Novare science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novare science

I was disappointed to read today that Novare was bought out by Classical Academic Press. I really hope that doesn’t change the focus of Novare! My question is- now that Novare is owned by a competitor, will MP be dropping use of their books? I love Novare and had hoped to make use of the MP lesson plans and online academy for the high school books that MP had been planning on developing plans for but hadn’t yet.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Hello.

MP will continue to support Novare science. We want the best products for our families, and we believe Novare is the best science right now. I have spoken to Chris Perrin, and he is anxious to continue meeting our needs to provide Novare products as part of the MP core curriculum. So no worries!

Tanya

Comment

I'm glad you asked this question, as I had come here to voice the same concern.

I have been very pleased with Novare physical and earth science the past two years and I would like to continue with Novare for biology next year - understanding that I will have to follow their lesson plans and adapt those to my MP schedule. Will MP carry Novare biology when it comes out this summer? Or will I need to order that through CAP?

Is there any talk of MP possibly writing lesson plans for Novare biology? Or will you stick with the current Modern Biology offering?
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I saw the announcement too and specifically came here to look for info. I hope I can tack on another question for those who have used Novare, as I am looking to start the series next year with two kids together, 7th and 6th. For which grade levels did you use physical science and earth science? I have noticed that Novare and MP list very different grade levels. For example, the same Physical Science text lists for 6th-8th grade on Novare/CAP website but MP has is listed for 8+ grade. (I'm also trying to figure out the sequences Novare recommends for HS, advanced vs. general, etc... but at least I have a few years for that!) Main question now is as I indicated. In your experience, what grade levels can actually handle the first Novare Physical and Earth science courses? Thanks!
        2019/2020 - 3rd year homeschooling and with MP
        DS - 6th
        DS - 5th

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkirxd View Post
          I saw the announcement too and specifically came here to look for info. I hope I can tack on another question for those who have used Novare, as I am looking to start the series next year with two kids together, 7th and 6th. For which grade levels did you use physical science and earth science? I have noticed that Novare and MP list very different grade levels. For example, the same Physical Science text lists for 6th-8th grade on Novare/CAP website but MP has is listed for 8+ grade. (I'm also trying to figure out the sequences Novare recommends for HS, advanced vs. general, etc... but at least I have a few years for that!) Main question now is as I indicated. In your experience, what grade levels can actually handle the first Novare Physical and Earth science courses? Thanks!
          You'll see different recommendations in different places. I had two very different experiences with my two oldest kids. My dd15 has found her groove with literature and classical studies and struggled a bit once she left MP/Tiner science. She took Earth Science in 8th grade and is now in Physical Science as a 9th grader. She'll do biology next year, then physics and chemistry. ***Given her trajectory, this will work for her. She wants to attend a classical school and major in, well, the classics - math and science do not need to be as robust for her. We've discussed this with a couple of the deans and both agreed.**

However, my ds12 is my math and science whiz. He is currently in MP 7th and using Novare Earth Science. He'll do Novare Physical Science next year and then move on. (Please note that he is in VideoText math and on track to finish Module I A-C this year - if he keeps up this trajectory, he'll be ready for physics his freshman year.)

Cindy Davis wrote a brilliant chart for tracking science/math. You can find that link in this thread (the thread is also an interesting discussion of how different parents handle science): https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...-science-paths

ETA: Cindy's chart was formulated before MP implemented VideoText math. I am not sure how to correlate the levels of VT to science. In fact, I was just about to post a separate question about that.
          Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            Hello.

MP will continue to support Novare science. We want the best products for our families, and we believe Novare is the best science right now. I have spoken to Chris Perrin, and he is anxious to continue meeting our needs to provide Novare products as part of the MP core curriculum. So no worries!

Tanya
            I am so happy to read this! I had always bought directly from Novare because I like to support the creators of a program and they offered more options/extras than MP offered. But now i will probably but as much as I can from MP.
            DS, 21, chemistry major
            DS, 18, Physics major
            DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Hey, Mary!

We will continue with Modern Biology for MP right now. We will want to review the Novare biology book once it is ready before recommending it, but I feel sure that it will be the same good quality that we always see from the Mays. It does take an old earth perspective, so we will want to see how prevalent that is throughout the book. We don't take a stand on the age of the earth, so we don't really want to promote a text that screams either direction. We handle it in Holt by ignoring the references to the age of the earth, which is not difficult. Cheryl Lowe always said it was just an unnecessary distraction.

Lesson plans for it? We'll see! But it's not at the top of my list right now. I have promised so many lesson plans for items we currently sell that I have to get a handle on that first!

Tanya

Comment

Physical Science is solidly a 6-8th grade book. Introductory Physics is the “average” student text for physical science in 9th grade and Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry is the “advanced” physical science book for 9th.
                I found Physical Science to be much easier than Earth Science. That fact combined with Novare recommending IP in 9th, makes me recommend PS in 7th and Earth Science in 8th. 6th can be a life science such as MP trees/biology or the Novare middle school life science when they release it in a year or two (if CAP plans to follow up on that. Novare said that was their plan. Now who knows)
                DS, 21, chemistry major
                DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post

I am so happy to read this! I had always bought directly from Novare because I like to support the creators of a program and they offered more options/extras than MP offered. But now i will probably but as much as I can from MP.
                  Agreed. I also loved that I could call Novare directly and order specialty parts for experiments. We could always ask MP to set up a wood shop in their warehouse to build ramps and spring boxes...

