My Lesson Plans for On Obligations and The Republic & the Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning!

At HLS, we do Cicero (both books) and the City of God in one year. We spend a trimester on both. This assumes a master teacher who can discern what to skip over, what to concentrate on, etc. For the homeschool market, where we make the assumption that students will be working more independently without the benefit of a teacher who thoroughly knows the material, we like to schedule Cicero as a year of classical studies and Augustine as a year of Christian studies. You don't need to feel that you have to do both, but our lesson plans will schedule them as a full year each so that students have the time to get something valuable out of them. You could easily choose Augustine for your year rather than Cicero and still get a history credit. Basically, by doing both Cicero and Augustine, over the course of a year, you are really giving your student 2 credits. Or you can do the faster pace with the help of the online academy.

For 12th grade, we are testing Metaphysics in the classroom this year, and Paul is working hard to get the study guides completed for publication. I am also begging him to do teaching instructional videos, so if you are interested in that, run over to the online forum tab and start adding your voices to mine! You might be more influential.

We are also working on an Art & Architecture class, and I need to get the Christian apologetics class developed. So we still have lots of work to do in the upper school, but we are trying to get it done.

I know it has become confusing in high school because it seems we do so much at HLS, and we do. But don't feel your students have to read Augustine and Cicero and Aristotle and Plato and Boethius and on and on. Just do the best you can, and I can guarantee (based on my own children's college experience) that they will be sitting in classrooms with students who have read none of these authors, especially in 2 languages (our students read Cicero and Vergil in Latin as well).

Did I answer all your questions? If not, feel free to post again. I know this is more difficult than grammar school, especially since we are still developing so much.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Good morning!

At HLS, we do Cicero (both books) and the City of God in one year. We spend a trimester on both. This assumes a master teacher who can discern what to skip over, what to concentrate on, etc. For the homeschool market, where we make the assumption that students will be working more independently without the benefit of a teacher who thoroughly knows the material, we like to schedule Cicero as a year of classical studies and Augustine as a year of Christian studies. You don't need to feel that you have to do both, but our lesson plans will schedule them as a full year each so that students have the time to get something valuable out of them. You could easily choose Augustine for your year rather than Cicero and still get a history credit. Basically, by doing both Cicero and Augustine, over the course of a year, you are really giving your student 2 credits. Or you can do the faster pace with the help of the online academy.

For 12th grade, we are testing Metaphysics in the classroom this year, and Paul is working hard to get the study guides completed for publication. I am also begging him to do teaching instructional videos, so if you are interested in that, run over to the online forum tab and start adding your voices to mine! You might be more influential.

We are also working on an Art & Architecture class, and I need to get the Christian apologetics class developed. So we still have lots of work to do in the upper school, but we are trying to get it done.

I know it has become confusing in high school because it seems we do so much at HLS, and we do. But don't feel your students have to read Augustine and Cicero and Aristotle and Plato and Boethius and on and on. Just do the best you can, and I can guarantee (based on my own children's college experience) that they will be sitting in classrooms with students who have read none of these authors, especially in 2 languages (our students read Cicero and Vergil in Latin as well).

Did I answer all your questions? If not, feel free to post again. I know this is more difficult than grammar school, especially since we are still developing so much.

Tanya
      Thank you so much Tanya, this is so helpful!! Do you think there will be a package available for Metaphysics for the next school year? I had planned on doing City of God for Classical Studies for my oldest daughter's senior year, but if the Metaphysics will be ready (with or without lectures...I'm thinking lectures for the next school year wouldn't be possible) I'd like to do City of God for Christian Studies and Metaphysics for Classical Studies. What do you think? Thank you (and the rest of MP) for your hard work; we couldn't do it without you!
      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
      ds 25, graduated
      dd 11th Grade
      dd 8th Grade
      ds 6th Grade

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        Good morning!

Tanya
        Thank you, Tanya. We are only a couple of weeks in, and I can now see how it would be easier to do one lesson of Cicero each week and one lesson of Augustine each week instead of two lessons of Cicero per week and then 2 lessons of Augustine per week. The two lessons a week of Cicero is too much. I am going to redo our Vita Beata schedule for this class and do it the way you suggest the lesson plans will be laid out for homeschoolers rather than the MPOA schedule I was trying to follow. Thank you again!
        Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
        DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
        DD16; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Working...
        X