Tech School Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech School Recommendations?

Harmel Academy in Grand Rapids is on our radar, but my son is specifically looking for automotive tech. Does anyone know of a good school for this? Our local tech school offers it but he would rather not go there. He's particularly interested in restoration and diesel mechanics.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Harmel is on our radar too. Would love to hear about schools that specialize in auto restoration. This and welding are my son's current interest. Maybe we can start a College like Harmel for Auto Restoration
    Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
    DS 15: 10th, MPOA: HS Comp II, Economics
    DD 13: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
    DD 9: 4th using 3A
    Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Katie My son just got off the phone with Harmel's founder. He said their program wouldn't be a direct tie-in for someone who specifically wants to go into automotive, but he was incredibly supportive! He said a good first step would be to seek a job at a local shop (janitorial work, etc) to see if the shop atmosphere is where you really want to be. If it is, then the next step would be to get a mechanic's certificate and begin working from there, learning the customs/restoration portion on the side. He said if the mechanic shop thing shows a different path, than Harmel would be a good next step because it would help you discern something of the same general area but with more branches.

Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
      7M with:

DS11
      SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
      Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
      SC Level C

Comment

Jen,
        Here are a couple of ideas
        Ferris State (Big Rapids, MI) www.ferris.edu/CET/auto-heet
        They have an associates of applied science in automotive service technology

Vincennes University in Indiana
        They have a similar two year auto technology program along with a diesel program and a partnership with John Deere.

Around here the community colleges also offer certificate of AAS programs, but possibly with less specialization. I haven’t studied up on this, but did a quick search on best automotive mechanics programs and these were two on one of the lists that looked within a reasonable distance if Grand Rapids was an option.

I would link stuff, but I seem unable to do so since the latest update to the forums.
        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
        DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
        DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Thanks, Dorinda! Apparently, he’s looking for a tech-only diploma/certificate program. He doesn’t want to deal with general ed. requirements. He was fine with Harmel having a humanities requirement because their Humanities program is reading/discussion focused rather than essays, and it would apply directly to his Faith/vocation.
          Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
          7M with:

DS11
          SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
          Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
          SC Level C

Comment

Jen,
            I thought at least one of the schools had a certificate program in addition to AAS. Another thing to consider is that a number of schools in this category are going to accept clep credit for gen ed requirements. I will keep looking.
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

My brother went to auto mechanic school right out of h.s. probably 20 yrs ago so I asked him. He did auto work for years and is now upper management in an auto parts chain. He specialized in adding all those fun tricked-out components to cars before getting into the management side. His school is now closed but this is what he said when I passed along the question:

‘Uti isnt bad. Wyotech is pretty good. I would look into those’.

I haven’t followed up on those leads but simply pass them along. My brother is in Denver and that is where he went to school as well.
              Regards,
              Hollie

2019-20:
              1-day/week co-op using MP materials
              DD & DS - 10th: MPOA: 4FL, HS Comp II; MP streaming Biology; VideoText Algebra; 10th Lit, Light to the Nations II
              DS - 7th, VideoText Algebra, MPOA: 2FL, Chreia/Maxim-Ref/Con
              DD - 7th, CHREIA/Maxim, MPOA: 2FL
              DD - 6A, 6th Lit.
              DD - 3A
              DS - 4yrs - pre-school/JrK when he will sit still
              Using MP complete since 2016-17; bits and pieces for many years previous

Comment

Working...
              X