plan and credit help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plan and credit help

I am planning out my son's next two years, 11th and 12th. I am trying to figure out what to group with what for a full credit and also what to call the credit. Right now, his transcript reads (for 9 & 10) English 1, English 2, which consist of Literature through co-op and HS Comp through MPOA. He likely won't be doing either next year. We may possibly try to do the last three levels of CC at home. Or we may call Comp good. Not sure.

Also not sure what path to have him take for History. He will have Am History I & II on his transcript..

What we are considering/he is interested in for next year...
    MPOA Senior Seminar: Tolkien/Lewis
    MPOA Senior Thesis
    MPOA Material Logic/ Classical Rhetoric
    MPOA Political Philosophy (needs a gov't credit)
    MPOA Medieval History then maybe AP Europe the following year OR Europe I & II over both years, OR Homer and Virgil (we did not finish these) with all the Mills Books for Ancient History and then Europe the following year.

I would LOVE to study the following with him..
    Greek Tragedies
    Dante
    City of God
    On Obligations (I read somewhere this could be counted as "civics/government" ???)
    History of the Early Church

I don't have a "classical studies" distinction on his transcript, but may rework it.

He'll also have either A&P or Intro to Physics, VT Geometry, MPOA Latin and really wants to do Greek. ( I am not discouraging this, but his days are LONGGGG.)

What is a realistic for a very bright but distracted and SLOW worker?? I will be outsourcing Latin for sure, and would likely only have him do 2 more MPOA classes at most.

He's currently interested in Wyoming Catholic, Seminary, Harmel Academy or taking a Gap year for work and saving or mission.

Thank you!
    Katie

2020/21: 7th year with MP
    DS 16: 11th, MPOA Euro Hist I, CS III, Divine Comedy; Schole Geometry, Spanish; Catholic Social Teaching, A & P
    DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program; Catholic Social Teaching, VT Alg. 1
    DD 9: MP 5, Seton Religion and Spelling, MPOA: FF Latin, Fable
    Twin DD's 7: MP 2, Seton Religion and Phonics

See notes in blue below. I'm working on the same thing today!

Originally posted by Katie View Post
    I am planning out my son's next two years, 11th and 12th. I am trying to figure out what to group with what for a full credit and also what to call the credit. Right now, his transcript reads (for 9 & 10) English 1, English 2, which consist of Literature through co-op and HS Comp through MPOA. He likely won't be doing either next year. We may possibly try to do the last three levels of CC at home. Or we may call Comp good. Not sure.

You could also split out Literature and Comp for one English credit each.

Also not sure what path to have him take for History. He will have Am History I & II on his transcript..

What we are considering/he is interested in for next year...
    MPOA Senior Seminar: Tolkien/Lewis
    MPOA Senior Thesis
    MPOA Material Logic/ Classical Rhetoric
    MPOA Political Philosophy (needs a gov't credit)
    MPOA Medieval History then maybe AP Europe the following year OR Europe I & II over both years, OR Homer and Virgil (we did not finish these) with all the Mills Books for Ancient History and then Europe the following year.

My 10th grader wants to take Senior Thesis and Senior Seminar as well, but we're going to wait until 12th and focus next year on Dante and HS Comp III. It will also make for a somewhat "lighter" senior year since he's NUTS about Tolkien.

I'm counting Logic classes as Electives since they'll have more than enough English credits.

I would LOVE to study the following with him..
    Greek Tragedies
    Dante
    City of God
    On Obligations (I read somewhere this could be counted as "civics/government" ???)
    History of the Early Church

We're planning on using On Obligations as a government credit for my oldest; I would do this OR political philosophy, but I think Cicero would be better because it is more directly related to American government.

I don't have a "classical studies" distinction on his transcript, but may rework it.

Most CS at this stage fits under History or Literature, so I would use it to boost credits in whichever area needs them.

He'll also have either A&P or Intro to Physics, VT Geometry, MPOA Latin and really wants to do Greek. ( I am not discouraging this, but his days are LONGGGG.)

I'm assuming he's had biology and chemistry. Depending on his math acumen, you might want to consider Conceptual Physics by Paul G. Hewitt. It might be more doable for a slow worker. PM me if you would like more info on why/how we took that route for my oldest (younger brother did well enough in IP, but it was a struggle).

What is a realistic for a very bright but distracted and SLOW worker?? I will be outsourcing Latin for sure, and would likely only have him do 2 more MPOA classes at most.

He's currently interested in Wyoming Catholic, Seminary, Harmel Academy or taking a Gap year for work and saving or mission.

Ha! Our kids might run into each other someday!

