High School Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

This year he is doing a homeschool field biology class at UMich-Dearborn which he loves, but isn’t time efficient either.
    WOW! That would be a dream come true for my son!

Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2019-2020
    DS 12, 7th Grade
    DD 11, 6th Grade
    DS 5, K

Comment

Sarah,

Thank you for your articulately written thoughts about homeschooling, friendship, and the beauty of doing the hard things because they reap the best fruit in our lives, and it's what we are called to do. I know how hard it is to find the time to sit down and write a response on the Forum or return emails in the midst of the busyness of teaching, household chores, and generally keeping the family afloat. I'm so grateful that you took the time to share your thoughts, and I agree with Diana that I need to print it out and refer to it whenever I'm in doubt of the course we've chosen, which ultimately is the course I believe God has placed us upon. Being an extrovert myself, I sometimes question the loneliness that can be a part of certain seasons. We started out at our church school and there was a built in community there, especially for the moms. Now that we homeschool with Memoria Press, the other homeschool communities don't fit with the Memoria curriculum, and I love how the studies have produced perseverance, growth academically, and character development. I could give up Memoria, be a part of one of the co-ops in the area and maybe scratch that social itch, but I feel like we'd sacrifice the excellence that we enjoy so much in Memoria Press.

I also think that some of friends whose children are entering 9th grade or have children already in high school were raising concerns that I took on as well, probably because she's our oldest, and that anxiety can be contagious(i.e Am I doing enough to prepare her to face the world when she leaves home? Will she be shocked by all that is introduced in college, should she go away? Will missing out on homecoming, football games, prom, etc... be detrimental in some way to her development?) My husband and I were talking about our high school experiences (both of us attended private college preparatory schools), and we realized that the events that are deemed so consequential in the high school experience didn't matter much and that we didn't feel like we truly found our place until college.

I'm sorry to ramble - just going through some of the process with this decision. I appreciate you sharing your story - it's so helpful to know that we're not the only ones who feel this way.
      Maran Grace

DD12 Grade 8
      DD7 Grade 3
      DD3 Jr. Kindergarten

Peachtree Corners, GA

Comment

Absolutely! Answering a question or sharing what we have realized through the same experiences actually helps me process things too. It’s a win-win!

I loved Dorinda’s response as well, and also share the same thoughts she offered and you echoed about comparing what our children will have as their body of experiences with what we had in our own lives. I have always thought of myself as an extroverted introvert - I relished the clubs, sports, and activities I did in high school that allowed me to be around people, but also spared me from having to make a lot of conversation. We always had a task or project to be our focus, not “visiting.” So now, as an adult, I find it difficult to have social relationships because no one here shares my “task” - homeschooling a large family using MP!!! I think friendships designed around something else will have to wait until that next phase of life, maybe???

I think we do have to catch ourselves from creating worries that add to our sense of doubt. For me, the more times I go through something, the less worried I am each time (except childhood illnesses - I seem to go in the other direction with those. Uber-paranoid with this last one!!). I find that having a second high schooler nearing the end has made me realize that if he can make it through, anyone can! He has complained about school from day one of first grade. He has always wanted more outside interaction and stimulation than we have ever been able to give. He has had the most questions about his future and needed the highest level of conversation about it. And yet, I fully expect him to enter college, find his tribe, and turn around to my dh and I and say, “Thank you so much for homeschooling me. It was actually worth it.” I expect this because I sense he knows it, deep down, already, but the irritation at still waiting will not let it rise to the surface yet. I also sense this because our daughter, who was at the other extreme of homeschooling (totally loved it and never complained about it a single time), has been growing into life in college - a process he is able to watch and learn from since she is still at home. And he’s starting to visit schools, which is helping him craft a vision of his life “post-homeschooling.” It’s helping him worry less, which is helping me worry less, too.

And it’s funny. My oldest never seemed to care about missing out on the typical high school experiences of sports games, pep rallies, dances, etc. But she has been quite the “joiner” already - even has a college ball coming up in February. It can all be there if they want it - just a bit later than high school!

Just some more thoughts for you.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

We have sent our children to public school part-time for 2-3 and sometimes 4 classes per year and homeschooled the other subjects. I don't know if you have to be going full-time to make friends, but going to public school did not result in friends for my children. They know more people now, but no relationships. I think part of the problem is that we don't allow the kids to have cell phones.

Erica in SD
          Mother of 8
          DS 19 Sophomore in college, EE major
          DS 17 Senior 3 public school courses, Homeschool Connections
          DD 15 Sophmore 2 public school courses, Homeschool Connections and MP
          DD 13 MP and Homeschool Connections
          DS 10 MP Mix of 5 and 6
          DD 7 MP 2 and R&S 3
          DS 4 MP K
          DS Patrick died at 2mos in 2017 from sepsis. Born with Down Syndrome and hole in heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Erica Mentele View Post
            We have sent our children to public school part-time for 2-3 and sometimes 4 classes per year and homeschooled the other subjects. I don't know if you have to be going full-time to make friends, but going to public school did not result in friends for my children. They know more people now, but no relationships. I think part of the problem is that we don't allow the kids to have cell phones.
            Cell phones don't really matter, either. Because dd comes to work with me at a university and walks to class and such, she has a phone. Our kids' life experience is just so different from brick and mortar school kids that there generally aren't connections to be made there. Her handful of "schooled" friends come from 4H and theater, and even so, she's closer with other homeschooled kids. She also has had enough of public school drama from the swim team.
            Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

I'm sure you are correct. The kids did some sports and coop classes, but did not click with anyone. My kids in public high school now have not met anyone they are interested in forming relationships with. This is disappointing, but probably just as well. I hear there is all kinds of swearing even in the classroom. I assume it is not audible to teachers.

I do know that the first thing my oldest son bought was a cell phone at age 18, and that led to a big argument. I think we held onto it until he left for college. My oldest really wanted to fit in during high school. He talks about enjoying the reboot he got going to college and not being identified as homeschooled.
              Erica in SD
              Mother of 8
              DS 19 Sophomore in college, EE major
              DS 17 Senior 3 public school courses, Homeschool Connections
              DD 15 Sophmore 2 public school courses, Homeschool Connections and MP
              DD 13 MP and Homeschool Connections
              DS 10 MP Mix of 5 and 6
              DD 7 MP 2 and R&S 3
              DS 4 MP K
              DS Patrick died at 2mos in 2017 from sepsis. Born with Down Syndrome and hole in heart.

Comment

Working...
              X