Highlands Latin School Upper School Curriculum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highlands Latin School Upper School Curriculum

I cannot find the post that has a link to the Highlands Latin School Upper School Curriculum. I saved the 2017-2018 school year page that showed it, but I know that there are some changes and would like to get the new one. For anyone interested in the older one, I have attached it.
    Attached Files
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (7M)
    Clara (SC)

Jeje,

This list isn't on the website. It's an internal list that I must have shared on here. I can post the latest one when I get to the office tomorrow, but we are still tweaking. I have the final goal though. We just aren't there yet. We are still a work in progress.

Tanya

Comment

Is there a Grammar School version of this same PDF available?

Comment

I'm attaching the Final Curriculum doc for HLS (as it stands now). It was a long-standing joke between Cheryl Lowe and me that she came to my desk every year with a "final curriculum." For a "final" doc, it sure did change frequently! Final Curriculum (edited 7-19).pdf

Eve, you can find the grammar school information here: https://thelatinschool.org/academics/grammarschool/ Just go to the bottom of the page and you can pull it up grade by grade. Remember that HLS is a year ahead of our homeschool curriculum starting in 3rd grade in most subjects. So if you use the curriculum map in the middle of The Classical Teacher, you can see the curriculum by grade as far as MP goes.

Tanya

Comment

Tanya, in a way this is very reassuring for us teaching at home, always tweaking and re-thinking, always afraid that we're doing it all wrong because we're tweaking and re-thinking, always afraid we're failing at providing The Perfect CurriculumTM that *of course* someone else has already figured out, and is surely teaching perfectly 100% of the time to all A+ students.

Anyway, thank you - I had no idea there is a Second Form Greek... is it in the pipeline for homeschoolers as well? That might mean I need to tweak our 10th grade plans...
          DS (14) and DD (13): MPOA and MP, mostly 8th grade
          DS (6): a mix of K resources, MP and not

Comment

I'm glad I could be a bright spot in your day! SFG is definitely in the pipeline. We plan to use it at HLS in the fall, so it needs to be ready. I'm not sure it will be ready for publication by then, but it will be ready sometime in the fall, I'm hoping.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              I'm glad I could be a bright spot in your day! SFG is definitely in the pipeline. We plan to use it at HLS in the fall, so it needs to be ready. I'm not sure it will be ready for publication by then, but it will be ready sometime in the fall, I'm hoping.

Tanya
              And yet another example of the importance of reading EVERY thread here on the Forum...so that we can have that insider’s knowledge of the new things coming!

Yay for Second Form Greek!!!!

AMDG,
              Sarah

2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 8
              DD, 6
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

I really appreciate you sharing that, Tanya! Thanks so much!

I am curious, do all students at HLS take 2 years of Greek? Or is it an optional elective?
                Cathy aka The Attached Mama
                2019-2020
                DS 12, 7th Grade
                DD 11, 6th Grade
                DS 5, K

Comment

Yes. Two years of Greek is required in 7th-8th grades. It becomes an optional before school class for those wanting to continue on, and you would be amazed at how many of our students choose to come to school at 7:30 for Greek!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you so much Tanya ! Much appreciation always for all of the information you supply ! Sarah , you are so right , there is always some helpful nugget in all of the posts !

Comment

Thank you for this update, Tanya. It's always so helpful as I continue to tweak for the kids coming up through the ranks. There are so many good choices! Are there any specifics on what "Wendell Berry" entails in in 11th? Is that essays, poetry, and/or novels?
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

2020-2021
                      11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                      @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I think we are going to do a study guide for Watch With Me. It is short stories, but reads like a novel. It's all about the Proudfoots!

Tanya

Comment

I'm attaching the Final Curriculum doc for HLS (as it stands now). It was a long-standing joke between Cheryl Lowe and me that she came to my desk every year with a "final curriculum." For a "final" doc, it sure did change frequently! [ATTACH]n120413[/ATTACH]

Eve, you can find the grammar school information here: https://thelatinschool.org/academics/grammarschool/ Just go to the bottom of the page and you can pull it up grade by grade. Remember that HLS is a year ahead of our homeschool curriculum starting in 3rd grade in most subjects. So if you use the curriculum map in the middle of The Classical Teacher, you can see the curriculum by grade as far as MP goes.

Tanya
                          Thank you so much for posting this! I don't seem to be getting notifications of replies to my posts so I need to fix my account, and would certainly have thanked you earlier. This makes it so much easier to help plan the upper grades. I truly appreciate it. Oh, and please open a Highlands Latin School in Colorado! I am not sure I can teach all of this well. HLS could give the Vail Mountain School a real run for their money. :-)
                          JeJe Greer
                          Mom to:
                          Stella (7M)
                          Clara (SC)

Comment

I think we are going to do a study guide for Watch With Me. It is short stories, but reads like a novel. It's all about the Proudfoots!

Tanya
                            How wonderful! I do not own that one and am hopping over to order one right away. We are going to have our HLN seniors read Jayber Crow next year. He will be the only living author in our literature curriculum. And I think he deserves the spot.
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

2020-2021
                            11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                            @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                            11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Does HLS finish Classical Comp in 8th grade after completing Common Topic or am I just missing it?
                              DD 15 | 10th Grade
                              DS 13 | 7th Grade with SFL
                              DD 12 | 6A with SFL

Comment

Working...
                              X