Where to place dd in high school Latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to place dd in high school Latin?

Dd (14 and in ninth grade) took a semester of Latin in a private school last fall. The text she used was Reading Latin, by Jones and Sidwell; she did well in the course. She subsequently left the school and is now homeschooled. She wishes to continue with Latin, but I have no idea what program to use. Here are my concerns:

1. I don't want her to have to start from scratch (although obviously if that's necessary, that's what she'll do).

2. My Latin background is negligible, and with a younger special-needs child I'm not sure I can be much help in terms of learning along with her. But again, if a program that necessitates my learning the language is our best option, I'll do what it takes.

3. I would like for her Latin work (past and future) to count as high school credit, not just an interesting survey of the language.

There are so many Latin programs out there, and my eyes are glazing over from looking at them all. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Latin course

Good morning!
    We have a new Latin curriculum coming out in the fall that we are beta testing right now. I would love for your daughter to join our testing program. It is called First Form Latin and is intended for beginning older Latin students. Since your daughter has some Latin background, she could probably move through First Form quickly. We are offering the beta materials for $39. That includes a student text, a workbook with 4-5 pages of exercises for each lesson, a set of vocab. flashcards, and a comprehensive teacher guide that includes a workbook key, quizzes and tests with key, and scripted teaching guidelines for each lesson. Students will learn the 5 noun declensions, 1st-2nd declension adjectives, numbers, and 6 verb tenses in the 1st-2nd conjugations. This is a program written to be teacher-friendly, so your daughter could actually read the scripted lessons herself if you don't have the time to help her and she is a sufficiently motivated learner. We are excited about this program because it is a compilation of years of Latin teaching experience and we believe that this is the best format to successfully move to reading Latin literature.
    Please email me and I'll send you the link for the beta program so you can look at it. It is not available to the public at this time so you can't see it on our website without the link. I would love to talk further with you about this. My email address is tanya@memoriapress.com.
    Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Tanya Charlton

Comment

Beta for 13 Year Old

Tanya,

I am interested in beta testing your new program for my 13 year old son who wants to study Latin for the first time. We want to start at the end of March so please tell me what we need to do!

Thanks,
      Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

We would love to have your son join our beta program. Just click on the link below and you can order First Form. At the bottom of that page, there is also a place where you can join our First Form group on Yahoo. There, you can see the mistakes our users have already found and post your own comments. Let me know if you have any more questions.
        Thanks,
        Tanya

http://memoriapress.com/descriptions/first-form-latin.html

Comment

I'm knew to homeschooling and Latin! Can you please tell me how First Form compares to Latin Christina and Henle? Where would he go next after he finishes this course? Is this course considered high school level for credit?

Jennifer
          Mother to Noah Age 13

Comment

Hello.

Latina Christiana is a beginning Latin course, but First Form was written with the intention of being a more challenging curriculum for beginning older students. First Form has a separate workbook that has 4-5 pages of exercises for each lesson, too much for a younger child, but perfect for solidifying the grammar for an older child. It is very teacher friendly because it has lesson plans that are scripted for the teacher.

Henle is a great curriculum, but it can be overwhelming because it moves quickly into translation before the student has a good grasp on the grammar. We have found that students better succeed with the Henle after completing a good grammar study. Plus, the Henle requires the student to do the exercises on his own paper, so you lose the workbook advantage.

We will eventually have 4 forms - Second Form will be available as a beta program this fall, and hopefully, the other 2 forms will come in the next 2 years. That will give students a 4 year study of grammar. At the end of that time, they will move to translation of Latin literature and the Vulgate. We believe that more students will accept the challenge of reading Latin literature if they are well-grounded in the grammar before they attempt a heavy translation.

We have tested the Forms at Highlands Latin School for several years now, and we are very pleased with the results.

If I can help you with more of your curriculum decisions than just Latin, I will be glad to. Just give me a call.

Thanks,
            Tanya

Comment

One more question. Do I need to include the Book of Roots with First Form like it was suggested with LC?

Jennifer

Comment

The Book of Roots is not necessary to your Latin study. A study of derivatives is included in First Form. Roots is a supplement to Latin. If I were you, since you are just setting out on homeschooling, I would be careful not to overload yourself until you see what you and your child can do. Then, if your child is moving along well and you feel has the time and inclination for a supplement, you can add it at any time.
                Tanya

Comment

Working...
                X