Logical next step after VT math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logical next step after VT math

My dd began VideoText math this year as a 9th grader, after having completed Pre-Algebra through the MPOA with Mr. Thomas in 8th grade. She is doing very well and will finish both the algebra and geometry modules by 12th grade (if not before).

My ds12 (7th grade) was watching the videos over her shoulder and catching on to concepts. Instead of doing CoTR with him this year, I just decided to let him do VT, as well. (He is a few lessons behind his sister). He does very well in math and science and his scores in each subject are over 95%.

Two questions for those who are further along this path than we are:

1. Am I setting ds up for potential problems later on? Is there any reason to slow him down at this level? (I still have nightmares about accelerating little ones and having them hit brick walls when material was beyond their ability to think/reason in early grade school.)

and

2. If he continues at this rate, he will finish both the algebra and geometry modules by the end of 10th grade. Would he then move on to pre-calculus in 11th grade and then calculus in 12th?
    According to VT, the geometry module would count as geometry and trigonometry. When I was in HS, we had Algebra I and II, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. There was no such thing as pre-algebra or pre-calculus. Is pre-cal what we used to call trig?
    Last edited by Mary; 01-08-2020, 02:42 PM.
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Mary,

We do geometry in 10th grade at HLS, so it looks like Adam is right on track. Our students do precalc in 11th and calc in 12th. Or, if they are really motivated, they do precalc the summer before 11th, calc in 11th, and AP Calc in 12th.

Someone else will have to answer your trig question. I have no idea what trig is!

Tanya

Comment

I’m not sure how thorough VT geometry is in trig and other pre-calc concepts like sequences and series, matrices, and analytic geometry. I wish had seen more reviews to know if I trusted VT to thoroughly cover pre-calculus. So I’m no help in recommending the next step after VT.
      however, i have lots of experience with students taking algebra in 7th. I’ve had two now in college do so and one 7th grader currently doing so. One of mine did algebra in 7 then went to public school and did geometry in 8th at the high school (they busses him there!) and went on to do algebra 2, pre calc, AP AB calculus in 11 and then self studies APBC calc in 12th. He took calc 3 in college as well as linear algebra. Another was homeschooled through high school. He did algebra 7, geometry 8, algebra 2 9, precalc 10, APBC calc 11, calc 3 at community college 12 and is currently a freshman double majoring in physics and math who got to start his math degree with sophomore math classes since he already had all three calculuses. Neither of them hit a brick wall in math. They were ready. My young guy seems to be following in his big brother’s foot steps. We are using the old MP texts/Lp/tests and he is just starting the section on graphing (chapter 7) and he practically told me everything he will be learning because it just made sense to him. He “sees” math relationally so he sees how the the equations make lines graphically. No idea why his brain works like this but it reinforced to me that he really is at the right math level. I’ve also had three take the “standard” advanced math track of algebra in 8 and finishing with calc 1 senior year so it’s not like I push algebra in 7th. It just happened that they did their Singapore PM texts quickly and finished pre-algebra in 6th. It sounds like your guy is similar. He is interested and ready. If he finishes all VT in 10th, I’d do a comprehensive pre-calc in 11 just to be sure trig is thoroughly taught with all the graphing and sine equation relationships as well as other non algebra/geometry pre calc topics then do calc in 12. If you find that VT covers enough ore calc for you consider going directly to calc in 11 (try to do AP or college class so it counts) and then he can do calc 2 and/or calc 3 at a college senior year.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 20, Physics major
      DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
      DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

I had a good friend go through video text and she felt it had gaps in pre-calculus. In reading some posts over on the well trained mind forum several video text users there question giving a precalculus credit for video text because of a less than complete coverage I believe of functions. I haven’t looked at it closely, but I would plan on some coverage of precalculus and reevaluate when you get closer.

tanya, trigonometry (trig) is the study of triangle side and angle relationships, most typically right triangles. It was one of my favorite topics in high school math probably because it had so many practical applications.
        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
        DD College Freshman
        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

My 9th grader is doing Precalc this year. After talking to the teacher at a "gifted" high school in Indiana, she suggested: 10th grade Calc AB, 11th Grade Calc BC. There are classes for Grade 12, too, but she might graduate or study abroad that year, so I'm trying to not plan too far ahead.

I looked at VideoText's Precalc last year, and it covers (at least topic-wise) what Derek Owen's Algebra 2 course covers. I'm not sure about depth. So an honors PreCalc course (like Derek Owens) would be a good follow up if you don't want to jump into calculus. And honestly, if he's mastering VideoText, I don't see how he could hit a wall later. Dd did slow down a little in Algebra 2, but we just didn't move on until each thing was mastered and now she's flying through Precalc. That's the beauty of homeschooling.
          Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Thank you, Dorinda. "Trignonometry" is a fancy name for studying triangles? Who knew?

Tanya

Comment

I still have only a 10 year old as the oldest at home, but this will be on the horizon sooner, rather than later. What is the advantage to doing the Pre-Algebra class then VT, vs say R&6 straight to VT? (It was my understanding that VT did include some pre-algebra?) (I clearly know nothing, but want to be better informed) My personal situation is that I have Aug/Sep birthday kids who we decided to go with our local requirements as far as "cut off" dates and my kids will be the oldest. However, there is a little part of me that is considering graduating them a year "ahead" and having their "senior" year be more of a transition year where they do something besides go straight to college. However, that will cut off a year of math......so maybe for that reason alone it's a bad idea? My 10 year old is technically in "'4th" grade, but could be a 5th grader in other states, etc.
              Last edited by howiecram; 01-09-2020, 08:59 AM.
              Christine

