Modern Europe Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

Do you know if the online academy medieval Europe class will be switching to this text as well? They had been using the text that went out of print.
    I am not sure. spiland should be able to answer that!

Comment

Hi Dorinda,

No, we will continue a one year Medieval class for those who want it. We do have a European I and European II already, so that option is available. A one-year class on Medieval will still be an option for those who want it.

Here are our History selections.

Thanks!

Scott Piland
      Director
      MPOA

Comment

momgineer
        Debbie,
        I am really excited about these new guides too. They are going to be so much more helpful than the previous ones!

What we have experienced thus far is that by and large, a textbook is a textbook is a textbook. Where it matters is what helps you study that textbook. In the absence of anything that great to use (because the old MP guides were not very helpful), we did textbook hunt for a bit, including LTN, and another one from Pearson. There were pros and cons to each, with all of them throwing SO much info into very few paragraphs.

Personally, I don’t see the resources of CTP as that helpful. My son tried using LTN part one, with all the “pieces” to it, and confirmed that it felt just the same as any other textbook. It was even less interesting than the MP one so he asked to return to using it instead. Now that these new guides are available, it’s not even going to be a question for us. The guide is what’s going to help the course be good. And these guides look awesome!!!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Hi Dorinda,

I may have misunderstood. For European I and II here are the texts and guides:

European I
          European II

Medieval History will continue to use the out-of-print book as long as there are affordable copies (it's a great book!).

Thanks!

Scott Piland
          Director
          MPOA

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            momgineer
            Debbie,
            I am really excited about these new guides too. They are going to be so much more helpful than the previous ones!

What we have experienced thus far is that by and large, a textbook is a textbook is a textbook. Where it matters is what helps you study that textbook. In the absence of anything that great to use (because the old MP guides were not very helpful), we did textbook hunt for a bit, including LTN, and another one from Pearson. There were pros and cons to each, with all of them throwing SO much info into very few paragraphs.

Personally, I don’t see the resources of CTP as that helpful. My son tried using LTN part one, with all the “pieces” to it, and confirmed that it felt just the same as any other textbook. It was even less interesting than the MP one so he asked to return to using it instead. Now that these new guides are available, it’s not even going to be a question for us. The guide is what’s going to help the course be good. And these guides look awesome!!!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            Oh- the “workbook” for the Catholic Textbook Project books are awful! Busywork galore. The quizzes and tests in the TG are awe full too. But I love the texts themselves. I’ve said for years it is my dream to have an MP style guide for all CTP books. Right now my 7th grader is reading LTTN1 and we orally discuss it. I use it only as exposure since he will study the time period in high school. I would not suggest trying to do all the CTP worksheets and such. They just aren’t helpful.
            My 10th grader is mildly dyslexic. She can read the Concise History book but she struggles to understand the deeper meanings and to keep sorted who all did what. The MP guides are not very helpful (thank for Tanya for the explanation. You’ve been saying for years you knew they weren’t MP standards but couldn’t offer anything better at the time. I’m so glad to see better is coming 😊). My daughter is taking a class with a teacher who sounds a lot like your retired teacher- he loves history and his faith and loves teaching it. But he believes education should all be reading and discussing and not much written work. He wants it to be inspiring. Which doesn’t mesh well with MP style learning. He doesn’t give assignments or tests. So she read the text for his class and listened to his lectures and did the MP books so I had something written for my records. He taught this over two years so the two year MP guides worked well for pacing. But she really struggled to actually learn the big picture. She had some context from the Guerber book a few years earlier but this book just went way too deep too fast for her even with the two year pace. A friend tried to use the book with her son and he was completely failing to be able to answer any of the questions. She switched to Lands of Hope and Promises (the high school CTP American history book) and he likes it much better.
            i always considered LIght to the Nations to be middle school level which is why my 7th grader is using book 1. But I had planned to use book 2 for my daughter for 11th because of her struggle with Concise History. I want something easier that will actually stick. She will also be doing the Didache Church History text next year so they would mesh well together. maybe I need to buy the MP text and have her read a chapter of each and see if the MP book is as hard to her as Concise History.
            I completely live the look of the new guides!!! With CTP books, i struggle to find ways to ensure learning since the workbook is crud. These guides would make learning the material much clearer, if, big if, she is able to comprehend the text easier than Concise History.

Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
            DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
            DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
            DS, 21, chemistry major
            DS, 18, Physics major
            DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
            DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
            DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

momgineer Kolbe has lesson plans for the Light to the Nation books - the first volume is 7th grade. The plans are pretty good, but try as I might, mine couldn't engage with the books themselves (though the oldest two have read at least Light to the Nations 1).
              Brit

Catholic mom to five
              2019-2020:
              Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
              Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA Algebra 2, and a bunch of other stuff
              Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
              Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with little brother and BOB books
              Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
                momgineer Kolbe has lesson plans for the Light to the Nation books - the first volume is 7th grade. The plans are pretty good, but try as I might, mine couldn't engage with the books themselves (though the oldest two have read at least Light to the Nations 1).
                My daughter is actually enrolled in Kolbe although we use very few, if any, of their courses. I use them for record keeping and keeping me accountable. They offer LTTN 1-2 as alternative high school
                courses. It’s very similar to the 7-8th grade course but with the addition of essays and essay tests. I had planned to actually use their high school lesson plans for LTTN 2 and was all completely set in that plan until i saw these incredible study guides. Now I’m conflicted again!
                Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                DS, 21, chemistry major
                DS, 18, Physics major
                DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Is there an ETA yet on when the Palmer/Europe guides will be ready to ship?
                  Brit

Catholic mom to five
                  2019-2020:
                  Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism

Comment

Is there an ETA yet on when the Palmer/Europe guides will be ready to ship?
                    I just checked with our editing team on this for you, and the A History of Europe in the Modern World guides are about to be sent to the printer as I type! We anticipate that those will arrive in about a month, which means they will begin shipping to customers at that time.

A History of Medieval Europe is still in the editing process. We are hoping to be able to send those guides to the printer in about a week.

All of these are tentative estimates, but we are working to get these guides to our customers as soon as we possibly can.

We are so glad you're excited about these new programs!

Comment

Thank you, Allie!
                      Brit

Catholic mom to five
                      2019-2020:

Comment

Allie Will the samples for Mills's Renaissance/Reformation, as well as for Davis's A History of Medieval Europe be up soon as well? Would Davis's book be accessible for a typical 9th grader?
                        Samples are now available for Renaissance and Reformation Times! You can view those here: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...ion-times-set/

Comment

I hope this does not sound too nitpicky, but I noticed BCE and CE are used in the guide samples in place of BC and AD. Does political correctness permeate the history texts? Thanks!
                          DS14, MPOA HS Comp II, mix of MP resources with substitutions, 2019-2020

"[May] the peace of God, which passes all understanding, ... keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Comment

You are right. We put a disclaimer in the teaching guidelines that even though MP uses BC and AD in our curriculum, we use BCE in this study guide for consistency with the book. But our preference will never be for BCE!

I feel like you will be fine with the text, especially if you stick with our study guide (assuming you can put up with this modern nonsense in this one thing!).

Tanya

​​​

Comment

I really like the new Modern history plan laid out for High School in the Classical Teacher. Thank you! This seems perfect for my next in line.

Is there a plan to add an MPOA Renaissance and Reformation class?
                              Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
                              DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
                              DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
                              DD 9: 4th using 3A
                              Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Can someone compare the new Medieval Europe text in the 10th grade core to the Middle Ages text in the 9th grade literature package? I am curious how much overlap there is between them.
                                Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                                DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                                DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                                DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                                DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Working...
                                X