course? This is a high school level course that could fit very well with NBO for 9th grade. https://modg.org/curriculum/syllabus/36
                        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                        DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                        DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                        DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                        (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                        DS, 20, Physics major
                        DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                        DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                        DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                          . jen1134 Have you seen MODG’s natural science course? This is a high school level course that could fit very well with NBO for 9th grade. https://modg.org/curriculum/syllabus/36
                          This looks like an AMAZING option. Thank you, Debbie!
                          Jennifer

Comment

jen1134 and momgineer Stella did birds, but did not do mammals, trees, or insects. Do you think that she needs to have done them? If you end up getting this please let me know about the amount of insects in the course. I am not a fan of insects.
                            JeJe Greer
                            Mom to:
                            Stella (8M with 9th grade literature, and writing)
                            Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

If we needed all of those courses, we would be in trouble. Honestly, there were no labs with fourth grade insects so it wasn’t gross, but it was the first thing dropped when things got busy. There was labeling and sketching and short answer questions. You could make it through even if you hated insects.
                              Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                              DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
                              DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
                              DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
                              DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Working...
                              X