Dante video lessons not scheduled in lesson plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dante video lessons not scheduled in lesson plans

I have recently purchased the Dante set and the lesson plans. I am waiting to buy the streaming (hoping against hope that there will be a more permanent option than having to rebuy streaming every few years for the next kid!), but I am planning out how next year will work and I am wondering how to use the video lessons since they are not in the lesson plans. Is there a video lesson for each day in the lesson plans? Or is the video only watched every so often (like in Greek Tragedies)? How long is each lesson and how many are there? Thanks!!!
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Hello.

Mr. Janke does the Introduction to Dante before you read, and then he assigns the reading of Cantos I-II before you come back and watch lesson one. At the end of each video, he makes the assignment for your next reading, so your reading will come before you watch the lecture. You might want to experiment with whether your student does better with the comprehension questions right after reading or after watching the lecture. But here's my opinion for what it's worth: I would read the cantos with the study guide beside me, marking my book as I come to passages that answer the questions. Then, answer the questions in the study guide and watch the dvd. Mr. Janke's lectures do not necessarily follow the study guide; they are more like overviews and draw out interesting and important details. I think they will be more enjoyable if the student has a good working knowledge of the text first. Then, watch the lecture with your text in hand and enjoy it. The lectures are where the material is brought alive! Maybe I'll rewrite the lesson plans to reflect this. I really like the thought of it. So let me know if it works for you!

Tanya

Comment

To add to Tanya's answer, when you buy The Divine Comedy Streaming Videos you get access to the following:

Inferno: Introduction + 17 video lessons
      Purgatorio: Introduction + 16 video lessons
      Paradiso: Introduction + 16 video lessons

Each lesson varies in length, but all are around 30 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
        Each lesson varies in length, but all are around 30 minutes.
        We aren't to Dante yet, but we are working through the Iliad DVDs (which are awesome!), but I'd second the request for a list of how long each lecture is. Perhaps there is a track list somewhere that would make this easy to compile?
        Something as simple as Introduction - 32 minutes, Book I - 35 minutes, Book II - 34 minutes, etc. would be helpful for planning any class with a DVD lecture set.
        Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys (7A, 6M, 2), classics major

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdmom View Post

We aren't to Dante yet, but we are working through the Iliad DVDs (which are awesome!), but I'd second the request for a list of how long each lecture is. Perhaps there is a track list somewhere that would make this easy to compile?
          Something as simple as Introduction - 32 minutes, Book I - 35 minutes, Book II - 34 minutes, etc. would be helpful for planning any class with a DVD lecture set.
          Thanks for the recommendation! We are going to work on this.

Comment

Tanya and Allie, that is helpful, thank you. I'm still pretty confused though. I can't buy the lectures till August when we start or they will expire before we finish and I don't want to pay extra to extend the time just so I can plan here and there this spring. So I am not really sure how the lectures are set up. Based on what Allie said and what the teacher guide has, it looks like there is a lecture for each "lesson" in the guide which usually covers two cantos. The lesson plans seem to assign a canto a day or a "lesson" to be covered over two days. I would assume you watch the lesson after the second day of the lesson (based on Tanya's suggestions) so Monday and Wednesday are light in that they read a canto and do half of the guide and Tuesday and Thursday are heavy because you do everything you do on Monday and Wednesday plus watch the video. How long is each video lesson? Are we talking an hour of watching video on these days or just 15 minutes? Plus, after each lesson, I have to sit and "teach" the lesson by going over the work done and doing all the drill questions and discussions assigned in the guide (which aren't mentioned in the lesson plans???????). So that makes Tu and Thu even that much longer. I suppose I could have her watch the video for the previous lesson on Mon and Wed before she reads and does the guide for that day. The Greek Tragedies lesson plans actually tell you in the lesson plans when to watch each lesson on the video and that is soooo helpful.

In looking at the Teacher Guide, I am not sure where everything is assigned in the lesson plans. The Guide has two introductory lectures in it that are not assigned in the lesson plans. The lesson plans have you start on the first week on Monday reading the text intro and canto 1. Are we supposed to do all the introductory lectures and the intro video lecture before school starts or was it intended that Dante lesson plans not start till the second week of school? If so, the weeks numbering will not match up with all the other lesson plans. A minor inconvenience, but for a Dante newbie teacher, it just adds to the confusion.

