Fine Arts Credits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fine Arts Credits?

Do most of you include a fine arts credit on your transcript somewhere? Do most colleges expect this?
    I am especially interested in hearing from parents of students who are not artistic.
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2019-2020
    DS 12, 7th Grade
    DD 11, 6th Grade
    DS 5, K

My two graduates and my current senior did not have fine arts credits. It would have been pulling teeth for them and while I planned on it, it just never happened. Some colleges do require a fine arts credit so it is worth keeping in mind to be aware of admissions requirements at possible colleges that could be applied to. My position ended up being that I would add the FA credit senior year if the student ended up needing it. I didn't need to. My current senior applied to a university that lists a FA credit as a core class that would be included in the recalculated core GPA. The fine print said that the courses were not actually required just recommended. I felt confident my ds would get in without it and he did- with honors and scholarships.

Comment

We did Music Theory, voice lessons and a short Ceramics class. Music Theory was a semester with a textbook and the other two were 1/2 semester.
      Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

My daughter did plenty of fine arts activities like choir and a musical, but I preferred to list them as extracurriculars. I would have included it on a transcript if it were a state graduation requirement, but in Michigan homeschool students are not required to follow brick & mortar homeschool requirements. None of the schools we targeted required it so I felt we could describe it better under extracurriculars.
        Dorinda

For 2020-2021
        DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
        DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
        DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
        DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Dorinda has a good point. You often don't need the fine arts credits. We do/did because dd was/ is seriously considering an "early college" boarding high school for 11th-12th grades, and fine arts credits are required for 9th or 10th. It also made sense transcript-wise, because at least for the Voice and Music Theory, the activities were outside of her regular music lessons, and not part of a group activity, like 4H. I probably would not have included them in a list of extracurriculars.
          Last edited by bean; 01-09-2021, 06:22 AM.
          Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

Comment

My older daughter had no fine arts credit (her transcript was generated by an online school, not by me, or I could have listed her homeschool choir as her fine arts credit). The college that she applied to required a fine arts credit, but they had a place on the application where she could explain any missing requirements. She explained that her online school did not offer fine arts electives and then listed her choirs, dance classes, and musical instruments. I think that you can probably argue for any creative activity to fulfil this requirement - sewing, photography, even computer coding - anything creative that your child does.
            Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
            DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
            DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
              Dorinda has a good point. You often don't need the fine arts credits. We do/did because dd was/ is seriously considering an "early college" boarding high school for 11th-12th grades, and fine arts credits are required for 9th or 10th. It also made sense transcript-wise, because at least for the Voice and Music Theory, the activities were outside of her regular music lessons, and not part of a group activity, like 4H. I probably would not have included them in a list of extracurriculars.
              I'm intrigued by "early college" boarding school. Can you share more?
              Christine

2020/2021)
              DD1 8/23/09 - MP4 (Math 5)
              DS2 9/1/11 - SC 5/6 2 year pace
              DD3 2/9/13 -SC2/Storytime Treasures/AAR

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

I'm intrigued by "early college" boarding school. Can you share more?
                I think a lot of states have some version of this, although they are called different things. As far as I know, Illinois, Indiana, and (maybe) Ohio have ones that are billed as "gifted" residential public high schools on college campuses for juniors and seniors. Because they are public high schools, they are usually just in-state students with a few exchange students from abroad.

They may have been for gifted students at one time, but at least in our state, it's mostly high performing students who can't get the classes they need closer to home or are ready for more independence.

Anyone who is curious can PM me. I don't want to derail this thread too much.

Comment

Thanks! This is very reassuring. I took a free class on credits and high school transcripts. In it, the instructor said that a college-bound student should include at least 1 credit of "Fine Arts". My oldest son is NOT interested in any form of art or music that I have found. So, I was thinking of including a year of "art appreciation" or "music appreciation". (Maybe Prof. Carol's Americas Artistic Legacy or something?). But it really can be hard to fit all of these things in without overloading the student.

Cathy aka The Attached Mama
                  2019-2020
                  DS 12, 7th Grade
                  DD 11, 6th Grade
                  DS 5, K

Comment

Some of mine have earned their fine arts credit via academic classes- art history or music appreciation. Discovering Music offered by MP is a great option for a full year music appreciation class that involves tests and essays rather than actually making music. It’s a great way for those who seem to detest actually doing much art or music.
                    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                    DS, 21, chemistry major
                    DS, 18, Physics major
                    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

I'm planning on integrating music and visual art appreciation into our history class. Taught over several years, it will end up being 1 (or 10 in California) credits. We don't start high school until next year, so thank you for the suggestions for ideas. Discovering Music looks excellent!
                      Kristi
                      DS 13 (8th grade)

Comment

Coming back to add that my kids are not artistic either...my daughter is musical, but my boys are a mixed bag. If I had to have a class we did enjoy Professor Carrol’s Early Sacred Music set (we included it with early church history) and my boys have really enjoyed blacksmithing. I would consider that visual arts if needed. Also, things like woodworking or modeling or a pottery class could work as well. When I think artistic I usually think ability to draw or paint, but there are many aspects of fine arts. I might draw the line before I got to computer coding, but there are many, many options.
                        Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                        DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
                        DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
                        DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
                        DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Working...
                        X