Modern Europe Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Europe Guides

Happy New Year! I was curious when there might be samples up for the new Modern Europe vol. 1 & 2 guides up on the website. I was so excited to see it in the guide (and so excited to see Mills Ren/Ref in the guide, too!)
    Brit

Catholic mom to five
    2019-2020:
    Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
    Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA Algebra 2, and a bunch of other stuff
    Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
    Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with little brother and BOB books
    Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Hello.

I'm hoping to have this course up for preorder by the end of Jan. Keep your fingers crossed that I can sit at my desk and get that done. (After I return from our regional conference in SC and my visit to HLS Summerville, of course!)

Tanya

Comment

MyLittleWonders I wanted to let you know that samples for A History of Europe in the Modern World: Volume 1& 2 guides are now available. You can see samples for our student guide, teacher manual, and quizzes & tests on this set page here: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...1-2-guide-set/. You can also view more details about each guide on the individual product pages.

Comment

Great news! I was just looking for these sample last night. I'm excited about all the new materials and literature guides.

Just so you know, there's a typo in the "quizzes and tets" link.
        DD 13 - MP 8

Comment

Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
          Great news! I was just looking for these sample last night. I'm excited about all the new materials and literature guides.

Just so you know, there's a typo in the "quizzes and tets" link.
          Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. It should be correct now.

Comment

Those look amazing!!! Why oh why oh why couldn’t your American History guides have been like this!!! I really feel
            like my daughter has spent two years barely learning American history. The book is very hard to understand, the questions cover so little and don’t lead to mastery.
            Can anyone compare the actual test uses for European history to the American History text? If the text is as hard to understand as the American one, we will go with our original plan and do Light to the Nations 2 because my daughter needs to have a history course where she actually understands and remembers stuff. She just is not ready for a college level text. But I love the look of these guides so if the book is better (more in grade level and easier to pull key ideas from), we will consider it.
            Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
            DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
            DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
            DS, 21, chemistry major
            DS, 18, Physics major
            DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
            DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
            DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
              MyLittleWonders I wanted to let you know that samples for A History of Europe in the Modern World: Volume 1& 2 guides are now available. You can see samples for our student guide, teacher manual, and quizzes & tests on this set page here: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...1-2-guide-set/. You can also view more details about each guide on the individual product pages.
              Thank you! The samples look so so good. My pre-order is out for delivery and I can't wait to thumb through the entire guide.
              Brit

Catholic mom to five
              2019-2020:
              Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                Those look amazing!!! Why oh why oh why couldn’t your American History guides have been like this!!! I really feel
                like my daughter has spent two years barely learning American history. The book is very hard to understand, the questions cover so little and don’t lead to mastery.
                Can anyone compare the actual test uses for European history to the American History text? If the text is as hard to understand as the American one, we will go with our original plan and do Light to the Nations 2 because my daughter needs to have a history course where she actually understands and remembers stuff. She just is not ready for a college level text. But I love the look of these guides so if the book is better (more in grade level and easier to pull key ideas from), we will consider it.
                My current college freshman struggled with the US history book and didn't seem to retain much from it at all (I actually supplemented at different places with Carroll's Christ and the Americas because it's what I had on the shelf at the time; I plan on using McClay's Land of Hope with my others). My current 10th grader is reading the first Palmer/Modern Europe volume (my pre-order of the guides get here today) and he's doing well with it. For now I've been having him give me a narration for each subsection of each part of each chapter (each chapter is divided into subchapters, which often will have a couple subsections within them), and he's narrating quite well. I've read about the first 80 pages of the first volume and found the prose to be well written, engaging, and a good level for high school. (I actually like it much better than the Light to the Nation books, which were my default before MP said they were finishing the new guides for the Palmer book.)

We aren't doing both volumes in one year though; he'll read vol. 1 this year for 10th, and the vol. 2 for 11th. (We have also been reading Fr. Vidmar's The Catholic Church Through the Ages alongside, though I have to say that at least thus far, Modern Europe is very friendly to the Catholic Church; I just wanted the explicit Church history alongside as honestly it is very hard to separate Western Civ from the history of the Church.)
                Brit

Catholic mom to five
                2019-2020:

Comment

So to clarify, this set is replacing the two year set that you sold previously. The texts have not changed, only the guides. Correct?
                  DD 10th
                  DS 7th
                  DD 6th

Comment

Allie Will the samples for Mills's Renaissance/Reformation, as well as for Davis's A History of Medieval Europe be up soon as well? Would Davis's book be accessible for a typical 9th grader?
                    Brit

Catholic mom to five
                    2019-2020:

Comment

Hello.

I know this is a vast improvement, and I will give you the history (literally) here. Our high school history teacher was an older man who had retired from years in the public school system, really a master teacher. But all his information was inside his head, not on paper. The current American history and European history guides are just a compilation of the homework questions he had his students do - because that's all we had, and we didn't have anyone to develop the courses. Of course, our students were getting a wonderful history lesson each week from him, but I couldn't get him to take what was in his head and put it down on paper. When he retired, we replaced him with a young man who is passionate about history and a great writer of curriculum. So, we are gradually replacing the original guides with guides that are much more thorough and helpful - especially if you are using them in a homeschool setting. These guides should provide all the help your students will need to get through these difficult textbooks.

And that leads me to the next question. I do think the European history texts are as difficult as the American history text. These are dense books. But I think the new guides will make a huge difference, helping to give the overview students need so they don't get bogged down in the difficult textbooks. Also, we are speeding them up, which is another challenge. We are now considering American history a one year course and European history at HLS is a one year course too, but I'm going to lesson plan it as one or two years since it is so much material.

Dustin Warren is our teacher/author, and he wrote European history and Medieval history as he was teaching them. He hasn't taught our high school American history class yet, but I have told him that he has to write the guide this summer, so I'm hoping to have it next year sometime. I'm sorry it is too late for some, and I'm sorry that our current guides have not been what they should have been. We were just trying to offer you whatever help we could when we really had nothing else to give at this time. But we are working hard to improve and hope you are all happy with the new guides when you finally get your hands on them!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
                        Allie Will the samples for Mills's Renaissance/Reformation, as well as for Davis's A History of Medieval Europe be up soon as well? Would Davis's book be accessible for a typical 9th grader?
                        Those samples will be up as soon as our editing team lets me know they are ready!

We have that A History of Medieval Europe Set listed as grades 10+, but it would certainly be accessible for a typical 9th grader. Davis is a bit more difficult than Mills, but not as difficult as A History of Europe in the Modern World. Hope this helps!

Comment

Those samples will be up as soon as our editing team lets me know they are ready!

We have that A History of Medieval Europe Set listed as grades 10+, but it would certainly be accessible for a typical 9th grader. Davis is a bit more difficult than Mills, but not as difficult as A History of Europe in the Modern World. Hope this helps!
                          It definitely does! That you to MP for all your hard work.
                          Brit

Catholic mom to five
                          2019-2020:

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
                            So to clarify, this set is replacing the two year set that you sold previously. The texts have not changed, only the guides. Correct?
                            You are correct! We are still using both volumes of A History of Europe in the Modern World as the main texts for this course. We have replaced the guides with new ones that include material from both volumes, which means the course can now be covered in one year.

Comment

Do you know if the online academy medieval Europe class will be switching to this text as well? They had been using the text that went out of print.
                              Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                              DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                              DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                              DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                              DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Working...
                              X