• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klwalukas
    replied
    Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Good morning!

At HLS, we do Cicero (both books) and the City of God in one year. We spend a trimester on both. This assumes a master teacher who can discern what to skip over, what to concentrate on, etc. For the homeschool market, where we make the assumption that students will be working more independently without the benefit of a teacher who thoroughly knows the material, we like to schedule Cicero as a year of classical studies and Augustine as a year of Christian studies. You don't need to feel that you have to do both, but our lesson plans will schedule them as a full year each so that students have the time to get something valuable out of them. You could easily choose Augustine for your year rather than Cicero and still get a history credit. Basically, by doing both Cicero and Augustine, over the course of a year, you are really giving your student 2 credits. Or you can do the faster pace with the help of the online academy.

For 12th grade, we are testing Metaphysics in the classroom this year, and Paul is working hard to get the study guides completed for publication. I am also begging him to do teaching instructional videos, so if you are interested in that, run over to the online forum tab and start adding your voices to mine! You might be more influential.

We are also working on an Art & Architecture class, and I need to get the Christian apologetics class developed. So we still have lots of work to do in the upper school, but we are trying to get it done.

I know it has become confusing in high school because it seems we do so much at HLS, and we do. But don't feel your students have to read Augustine and Cicero and Aristotle and Plato and Boethius and on and on. Just do the best you can, and I can guarantee (based on my own children's college experience) that they will be sitting in classrooms with students who have read none of these authors, especially in 2 languages (our students read Cicero and Vergil in Latin as well).

Did I answer all your questions? If not, feel free to post again. I know this is more difficult than grammar school, especially since we are still developing so much.

Tanya
    Thank you, Tanya. We are only a couple of weeks in, and I can now see how it would be easier to do one lesson of Cicero each week and one lesson of Augustine each week instead of two lessons of Cicero per week and then 2 lessons of Augustine per week. The two lessons a week of Cicero is too much. I am going to redo our Vita Beata schedule for this class and do it the way you suggest the lesson plans will be laid out for homeschoolers rather than the MPOA schedule I was trying to follow. Thank you again!

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied
    Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Good morning!

At HLS, we do Cicero (both books) and the City of God in one year. We spend a trimester on both. This assumes a master teacher who can discern what to skip over, what to concentrate on, etc. For the homeschool market, where we make the assumption that students will be working more independently without the benefit of a teacher who thoroughly knows the material, we like to schedule Cicero as a year of classical studies and Augustine as a year of Christian studies. You don't need to feel that you have to do both, but our lesson plans will schedule them as a full year each so that students have the time to get something valuable out of them. You could easily choose Augustine for your year rather than Cicero and still get a history credit. Basically, by doing both Cicero and Augustine, over the course of a year, you are really giving your student 2 credits. Or you can do the faster pace with the help of the online academy.

For 12th grade, we are testing Metaphysics in the classroom this year, and Paul is working hard to get the study guides completed for publication. I am also begging him to do teaching instructional videos, so if you are interested in that, run over to the online forum tab and start adding your voices to mine! You might be more influential.

We are also working on an Art & Architecture class, and I need to get the Christian apologetics class developed. So we still have lots of work to do in the upper school, but we are trying to get it done.

I know it has become confusing in high school because it seems we do so much at HLS, and we do. But don't feel your students have to read Augustine and Cicero and Aristotle and Plato and Boethius and on and on. Just do the best you can, and I can guarantee (based on my own children's college experience) that they will be sitting in classrooms with students who have read none of these authors, especially in 2 languages (our students read Cicero and Vergil in Latin as well).

Did I answer all your questions? If not, feel free to post again. I know this is more difficult than grammar school, especially since we are still developing so much.

Tanya
    Thank you so much Tanya, this is so helpful!! Do you think there will be a package available for Metaphysics for the next school year? I had planned on doing City of God for Classical Studies for my oldest daughter's senior year, but if the Metaphysics will be ready (with or without lectures...I'm thinking lectures for the next school year wouldn't be possible) I'd like to do City of God for Christian Studies and Metaphysics for Classical Studies. What do you think? Thank you (and the rest of MP) for your hard work; we couldn't do it without you!