tanya - thanks for that info. MP lesson plans are so nice to have but not a deal-breaker. I had written out plans for ES and then left them behind in a hospital room! Since then, I've been muddling through with the plans Novare gives on the resource CD and doing fine. As long as they have those for biology, we can easily make do.
                  Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Thanks Mary and Debbie,

Debbie - I agree with your sequence physical science - earth science - physics in 9th grade. I have read Novare's explanation of the "physics-first" approach, and when I showed it to my husband (a physician), he said, "I've been thinking that for years!" So, that convinced me. As you and I have discussed before, I have two boys less than one year apart in age. Thankfully for this subject. I think they would probably both be ok with the advanced science route (we will see), but the younger one has an even greater interest than the older one. Due to this, I am planning to try Novare Physical Science next year with both of them (7th and 6th) and be willing to slow it down if I need to with the younger one.

Another question. For Novare Physics (probably 9th grade), should the student be in at least Algebra 1 concurrently or have already completed Algebra 1?

Thanks!
                    Nicole
                    2019/2020 - 3rd year homeschooling and with MP
                    DS - 6th
                    DS - 5th

Comment

They say you should have completed algebra 1 and my daughter had algebra in 8th and did IP in 9th and she did gray. But the math is not hard in IP. It’s very basic equation solving. Most students learn to solve single variable equations in pre-algebra and the math is taught in the text as a pretty scripted sequence is steps to do so a student taking algebra 1 who did well in pre-algebra would probably be fine if he was willing to take the time to learn it as he goes.
                      Having finished teaching IP, I’m actually surprised everyone thinks this is a revolutionary idea to do “physics first”. IP is really very similar to most 8-9th level physical science books I have seen like Prentice Hall Concepts in Physical Science. Kolbe academy (and many public schools) have 9th graders take Physical Science or take it in 8th if they are taking algebra in 8. There really isn’t much more “physics” in IP than in any typical 9th grade physical science book. So I’m not sure what is revolutionary about it. There were a very few topics my daughter did in IP that are not in the apprentice Hall book my older kids did. And the physics topics in IP are very, very scaled back compared to a standard high school physics books (to be fair, Novare has a standard high school physics called Modeling Nature). It’s not really fair to say a student who has completed IP has had “high school physics”. It’s really much more like “high school physical science” which is commonly taught in 8th or 9th grade. That said, I still love the book and plan to use it again for my next child when he is in 8th. He is advanced in math so he will do bio in 9, advanced chem in 10, Modeling Nature (vector physics) in 11 and a college chemistry class in 12.
                      DS, 21, chemistry major
                      DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

That should say above that my daughter did “great” not “grey” in IP.
                        DS, 21, chemistry major
                        DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

Waving my hand ......

My 8th grade daughter is currently taking Physical Science in the Online Academy, with a low B. She's taking pre-algebra concurrently. After much going back and forth with Cindy in Indy as well as Mrs Peterson in the MPOA, we decided that Phys Sci would be fine for her. Next year, we plan to do Biology in the MPOA, which uses the Holt Bio text. Rachel is not strong in math, so Phys Sci has been challenging but not overwhelming.
                          Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                          DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                          DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                          DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                          DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                          DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Just adding a data point here to say we did Novare ES with a 5th and 7th grader last year. For my younger son I scaled back my quiz expectations and helped them with study topics. This year we are using Physical Science for now 6th and 8th grade. No problems there. For my 6th grader I am thinking of a Physics first sequence because I know he will go on to do an extra year of physics (maybe one of the Novare texts?) for 12th grade, he is more on an engineering track, disassembling everything in the house, etc. For my 9th grader next year, I will use Novare Biology and a more typical Bio-Chem-Phys sequence because I know he will take that 12th grade year and do Anatomy or Marine Biology, not sure.

In any case, I haven't assessed that Earth Science or Physical Science was more difficult, except that we had a definite learning curve with the Novare program, and it could be that it was more difficult for ES because of that. Now that we are tracking with the sequence, it seems easier.

Home Science Tools carries the Novare kits but I haven't used them- still a fair amount of building and setup involved in the experiments, but we are making it work.

Following along on what people think the level is for the various Physics offerings. I definitely want to be teaching Physics and not Physical Science when we get to the high school level.
                            Homeschool mom, MP since 2011
                            DS, 13, MP 8th grade
                            DS, 11, MP 6th grade

Comment

Thanks Mary and Debbie,

Debbie - I agree with your sequence physical science - earth science - physics in 9th grade. I have read Novare's explanation of the "physics-first" approach, and when I showed it to my husband (a physician), he said, "I've been thinking that for years!" So, that convinced me. As you and I have discussed before, I have two boys less than one year apart in age. Thankfully for this subject. I think they would probably both be ok with the advanced science route (we will see), but the younger one has an even greater interest than the older one. Due to this, I am planning to try Novare Physical Science next year with both of them (7th and 6th) and be willing to slow it down if I need to with the younger one.

Another question. For Novare Physics (probably 9th grade), should the student be in at least Algebra 1 concurrently or have already completed Algebra 1?

Thanks!
                              Nicole
                              We are using the Physical Science book with my 6th and 7th graders combined...and it has been just fine.
                              Cathy aka The Attached Mama
                              2019-2020
                              DS 12, 7th Grade
                              DD 11, 6th Grade
                              DS 5, K

Comment

Working...
                              X