Also, in looking at the lesson plans, it seems they only schedule 28 weeks of work. That leaves 6 weeks without scheduled work if you go by the typical 34 weeks MP usually schedules. It seems that leaves time for all the introductory lessons not scheduled and days to spread out the work and watch the videos. Have you ever considered reworking the lesson plans to include the introductory lessons from the TG and scheduling the video lectures and spreading it out over 34 weeks?

Another question- I see quizzes assigned in the lesson plans and the final over each book, but the TG mentions taking a midterm in each book including assigning a few days to study and there are midterms in the quiz/test packet, but I do not see midterm tests assigned anywhere in the lesson plans. Am I missing it or was it left out on purpose?

Finally, another very minor issue, but the Teacher Guide and Student Guide do not have a table of contents. I usually like to look at the TOC to get an idea of how many lessons are included and when quizzes and tests are assigned. It would be great it the guides could have a TOC that breaks down how many lessons in each of the three books and what pages the quizzes and tests and such are on. I had to flip through my TG to see how many lessons there were for each book so I could match that against Allie's reported number of lectures for each book to be able to figure out that there is a video lesson for each lesson in the TG. Usually I could tell this from a TOC.

I am so sorry to be so needy here. If I hit these stumbling blocks during the school year, my daughter and I use it as an excuse to delay work and we get behind. I really like to have everything figured out as best I can before the school year starts and my best way to beat the winter doldrums is to do all this planning for next year so I stay excited about school. Thank you for your help!!!
            DS, 21, chemistry major
            DS, 18, Physics major
            DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

(Since I can't edit without going into limbo) I just saw that Allie did state the approximate time of each video lesson- 30 minutes. so that answers that part of the questions.
              DS, 21, chemistry major
              DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

Hang tight! I realized when I was looking through the videos yesterday that the lesson plans need to be tweaked to allow for the videos. I am working on that and will let you know when I have them completed. I'm going to do a total rework. That should take care of most of your questions, so let's reconvene after I have had a chance to look more closely at what I want to do here.

Tanya

Comment

Awesome! One first glance the lesson plans seemed very thorough till I looked closer at the TG. It appears the current lesson plans are a “rough draft” for those needing to use something and you are revising and expanding them to be more comprehensive. That’s great! I never seem to know when I have a “here is something to get you by” version or a “here is our final best” version. I really appreciate that you offer “something light” to get people started when you aren’t able to offer the final version yet. I also really appreciate how awesome your final versions tend to be. (Is there a way to mark which is which- call them beta versions or something?) I am in no hurry since we don’t need them till next year. I just like to get to planning early. I know we keep you hopping Tanya! Call it job security 🤷‍♀️? Thank you for all you do!
                  DS, 21, chemistry major
                  DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

Actually, when we originally wrote the lesson plans, they were complete! But now that we have added the videos, we need to adjust for them. For our customers who have been using the program without the videos over the years, these would have been considered final. If we didn't keep adding to our programs, I would have been done long ago! But at least I will have plenty to keep me busy when I'm in my rocking chair in the nursing home!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you for putting this update on your to-do-list, Tanya! We are looking forward to using the streaming videos with Dante next year. I can't believe I am planning for Senior year!
                      All the best,
                      Kristin

Comment

tanya I was getting ready to purchase the Dante plans and then remembered this thread. Wondered if I purchased them now (in the thick of planning) if it would automatically update when they are reworked to include the videos? Also, maybe I missed this in another thread but assuming by Debbie's first post, there will not be a DVD option for Dante, only streaming?
                        Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
                        DS 15: 10th, MPOA: HS Comp II, Economics
                        DD 13: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
                        DD 9: 4th using 3A
                        Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
                          tanya I was getting ready to purchase the Dante plans and then remembered this thread. Wondered if I purchased them now (in the thick of planning) if it would automatically update when they are reworked to include the videos? Also, maybe I missed this in another thread but assuming by Debbie's first post, there will not be a DVD option for Dante, only streaming?
                          Good question! I bought the lesson plans yesterday, forgetting that they would likely be updated.

Comment

Hello. The plans will automatically be updated in your files when we change them. It is sitting on my desk at work to do, but I can't seem to stay in town to get it done! And this week But I had a wisdom tooth pulled that has set me back unexpectedly! It is my next lesson plan project though, so have hope.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
                              Hi Katie, we have searched high and low and we do have a USB option that we can pursue but it will only work on Windows machines. That means the USB won't work on a TV (unless you have a Windows machine connected to it), a game console, or a Mac. It will not be copiable or downloadable from the USB. If you're interested in that option, email Tanya 😀
                              Paul Schaeffer
                              --
                              Academy Director
                              Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Working...
                              X