Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What high school level work samples do you keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What high school level work samples do you keep?

Do you keep samples of your high school student's work? If so, what exactly do you keep? Thanks!!
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2019-2020
    DS 12, 7th Grade
    DD 11, 6th Grade
    DS 5, K

I keep all quizzes, tests, formal lab reports, research papers, and many but not all essays.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

I don’t keep quizzes, but I have kept final exams. I think most of my daughter’s essays were on her computer or uploaded to MPOA so I could probably resurrect them. I think much would depend on how selective a school you are applying to. State requirements are possibly a bigger deal, but I live in a state with essentially o requirements. I personally saved some essays from high school, but that was who I was. I try to base what I save on what public schools would save - which is nothing. If a college asks I could dig up a few samples, but I think we kid ourselves that colleges are going to take much time looking over high school work.
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

I keep essays that have been typed and saved on the computer. Other than that, I do not keep samples of work. We record grades from tests, quizzes, and assignments so that I can calculate an actual grade at the end of the year, but I do not keep the work. We also live in a state that does not require any sort of portfolio, so we do not have to show anyone.

I also do not expect that any college would care to see any of those things. The one exception to that is if your child has some sort of talent you are trying to use to set them apart or enter a specific program. For example, our daughter submitted samples of her artwork along with her applications to a couple of schools. For a music student, they would need to send a video or do an actual performance interview. Those are the sorts of things where I could see a school going beyond the typical application. Otherwise, you gotta make a great application, not show school work from high school.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

What about for MPOA specific classes? Should I print out copies of the quizzes? Is that a total waste of paper?

So far I have a course description, a list of textbooks, an official grade report, a syllabus, and even a table showing grades.
          I'm wondering if I should also keep her workbook and/or print the tests/quizzes. I asked this question on Facebook, and I heard a wide range of answers.

None of them were MPOA users specifically, but several of them did report colleges asking for samples of work. One lady reported that she had a college ask to see sample lab reports in science. And another lady reported that she had a college ask to see samples of math work completed "in student handwriting".
          Last edited by TheAttachedMama; 07-29-2020, 10:56 AM.
          2019-2020
          DS 12, 7th Grade
          DD 11, 6th Grade
          DS 5, K

Comment

I’ve never had a college ask to see samples of work, but my homeschool grads have only gone to state schools. I don’t keep any samples from online classes. I figure their official grade is enough. I only keep other records for legal purposes to show we are actually homeschooling and in case the school I enroll with ever asks for additional samples. I only send in four samples of work per subject per year to our enrolled school and I keep that digital portfolio as my official record, but I never bother throwing away all the tests and such I had to figure out grades until they graduate just in case I need it. Again- for online classes, i don’t keep samples since they offer an official transcript of classes taken and grades earned.
            DS, 21, chemistry major
            DS, 18, Physics major
            DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

During the 2019 Sodalitas talk about Records and Transcripts someone mentioned a college requesting a family to submit copies of the homeschooling notices they had sent their school district - one for each high school year! I mean, one should keep them, of course, but it goes to show that some schools WILL make weird requests...
              DS (14)
              DD (13)
              DS (6)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
                During the 2019 Sodalitas talk about Records and Transcripts someone mentioned a college requesting a family to submit copies of the homeschooling notices they had sent their school district - one for each high school year! I mean, one should keep them, of course, but it goes to show that some schools WILL make weird requests...
                Yes, I've heard that too. (Also on Facebook.).
                2019-2020
                DS 12, 7th Grade
                DD 11, 6th Grade
                DS 5, K

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
                  In my state, we don’t have to file any letters of intent or any official registration paperwork. Wonder what they would do then? I’ve never had a college ask for anything other than transcript, but I have my portfolio records just in case.
                  DS, 21, chemistry major
                  DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

For my oldest, I was never asked for anything but a transcript. We knew the standardized test scores would be more important for a homeschooled student than any mom or co-op grades, so we spent six weeks prepping before the PSAT and SAT. That strategy worked out very well for us.

Blessings,
                    Jude

Comment

Working...
                    X