(2021/2022)
              DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
              DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
              DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                I still have only a 10 year old as the oldest at home, but this will be on the horizon sooner, rather than later. What is the advantage to doing the Pre-Algebra class then VT, vs say R&6 straight to VT? (It was my understanding that VT did include some pre-algebra?) (I clearly know nothing, but want to be better informed) My personal situation is that I have Aug/Sep birthday kids who we decided to go with our local requirements as far as "cut off" dates and my kids will be the oldest. However, there is a little part of me that is considering graduating them a year "ahead" and having their "senior" year be more of a transition year where they do something besides go straight to college. However, that will cut off a year of math......so maybe for that reason alone it's a bad idea? My 10 year old is technically in "'4th" grade, but could be a 5th grader in other states, etc.
                Christine, I can't speak directly to this question, but I wanted to share our experience with pre-algebra and VT:

As you know, my oldest is very similar to your R. He had pre-algebra in 8th grade (at age 14 bc we held him back a year when switching to MP). I completely failed at teaching it, so he had to repeat it with MPOA in 9th (age 15). The class was fantastic, and the teacher was incredibly supportive, but he came out with a C and still didn't understand important concepts. This year, at 16, he's starting over with VT. He came to me a few weeks ago to turn in his exercise problems and said, "I FINALLY understand [equivalent] fractions!" He's loving VT because it's making math make sense. His brother, who did fine in the MPOA class, is also finding VT very clear and well-explained. I plan to skip COTR and go straight to VT for all of my younger children.
                Jennifer
                Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
                DS18: Almost done!
                DS17: MP, MPOA
                DS15: MP, MPOA
                DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
                DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
                DD9: SC3
                DD6: MPK

Comment

Thanks so much for your question, Christine! Doing College of the Redwoods Pre-Algebra with your student will ensure that they have a smoother transition into VideoText Module A, as you will have more extensive exposure to topics such as signed numbers, fractions, decimals, & percents, as well as how they relate to each other. You will certainly encounter this material again in VT Module A, but the topics will be reviewed more quickly and most students will benefit heavily from completing COTR beforehand. A student that jumps straight from R&S 6 into VideoText will most-likely be startled by the abrupt transition.

- Adam

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

Christine, I can't speak directly to this question, but I wanted to share our experience with pre-algebra and VT:

As you know, my oldest is very similar to your R. He had pre-algebra in 8th grade (at age 14 bc we held him back a year when switching to MP). I completely failed at teaching it, so he had to repeat it with MPOA in 9th (age 15). The class was fantastic, and the teacher was incredibly supportive, but he came out with a C and still didn't understand important concepts. This year, at 16, he's starting over with VT. He came to me a few weeks ago to turn in his exercise problems and said, "I FINALLY understand [equivalent] fractions!" He's loving VT because it's making math make sense. His brother, who did fine in the MPOA class, is also finding VT very clear and well-explained. I plan to skip COTR and go straight to VT for all of my younger children.
                    Jen,
                    I think making the math make sense is very important. If you don’t truly understand equivalent fractions and division by fractions you are going to be very hampered moving forward. Rod and Staff 6 was in my opinion very procedural with regards to equivalent fractions and division by fractions. There was little there on why the process worked. We are back to Right Start since they finished their Level F book a couple of years ago. I still find it a bit ironic that both Right Start and now MP both recommend video text since the elementary programs couldn’t be more different...video text must be pretty good.
                    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                    DD College Freshman

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

Jen,
                      I think making the math make sense is very important. If you don’t truly understand equivalent fractions and division by fractions you are going to be very hampered moving forward. Rod and Staff 6 was in my opinion very procedural with regards to equivalent fractions and division by fractions. There was little there on why the process worked. We are back to Right Start since they finished their Level F book a couple of years ago. I still find it a bit ironic that both Right Start and now MP both recommend video text since the elementary programs couldn’t be more different...video text must be pretty good.
                      They actually never had R&S. We did MCP, Montessori-at-home, and then Saxon until partway through 5/4 when it became clear that the spiral approach was not working for them. Then we used Developmental Mathematics which was fine until the higher levels which lacked enough explanation. RightStart and Montessori weren’t an option for us for due to money, time, and at-that-time-severe health issues.

We really had a combination of problems going: switching programs multiple times, no math fact memorization, language comprehension issues that impacted word problems, memory issues, etc. My oldest does prefer the why of things but I think he would have been good if his arithmetic foundation had been solid and he didn’t have the other issues.
                      Jennifer

2021-2022

Comment

Not sure what your cutoff dates are, but I would strongly encourage you not to move them up a year at this point. My son has an end of July birthday and I considered him in K when he had just turned 5 although many, many people around here hold their kids back a year in that situation. If he had been going to school he would have been the youngest. This year I decided to hold him back a year because he just didn’t seem mature enough for high school. He isn’t repeating content (except he stalled a bit in algebra last year). Once you start looking at college admissions and possibly sending them away to college I figured he would be well served in the younger grade. My feeling is that it is easier to move them forward if you get close to the end and they are ready than to hold them back if they aren’t. I would advise just placing your child in appropriate content and not be concerned about the grade at this moment. They change every bit as much from k to 4th as they do from 4th to 9th.
                        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                        DD College Freshman

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post

Thanks so much for your question, Christine! Doing College of the Redwoods Pre-Algebra with your student will ensure that they have a smoother transition into VideoText Module A, as you will have more extensive exposure to topics such as signed numbers, fractions, decimals, & percents, as well as how they relate to each other. You will certainly encounter this material again in VT Module A, but the topics will be reviewed more quickly and most students will benefit heavily from completing COTR beforehand. A student that jumps straight from R&S 6 into VideoText will most-likely be startled by the abrupt transition.

- Adam
                          This is very good to know! As noted above, I was planning to skip straight to VT after RS6. Guess I'll be rethinking that!
                          Jennifer

2021-2022

Comment

Working...