High School Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Advise

I would appreciate advise from your stores of wisdom. I am working on my plan for my dd for next year. She will be in 10th grade. A little background for anyone who doesn't remember me: We were with MP a few years ago, but I became fickle and left to experiment with a CM education. My children are now 7th and 9th. It became clear that I needed to get very serious about their education. Actually, I have always been very serious about their education, but it became clear to me that I needed to be back with MP. So, we started over in January of this year. We are not doing everything with MP, but by fall of 2020 I hope to be back on track.

Here is an outline of where my dd will be at the end of her 9th grade year:

Latin - Completed Beginning Latin and Intermediate Latin through Homeschool Connections using Wheelock Latin. She had completed FFL and SFL before we left MP.
    Algebra I using MP's Prentice Hall book and streaming videos
    Biology I using Apologia and a lab through a local coop
    Literature - Completed two classes through Homeschool Connections with Joseph Pierce on The Hobbit and LOTR, completed Dracula through Homeschool Connections , As You Like It at home and will have completed Beowulf using the MP guide
    American History using Paul Johnson's History of the American People and a good George Washington biography
    American Government through our local coop
    Public Speaking through our local coop
    Narrative Stage of Classical Composition
    Christian Studies IV
    The Greek Alphabet

This is what I am thinking for 10th grade:

Latin - She wants to continue with Advanced Latin through Homeschool Connections. I am okay with that because she has finished 2/3rd of Wheelock Latin so I understand why she wants to finish it. We will plan to finish out her junior and senior year doing Latin through MPOA
    Greek - First Form Greek
    Algebra II through MPOA
    Intro to Physics through MPOA
    Medieval History using the new MP book and guide
    Classical Comp - 1st semester we will do Chreia & Maxim, 2nd semester we will do Refutation & Confirmation
    Classical Studies I: We will do this on our own using the Greek history guide and the videos for The Illiad and The Odyssey
    Literature: I don't think we can do more than two literature guides since we are also reading Homer, so I am planning on To Kill a Mockingbird and Romeo & Juliet
    Christian Studies - The Story of Christianity

I would love to have her do Traditional Logic through MPOA, but I am questioning whether or not this will be too much. She also plays violin and has private lessons to prepare for as well as participation in an advanced youth orchestra. Additionally, she works 9 hours a week at a horse stable nearby.

So, any advise? Would you change anything? Would you try to make Logic fit? If so, would you swap it with something else or just try to find time for it?

I truly appreciate any suggestions that you can offer to help me maximize these last few years.

Melisa
    Last edited by Melisa Burke; 01-21-2020, 08:30 PM.
    Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 10 years

dd - 9th grade using MP and Homeschool Connections
    ds - 7th grade using MP

Melisa,

I think your plan looks quite good. It is intense, so I wouldn't add Logic at this time since you are adding Greek. You can do it next year. And let her take her time with the Greek. If it takes 2 years to get through FFG, that is fine. It is just supposed to be an introduction to Greek anyway. I guess it will depend on how intense her Latin is and how much time it requires. My only other suggestion to ease the load a little is to slow down Classical Comp. Jim Selby said about his program that if students get through Refutation/Confirmation, that is really enough and the rest is gravy. So if you want to spend a year on Chreia/Maxim and her 11th grade year on Ref/Con, that would be fine.

I guess my best advice is to start with this master plan, but if it begins to overwhelm her, slow it down, and that is okay! Some people also take two years for Homer, so slowing classical down is another option you can keep in your mind.

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,

Thank you. It is good to know we can cut back a bit on Classical Comp and not be jeopardizing too much. Also, maybe we can take a little longer (3 semesters) to finish Greek history and Homer and spend her last 3 semesters doing Roman history and the Aeniad. I will keep hashing this out, but I think I am closing in on a plan. One thing that I need to keep in mind as I work through this process is my daughter’s plan for Greek. She hopes to finish FF Greek her sophomore year and take Greek through MPOA her junior and senior year, which makes her last two years full also. We may have to sacrifice logic, although I would prefer not to do that.

Melisa
      Melisa

ds - 7th grade using MP

Comment

Okay, I am going to take another stab at next year's 10th grade plan:

Wheelock Advanced Latin through Homeschool Connections
        Classical Studies I
        Algebra II through MPOA
        Intro to Physics through MPOA
        Traditional Logic I and II through MPOA
        First Form Greek
        The Story of Christianity
        Classical Comp - Chreia & Maxim
        Literature - To Kill a Mockingbird/Romeo and Juliet

This will allow us to do Traditional Logic. I would count Classical Studies as her history. She already has a good start on literature credits, so we could back off a little and only do two lit guides, plus we would have composition counting as maybe a 1/2 credit. If we need to add history, I would go with Renaissance and Reformation since it is an easier text than Medieval Europe.

Any thoughts, ladies? I'm trying to maximize these last three years without killing my kid, or myself.

Melisa
        Melisa

ds - 7th grade using MP

Comment

Melisa,

This looks good to me! Isn't it a relief to have a plan in place? The "plan" always made me nervous!

Tanya

Comment

Since you already got Tanya's seal of approval, you don't really need mine too...but just wanted to give you a virtual high five/fist bump on getting through the planning process. Rock on!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 8
            DD, 6
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Sarah,

Thanks for chiming in. I always value your opinion so if you have any other suggestions, please share them.

Tanya,

Thank you for your guidance! Yes, it feels good to get the plan nailed down. Now I can start budgeting to make sure I can shop at the MP table and Eighth Day Books at the conference. I am so looking forward to July!

Melisa
              Melisa

ds - 7th grade using MP

Comment

Working...
              X