Advice on how to credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on how to credit

Hello, everyone! I hope everyone is staying safe and sane and able to enjoy some slower pacing.

I need some input from more experienced teachers, and I know some of the answer I'm looking for really varies by household. I've planned a particular "advanced biology" course for my rising eighthish grader. I know the course will be a challenge because it's designated "advanced" and recommended for upper high school. However, the reproductive anatomy section is the best I've seen, and it is something we really need to get to sooner rather than later in high school. My kiddo is an only, with no farm experience to help in this particular area of life, so I chose this curriculum to help us get there. So that's my "why."

Based on the experience he's had with MP, I believe he can tackle the challenge with some assistance from me. My plan is to divide the curriculum over two years, and give plenty of one on one for this subject. We would do minor labs this year with the units I assign this year. We would do the major labs mext year with the remaining units. My question is not so much how bad is this idea , but whether it would be inappropriate to give him a high school credit for a course he actually completed over two years? I honestly believe it would still be intense enough to satisfy a standard 3 credit requirement.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    -Rae
    Rae

DS12- SFL, Elem Greek II, CC III

What grades will this be for him? If he plans to take 3/4 years of science in high school then there's probably no need to count/show it at all. That would depend on his plan overall. Just because a class is worthy of high school credit doesn't mean it needs to show on their transcript. MP students do that all the time with Latin (I see he's doing that too with SF).

Helpful? I may be misreading your question.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
    @ Home, virtual-HLN, & MPOA
    10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thanks. Ok so I need to update my signature, but I never remember how or make time to mess with it. He is currently what I'm calling 7th grade just to help others get an idea of where he is. You know how that goes, I'm sure. He is finishing up Second Form Latin and Elementary Greek II as part of 7th grade. We temporarily shelved the CCIII for another more palatable program (in his opinion, not mine!) and fewer battles. We will come back to it.

The biology course would be for next year- 8th grade- and the year after. I do want to be able to count it for high school credit if possible because I foresee that he will be a reluctant science student. He has no problem with me piling on the language classes, but science and math he could do without. He wants Hebrew and Spanish, too. My point is that I think it best to get the sciences out of the way, but still have science credits that make him comparable to other students if needed for college. Does that make sense? He will need 3 credits to be minimally college ready. I don't want to waste the opportunity to count a science credit. At the same time, I wouldn't want to be cheating the system by counting a class for high school that we actually began in middle.

I really just don't want to do his transcript a disservice because I'm not sure what his future holds. He has strong aspirations towards the miitary after high school, but you never know. He's 13 in a few weeks.

Rae

DS12- SFL, Elem Greek II, CC III

Comment

If he does 120 hours worth of work in 9th grade then there is no doubt it counts for a full credit of 9th grade biology. If he does far less than that because he is spreading a class out over two years then it’s more of a grey area. Personally i would have no problem calling it 9th grade biology on the transcript if all the work was finished before the end of 9th even if it was over two years.
        Your description sounds like it will be a pretty advanced course so it’s likely he will be doing 120’hours just in 9th grade. Even if not, what you are describing, done in one year, would be a honors level course. Spread out over two years would make me not call it honors but still give 9th grade credit for it since he will finish it in 9th.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 21, chemistry major
        DS, 18, Physics major
        DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
        DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
        DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Then maybe just plan to count it as one science credit? if he wants to do a service academy they have pretty rigorous academic standards, some are outrageously rigorous! Our umbrella program allows you to count an 8th grade class if it is a high school math, science, or language. They strongly dissuade you from counting more than 2 credits from eighth grade because it looks like padding. That is their opinion though, and others have gone different ways based on what their child did in high school and what they wanted to do afterward.

So I guess my takeaway would be that it should be one credit if it is one class, even if it is stretched over two years. Another completely different option would be to pull out the content you want him to get personally, and then choose a different science track program that would allow him to complete one level per year for the next three years and put those on his transcript. The state of Tennessee only requires three sciences with labs for graduation but with a caveat that colleges are usually looking for 4 years. The frustrating thing is that what you want to do afterward becomes one of the most important factors in making your decisions in 8 through 12th grade. However, very few students know what they want to do when they are rising 8th grader. The best advice I have heard is to keep your kid on a college path until you find out for sure that they are not.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but it's what comes to mind from my perspective.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
          @ Home, virtual-HLN, & MPOA
          10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Rae,

I agree with momgineer: If you get biology done, but it takes two years, that would be a science credit for high school. I don't think it matters at all that you have started it in 8th grade and finish it in 9th. I would feel very comfortable with that. The idea is for your student to get through the course and learn the material, in preparation for college science. In my opinion, the time frame is flexible.

Tanya

Comment

I don’t see a problem with subjects being completed over two years. We often work over the summer on what we didn’t get to. I just count it on the transcript for the year it is completed. I plan on letting my son start regular biology this spring because his field biology class was canceled due to Coronavirus. He won’t finish it this year, but it is fine by me. If they let them complete the field biology next spring I have no problem counting it as a half credit as well.
              Dorinda

For 2019-2020
              DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
              DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
              DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
              DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Working...
              X