precalculus Larson pacing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

precalculus Larson pacing help

After looking over the past conversations on precalculus, I have decided that I like the Larson text that HLS/MPOA uses. I understand from past conversations that they cover the entire book except most of chapter 7. I know you are no where near having this course developed for homeschool use mainly due to video instruction. I am very capable of teaching this myself and we do not seek any kind of video instruction. What I am hoping MP can offer is a rough draft of lesson plans. I'd like to know which problems your schools assign and how to pace the class. If we did a lesson a day including a day a piece for chapter reviews and tests, it would only take 80 days. We school 4 days a week (plus a day for co-op classes) and MP plans usually include 4 days of math for 34 weeks which would be 132 days of math lessons. Doing a lesson a day is too fast and doing a lesson every two days is too slow unless we start way early and work way late or skip more than chapter 7. I figure the various teachers at the HLS/MPOA have figured out how to pace (Cindy in Indy????). Is it at all possible to buy a rough draft of their lesson plans? bonus if that could include their tests with key (otherwise we would just use the sample tests in the text).
    I am mainly interested in knowing what problems are assigned (there are usually close to 100 for each lesson!). I could pace it from there, but if they have written out how many days they spend of each lesson, I would love to have that information. I am assuming some lessons are done in one day and some in two days. *fingers crossed* that someone at MP can provide me with enough information to create this course for my daughter!
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Hopefully someone know more. Tanya didn't think anything was going to be available last year when I asked this or something similar. Chalk Dust assigns every other odd for most of the lessons and the Study and Solutions Manual does have tests in it. I really like this book, but we went with Derek Owens.

Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Hello.

I am attaching our pre-calculus syllabus from HLS this year. I hope this helps you until we have official lesson plans. This should at least show what we cover and help with pacing. Let me know if I can do anything else to make this easier for you!

Tanya

Pre-Calculus 2019-2020 Syllabus.pdf

Comment

Tanya- That helps tremendously! I suppose I can assign the every other odd as suggested above and use the lesson pacing of the syllabus. It’s nice to see which lessons the experienced teacher seems worth spending extra time on.
        Now, any chance the teacher would be willing to let you sell a beta version of the quizzes/tests they give???? I’m assuming they have PDF files of the quizzes/tests and even the answer key. It’s just a dream and I can certainly muddle through without. But I’d happily pay if the opportunity exists to use the quizzes/tests.
        DS, 21, chemistry major
        DS, 18, Physics major
        DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

I will ask the teacher tomorrow what she has put together and if I can get a copy of it. (We don't have school on Monday.)

Tanya

Comment

Wow, awesome! Thank you for looking into it. I imagine many others are in a similar boat since we started using algebra 1 when you came out with it and have since used algebra 2 and geometry. Next fall- precalculus for all those who started algebra when we did. No hurry since this is for next school year but I thought if i got the idea planted then maybe something could come about by then.
            I know you probably aren’t thinking of completing precalc plans now that you switched to videotext but if the teachers have the resources then maybe that can be an option for those like me who have kids who need one on one instruction and don’t do well with online or video teaching.
            DS, 21, chemistry major
            DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

Even though we won't be able to use them, I'm glad there might be plans and tests available for the HLS precalc book. We've used it as an extra resource several times. I really like it.
              Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Momgineer,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. Our precalculus teacher is new, and she doesn't feel her tests are ready for anyone to use. She is still working it out. I have asked her if she would consider developing them for publication this summer, so maybe I will have them during the summer. I'm sorry I don't have anything right now, but I am working on it!

Tanya

Comment

Tanya, you are awesome! If it works out to get tests by fall, great! I would be ecstatic! For now, I can very thankful just to have the syllabus you posted so I can see how many days they spend on each lesson! That is a BIG help.
                  DS, 21, chemistry major
                  DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

Working...
                  X