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied
    Good morning!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied
    Originally posted by klwalukas View Post

You can see the catalog on the website. I asked if they had the texts in a set yet, and they said no. My daughter will be done, but I am hoping to do these with Vita Beata in the next few years.
    Yes, I have been looking at it but hadn't looked at that section until you mentioned it (was just looking at the Classical Studies section).

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied

Texts for Metaphysics: A History of Philosophy, Volume I: Greece and Rome (selections) by Frederick Copleston, S.J. The Last Days of Socrates (Phaedo, Apology) by Plato, Republic (Book 7) by Plato, Physics, Book I by Aristotle, The Nature of the Gods by Cicero, A Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius, A Shorter Summa by Peter Kreeft

Christian Apologetics: Mere Christianity; Fundamentals of the Faith, Orthodoxy.
    Thanks so much!! Hopefully MP will have them available by next year. I'm especially interested in the Metaphysics course for Classical Studies for my daughter next year and could do City of God by itself or with some or all of the Apologetics course for Christian Studies.

Leave a comment:

• klwalukas
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Since I can't find my catalogs, I was going just by what is listed on the website for purchase, and none of them are in the Classical Studies section yet. I just found an older post by Tanya that has the page for the accelerated schedule, and it split those over 11th and 12th instead of all in 12th. She basically said they were trying to squeeze all of those into 12th grade on the moderate schedule. I'm not sure what we'll do. I could split them and City of God between Classical Studies and Christian Studies...
    You can see the catalog on the website. I asked if they had the texts in a set yet, and they said no. My daughter will be done, but I am hoping to do these with Vita Beata in the next few years.

Leave a comment:

• klwalukas
    replied
    Well, there isn't anything about either of them on the website, which means I'll have to start another post :-D I don't feel so badly about missing them since they aren't online.
    Texts for Metaphysics: A History of Philosophy, Volume I: Greece and Rome (selections) by Frederick Copleston, S.J. The Last Days of Socrates (Phaedo, Apology) by Plato, Republic (Book 7) by Plato, Physics, Book I by Aristotle, The Nature of the Gods by Cicero, A Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius, A Shorter Summa by Peter Kreeft

Christian Apologetics: Mere Christianity; Fundamentals of the Faith, Orthodoxy.

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied

They are in the catalog, on the page that has the curriculum sequence laid out through 12th grade. You can't see all the titles, but we discussed them in one of the Sodalitas tracks. I'll look for them.
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Since I can't find my catalogs, I was going just by what is listed on the website for purchase, and none of them are in the Classical Studies section yet. I just found an older post by Tanya that has the page for the accelerated schedule, and it split those over 11th and 12th instead of all in 12th. She basically said they were trying to squeeze all of those into 12th grade on the moderate schedule. I'm not sure what we'll do. I could split them and City of God between Classical Studies and Christian Studies...

Leave a comment:

• klwalukas
    replied

Where did you find out more about it? I can't find anything about them on MP's website.
    They are in the catalog, on the page that has the curriculum sequence laid out through 12th grade. You can't see all the titles, but we discussed them in one of the Sodalitas tracks. I'll look for them.

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied

Senior year is Apologetics and Metaphysics - Mere Christianity, A Shorter Summa, Consolation of Philosophy, and some other works I can't remember off the top of my head.
    Kristin
    Where did you find out more about it? I can't find anything about them on MP's website.

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied
    Well, there isn't anything about either of them on the website, which means I'll have to start another post :-D I don't feel so badly about missing them since they aren't online.

Leave a comment:

• klwalukas
    replied

Interesting, I wonder what they have for the senior year. I need to look at the online one. For some reason I can't find any of my paper ones. I cleaned and now can't find anything, LOL.
    Senior year is Apologetics and Metaphysics - Mere Christianity, A Shorter Summa, Consolation of Philosophy, and some other works I can't remember off the top of my head.
    Kristin

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied
    The projected sequence in the catalog shows them being done in one year (11th) but I don't think you can go wrong with your plan!
    Kristin
    I found it on the online catalog. I've not heard of what they have projected for 12th...so now I have to investigate ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Cheryl in CA
    replied
    The projected sequence in the catalog shows them being done in one year (11th) but I don't think you can go wrong with your plan!
    Kristin
    Interesting, I wonder what they have for the senior year. I need to look at the online one. For some reason I can't find any of my paper ones. I cleaned and now can't find anything, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• klwalukas
    replied
    Kristin

Leave a comment:

Working...
X