No announcement yet.

Modern Europe Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see there is a new edition of A History of Europe in the Modern World. Will the guides work with either edition? Will MP use the 11e or 12e?
    DD 15 | 10th Grade
    DS 13 | 7th Grade with SFL
    DD 12 | 6A with SFL

Comment

Hello.

Our study guides are for the 11th edition, and I haven't seen the 12th edition yet. I'm thinking they would probably be fine. Unfortunately, this is a circumstance where the publisher changes editions frequently, but when you look at the editions, they are all quite similar. It's an industry that really frustrates me, and it is driven by public school funds. I can get a 12th edition in here and compare them, but I'm willing to bet that there are few changes. I've been down this road before when they went from 10th to 11th. We had classroom sets of the 10th edition, but we could only buy the 11th edition, so we ended up buying more used 10th edition to fill out our sets until they fell apart and we made the big switch. It's expensive for schools, but we are at the hands of big publishing houses.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry.

Tanya

Comment

Dorinda,

The Middle Ages text in literature is a much lighter overview of the Middle Ages. The Medieval Europe text is more detailed and difficult. For a high school credit in history, you would want to use the Medieval Europe course.

Tanya

Comment

Dorinda,

I feel like I just answered this question, and my answer is gone. Did you post it in two places, or are my posts disappearing?

Tanya

Comment

Never mind! I found it! I guess I needed to refresh!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Dorinda,

The Middle Ages text in literature is a much lighter overview of the Middle Ages. The Medieval Europe text is more detailed and difficult. For a high school credit in history, you would want to use the Medieval Europe course.

Tanya
              Isn’t the new Renaissance book in 9th a Dorthy Mills book just like the Middle Ages book in the literature plans? Why is the Renaissance Mills book a high school level text but the Middle Ages Mills book is not a high level text? Are there different Dorthy Mills texts written to different age groups? I’m just trying to wrap my brain around why a Mills book was selected as a high school text for Renaissance time but a more difficult book is selected for Middle Ages. Thanks
              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
              DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
              DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
              DS, 21, chemistry major
              DS, 18, Physics major
              DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
              DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
              DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

The Renaissance book is the same difficulty level as the Middle Ages book, but our study guide for the Renaissance is quite a bit more difficult. We have amped it up. And we don't even do the Renaissance course at HLS. We simply don't have time for it, and students cover it within European history. But we have gotten requests for a study on the Renaissance and Reformation from homeschoolers for years, so when we found Mills, we decided to go for it. The former HLS student who wrote the guide did a fine job, and I feel like you could use it as a history credit if you do everything in it. Or you could basically go through it like we visit the other Mills books and count it as half a credit. We always have too many history credits anyway at HLS, and we have The Story of Christianity and Vergil in that year.

If you compare this study guide with the other Mills guides, you will see that it is a step up though in difficulty. Maggie did a great job writing it, and she included extra information that isn't in the Mills book. I feel like this is a thorough course, especially if you use some of the discussion questions for essays. But if you are doing our curriculum, you really don't need this history credit.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
                  Is there an ETA yet on when the Palmer/Europe guides will be ready to ship?
                  All pieces of A History of Europe in the Modern World: Volumes 1 & 2 have arrived in our warehouse!

Comment

Would it be overkill then to do the 9th grade Lit (with The Book of the Middle Ages) as a Lit credit with A History of Medieval Europe for a History credit (instead of Ren. & Reform.) in the same year for a high school class? It would be probably mostly 9-10th graders.
                    Orthodox Momma to 6

2020-2021
                    DD18: Hillsdale College
                    DS16, DD13, DS9, DD4: Highlands Latin Stillwater Cottage School
                    DD2: tagging along

Using & Loving MP since 2009!

Comment

You can skip The Book of the Middle Ages in lit if you are doing Medieval Europe the same year. Just read the literature books and poetry. It is plenty for a credit in literature. The Mills book is just to remind students of the history/culture of the Middle Ages since we haven't revisited it yet. But there is no need to do it if you are studying the Middle Ages in history.

Tanya

Comment

n
                        Originally posted by tanya View Post
                        You can skip The Book of the Middle Ages in lit if you are doing Medieval Europe the same year. Just read the literature books and poetry. It is plenty for a credit in literature. The Mills book is just to remind students of the history/culture of the Middle Ages since we haven't revisited it yet. But there is no need to do it if you are studying the Middle Ages in history.

Tanya
                        Thank you! So, if I wanted to do a Medieval Lit year for 9-10th graders, would Canterbury Tales guide as written be age-appropriate (as a sub for Hound)?
                        Orthodox Momma to 6

2020-2021
                        DD18: Hillsdale College
                        DS16, DD13, DS9, DD4: Highlands Latin Stillwater Cottage School
                        DD2: tagging along

Using & Loving MP since 2009!

Comment

Hello.

We used to have Canterbury in that year of lit but moved it because of the mature content. But we were doing it in 8th grade at HLS. I feel like you will be fine with 9th and 10th graders. We chose a version that is not explicit and stories that are the least racy! Chaucer is a challenge! But as long as you are prepared ahead of time, you can control things.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                          X