Thank you!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

For a slow worker, I would not recommend trying to do the Modern Europe book in a single year. Its dense, and there is a ton to take in. If he did well doing American history over two years, I would suggest following that with Modern European over two years too. It will look good and solid on a transcript to have that pattern. That would be your history component. To complement that, I would sincerely suggest that you do try to get the classics of western civilization in as much as possible. I would take 11th grade to do the Iliad and Odyssey in the fall, and the Aeneid in the spring. Senior year I would have him do Divine Comedy. Those are the four baseline texts I want my kids to have read, if nothing else. They carry so much more weight than any compilation of random literature books - including Tolkien and Lewis (no slight implied there at all).

I think that is a reasonable and valuable set of texts to do. If you only have three levels of CC left, I would agree that you can probably call that "done" at this point. I would therefore keep the Material Logic/Classical Rhetoric in the list, the Political Philosophy course, and Cicero's texts (On Obligations and Republic/Laws). Of these, Cicero is probably my favorite. Definitely provided a solid understanding of our political system's foundation and helped identify how far we have slipped as a nation from our original ideals. For us, took the whole year to do both texts but was well worth it. I would perhaps do that junior year, and the material logic/classical rhetoric class senior year.

If he's only got two years left, and has been studying Latin thus far, I am not sure I would encourage Greek at this point. Greek is HARD. Takes A TON of time. It's definitely a valuable thing to study, and my son has relished the knowledge he has acquired, but for a kid already having long days, I'm not sure Greek is the thing to add at this point. That could be something he tries in college if he chooses a school that offers it.

Math, Latin, Science, History, Literature, and a sixth option (Cicero/Logic)...that's a full deck in my book. That's all I would recommend trying to line up for him to realistically get accomplished, especially if he wants to have time work, tinker, or do something hands-on outside of school time - which is something else I would definitely encourage.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 8
      DD, 6
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

One more thing...keep in mind that the discernment/application/decision process is time-consuming as well. You as the parent have to do a lot of "guidance counselor" work...which includes phone calls, application help, standardized test prep, guidance on researching options...that sort of thing. This takes mental space in their daily lives as well - which is another good reason not to try to overfill that last two years with all the things you don't want to miss. You simply have to pick the best of what you want and call it "good."

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

A note on test prep: because of the options he’s looking at, you may not need to spend as much time on that. I don’t know about seminary requirements, but Wyoming accepts the CLT which is less hoop-jumping than the SAT/ACT. Harmel doesn’t require any college testing. In our tech school search, we’ve found that our regional tech/community college doesn’t require them either. If you don’t have them, you can take the Accuplacer exam (and they said all homeschoolers are required to take Accuplacer anyway). I’m sure this depends on the school, but its something to be aware of.

ETA: to keep options open, we planned on A taking either the SAT or CLT until he was more certain of his trajectory. It was time to register so that’s why we have been solidifying his plan this week. He said if he doesn’t go the tech school route, he would go to Harmel so we now know that he won’t need the testing. His brother is a different story, but he’s headed for a Catholic liberal arts school so he wants to do the CLT.
          Last edited by jen1134; 02-11-2020, 10:18 AM.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
          DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
          DS11: SC 4
          DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
          DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
          DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Personally, if he wants to do Greek, I'd let him. Kids tend to do well with subjects they are eager to do. If you're concerned about time constraints, you could get him the First Form Greek set with DVDs and he can work through it as time allows.

Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys (7A, 6M, 2), classics major

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Thanks all!
              Sarah , I agree with your baseline texts. I am leaning toward Homer and Virgil next year. This will be helpful as my daughter will be doing this as well. Does Dante take a full year to complete? Thanks for the insight on European History. I think I'll have him do as you suggested and take 1 through MPOA next year and 2 his senior year. Tolkien and Lewis are popular and fun reads in our house so we will just keep those as such. Good point about the next two years of testing, discernment, admissions..we have started a bit of that with CLT prep and he'll take the ACT in April. I certainly don't want to load up his last two years and make it stressful.

jen1134 , First, thanks for the info about Harmel! Good to know. Who knows where his mind and heart will be tomorrow, let alone 2 years, but it's nice to start gathering info. Yes, he has Biology and is in Chem now. I'm not sure what route with Science we will take next year. I suppose it will depend on how the rest of Chem goes, if he finishes all VT by the end of the year, or if we decide to farm out science to CC. I know without a doubt I can't teach Physics, but I can teach A&P.

