Medieval Europe: Hollister and Davies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medieval Europe: Hollister and Davies

I can't find a table of content for the Hollister book (10th edition), and I was wondering with what years it ends. The description for the MPOA class using it mentions Joan of Arc: compared to that, Davies' book ends rather early, and I wonder if it will leave us with a gap to cover somehow, before we move on. I don't know yet what we'll do afterwards exactly, but the book used by the MPOA's AP European History class and Palmer's Europe in the Modern World both seem to start well after Davies ends.

Might it be worth acquiring Hollister, too, simply for that reason?
    DS (14)
    DD (13)
    DS (6)

I have the 9th ed. here, and it ends around 1500. It looks like it ends with the unification of Italy and Germany in Ch. 15, and the book concludes with Ch. 16, which deals with cultural changes between 1300-1500.

Tanya

Comment

Thank you, Tanya, that's very helpful! Yes, that seems a biggish gap, something to keep in mind.
      DS (14)
      DD (13)
      DS (6)

Comment

Have you seen this page, Mrs Bee?

http://www.medievaleuropeonline.com/chapters.html
        2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
        S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
        D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
        S - 3, the master of disasters

Comment

Beorn thank you! I think that's the 11th edition, and MP so emphatically prefers the 10th - I don't remember the reasons. But as an overview of what the text covers, that's good.
          DS (14)
          DD (13)
          DS (6)

Comment

Actually, we don't care what edition it is. We just love this book, and if I could get the rights to reprint it, I would. We just stuck with the 10th edition because that is what we had classroom copies of, so it is cheaper to add to our sets rather than start again!

Tanya

Comment

Tanya, does it mean that even a Hollister 9th edition would be good to study the final period missing in Davies? I don't care about the latest scholarship in a bibliography, and there seems to be more 9th eds for sale than 10th, so if you think it may work just as well, I could get a couple of 9th eds for my kids very easily.
              DS (14)
              DD (13)
              DS (6)

Comment

Yes! The 9th ed. is just fine. In fact, that's the one we used for years until we could no longer get it. Honestly, there is not much difference between editions. I feel like this is one of those books that educational publishers update so schools will have to buy new books. (I'm cynical about these big publishers because they tend to be difficult to work with.)

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                  I'm cynical about these big publishers because they tend to be difficult to work with.

Tanya
                  I'm cynical about these big publishers because they tend to publish overpriced books *and* come out with a new edition every year or three.
                  2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
                  S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
                  D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
                  S - 3, the master of disasters

Comment

I didn't want to go past the 10th, because it gives me pause whenever there is an official author switch. And yes, schools are a captive audience, it's hard for big publishers to resist that kind of temptation!
                    DS (14)
                    DD (13)
                    DS (6)

Comment

Working...
                    X