Nerdmom My son has been wanting to learn Greek for years. We have Elementary Greek 1 and did a bit of that a few years ago and fizzled out. We have a family friend that could tutor/teach him over the summer. I don't see him sticking with FF Greek, even though he's eager to learn it. I think if I don't assign it as a must-do-credit-worthy class, it'll get shoved aside. Like I said, not wanting to discourage him but also not wanting to overload him. I may just pull out EG again and see how serious he really is

Katie

DS 16: 11th, MPOA Euro Hist I, CS III, Divine Comedy; Schole Geometry, Spanish; Catholic Social Teaching, A & P

Comment

Dante is something that fills a year. That was how it was planned, that is how we did it, and it was wonderful. Definitely worth the time given to it. Next year my son will do it and the realization he only has to do ONE literature selection ON PURPOSE is like music to his math-loving ears. Today he came into the kitchen on purpose to tell me how cold circles are. And triangles. Totally rocking his world. Circles and triangles. 😆

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2020-2021
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 8
                DD, 6
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

Ok, not “cold;”. “Cool”. Why did that get changed like that? But I didn’t catch it and I wasn’t about to edit my post...😂

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 8
                  DD, 6
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                    Dante is something that fills a year. That was how it was planned, that is how we did it, and it was wonderful. Definitely worth the time given to it. Next year my son will do it and the realization he only has to do ONE literature selection ON PURPOSE is like music to his math-loving ears. Today he came into the kitchen on purpose to tell me how cold circles are. And triangles. Totally rocking his world. Circles and triangles. 😆

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    That's great!
                    I'm hoping circles and triangles will rock my sons world next year in Geometry. Algebra certainly is not..although much better after the VT switch. I am really looking forward to Dante next year and was hoping to do this with him but Mr. Maycock wins. My son loves him and is now super excited for Dante.

Regarding Cicero: Would one do both On Obligations AND Republic and Law for a .5 government credit? Or do you think we could do both of those AND Political Philosophy for a full Gov't/History Credit next year? Trying to simplify his transcript. He really wants the Political Philosophy course and I really want him to have Cicero
                    Katie

Comment

I'm hoping circles and triangles will rock my sons world next year in Geometry. Algebra certainly is not..although much better after the VT switch. I am really looking forward to Dante next year and was hoping to do this with him but Mr. Maycock wins. My son loves him and is now super excited for Dante.

oh, dear...we did not have rocking of the teenage boy world with math until AFTER the main texts (sorry to burst a bubble there). Our guy has already done Algebra 1 and 2, and Geometry - all of which he did, and did well, but he didn't have a reason to be overly expressive about any of it. He's been in precalculus at the CC this year, and has been discovering how much he really does love math through that. They did a College Algebra text first semester, and this semester is Trigonometry. It's in the trig that they are delving into circles and triangles again, and THIS time he's finding them to be amazing. Patience??

Regarding Cicero: Would one do both On Obligations AND Republic and Law for a .5 government credit? Or do you think we could do both of those AND Political Philosophy for a full Gov't/History Credit next year? Trying to simplify his transcript. He really wants the Political Philosophy course and I really want him to have Cicero

Not sure how these will be scheduled in a core, but our daughter did Cicero over a full year...one of the books each semester. She probably could have worked at it harder and gotten them done faster, but really, I'm glad she didn't. They were great, great texts, and she thoroughly enjoyed doing them. I don't think it's too much to still do Cicero independently, and then have a Political Philosophy class one semester with maybe an Econ or some sort of class like that for the second semester. You would just have to make a trade-off somewhere else in the curriculum if he seems to be too short on time. My current 16 year has been flexing his literature guides...fitting them in over breaks and whatnot so that he can save time during normal weeks. He's going to have a summer full of them at the rate he's going right now! Make concessions for what you both want, and he should be fine.
                      Hope that helps!
                      AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      2020-2021
                      DS, 16
                      DD, 14
                      DD, 12
                      DD, 10
                      DD, 8
                      DD, 6
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

Comment

Oh, and something to keep in mind about credits...I do try to keep the running tally in mind as I am planning each year, but I also keep in mind that things always change as the year goes along, too. I have had much better success tallying up credits once we see what did/did not get done and how long each thing took than trying to figure those things out ahead of time. So it's great to try to get credits nailed down right now as you are planning, but keep in mind that you can still figure those out at the end of the year too.

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2020-2021
                        DS, 16
                        DD, 14
                        DD, 12
                        DD, 10
                        DD, 8
                        DD, 6
                        +DS+
                        DS, 2

Comment

We are hoping for CC math after Geometry. Good to hear its working well for your guy.

My son is taking Econ now with MPOA and loving it! Who would have thought?? Not me! Just when you think you know your kid

I think the plan will be On Obligations first and see how that is going and if we have room and time for Republic, then will consider adding it.

Thanks for your thoughts!
                          Katie

Comment

Working...
                          X