VideoText lesson plans: Modules D-F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VideoText lesson plans: Modules D-F

We decided to make the switch from Prentice Hall to VideoText for Algebra II. I was impressed by the coverage of math concepts in their preview lessons.

I was excited after purchasing directly from VideoText to get a confirmation from Memoria Press! Nice to see it all so neatly integrated. Which leads me to the question of my beloved MP lesson plans. I see that there are downloadable lesson plans available for modules A-C. Are lesson plans for modules D-F in the works?

Thank you!
    DD 13 - MP 8

Good afternoon,

Yes, we will be lesson planning the rest of VideoText Algebra, as well as VideoText Geometry.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

What will the pacing be for video text? How much time will it take to complete all of algebra?
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Our schedule has students completing Modules A-C in their 8th grade year and D-F in their 9th grade year. So the pacing is the same as our previous Algebra 1-2 courses.

Tanya

Comment

Is there a pre-algebra section to Video Text or do you still recommend COTRW?

Melisa
          Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 10 years

dd - 9th grade using MP and Homeschool Connections
          ds - 7th grade using MP

Comment

I haven’t used VT, but module A is generally considered pre-algebra.
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Melisa Burke View Post
              Is there a pre-algebra section to Video Text or do you still recommend COTRW?

Melisa
              Good evening Melisa,

As Dorinda noted, VT's Module A can serve as pre-algebra. However, we will continue to use College of the Redwoods for a year-long pre-algebra course in our curriculum packages.

HTH!
              Michael
              Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
                We decided to make the switch from Prentice Hall to VideoText for Algebra II. I was impressed by the coverage of math concepts in their preview lessons.
                I was wondering about this. I have a daughter currently in Algebra I in MPOA. If I moved her to VT next year, I would buy modules D-F? Does the material "line up" well for that switch?
                Melanie
                2019-2020 ~ 6th MP year; 11th year homeschooling
                DD16 ~ 10th grade MPOA diploma program
                DD13 ~ 8th grade
                DS11 ~ 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by melaneesa View Post

I was wondering about this. I have a daughter currently in Algebra I in MPOA. If I moved her to VT next year, I would buy modules D-F? Does the material "line up" well for that switch?
                  My daughter completed Prentice Hall Algebra I using the MP videos. When we started VT modules D-F, I wasn't sure exactly where to begin. I sensed some of the material at the start of Unit V was review, so I gave DD the Unit V assessment to see if we should start from the beginning or skip the first series of lessons. To get to the the Unit V Assessment:

1) Log into the parent account
                  2) Click "Unit V - Second-Degree Relations and Higher"
                  3) Scroll down to the last heading, "Unit V Assessment"
                  4) Select "Unit V - Test A" (note: the answer key is the link immediately beneath it - "Instructor's Guide A")

After administering the assessment, it was clear that DD had the concepts down from Unit V Parts A and B (these were both covered in Prentice Hall Algebra 1), so we chose to start the course with Unit V Part C.

I was concerned about meshing the scope and sequence of the two courses, but it hasn't posed a problem. It's been a smooth transition. VideoText does use some vocabulary that's a little different than Prentice Hall and occasionally references problem-solving methods taught in Year One, but this hasn't been an issue. So far I'm really impressed with the clear, methodical way that concepts are explained.

Per the VideoText recommendations, I assign 1/2 of the problems in the WorkText pages. If DD finds these particularly challenging or she doesn't retain the material the following day, the plan is to assign the second half of the WorkText problems. (I haven't had to do this yet, which I credit to the clear explanations in the instructional videos.) I've found that the lessons start-to-finish are _significantly_ shorter with VT than Prentice Hall. What a blessing! Math was taking an incredibly long time, and we've gone from 75 min. math lessons to 45 min., 60 max. This may not seem like a significant difference but it's definitely impacted my daughter's attitude. Math grumpiness has largely disappeared. Thank you MP!
                  DD 13 - MP 8

Comment

Thank you, that's helpful. My biggest concern with using anything other than MPOA for math is that I am not a math person, and so I run into problems if the kids need help. I'm going to look into VT more, but this is helpful information!
                    Melanie
                    2019-2020 ~ 6th MP year; 11th year homeschooling
                    DD16 ~ 10th grade MPOA diploma program
                    DD13 ~ 8th grade
                    DS11 ~ 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by melaneesa View Post
                      Thank you, that's helpful. My biggest concern with using anything other than MPOA for math is that I am not a math person, and so I run into problems if the kids need help. I'm going to look into VT more, but this is helpful information!
                      I'm not mathy either (not by a long shot). The VT instructor's guides have complete step-by-step solutions written out for each problem, which works really well when my daughter gets stuck on a problem. I did have one question when we were first starting out and called VT -- I got a call back from the creator of VT himself who offered his cell number if we had any further issues. (I was able to solve it myself as it turns out.) I was pretty impressed with that kind of service!
                      DD 13 - MP 8

Comment

I am wondering if anyone in this thread can give a comparison of the two options that were mentioned here for Alegbra II. Hermione310, you mentioned that you are switching from PH to VT, and I would love to hear your thoughts and why you wanted something different. My daughter has been working with a tutor using Saxon for a while now. Next year, the same tutor is not available, and we will need to choose what we will use moving forward. I would love to hear any compare / contrast notes between PH with the MP DVD's and the VT series for Algebra II. I did read above that the lessons are shorter in VT, but I am also interested in notes about the actual teaching, explanations, material covered, etc. Thanks!

Comment

Hello.

I'm sure people will chime in with their experiences with both programs, but I wanted to let you know that the reason we made the switch is because the PH books are out of print and difficult to find. Once they are gone, there will be no more. So if you decide to go that route, you will want to get your text sooner than later.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by JenNicole View Post
                            I am wondering if anyone in this thread can give a comparison of the two options that were mentioned here for Alegbra II. Hermione310, you mentioned that you are switching from PH to VT, and I would love to hear your thoughts and why you wanted something different. My daughter has been working with a tutor using Saxon for a while now. Next year, the same tutor is not available, and we will need to choose what we will use moving forward. I would love to hear any compare / contrast notes between PH with the MP DVD's and the VT series for Algebra II. I did read above that the lessons are shorter in VT, but I am also interested in notes about the actual teaching, explanations, material covered, etc. Thanks!
                            I hope you get an answer to your request for a comparison, but it may be tough for many people to chime in on that yet because this is really the first year MP has been offering VT - so there may not be a lot of us that have used it yet.

My older kids have used the PH books for Algebra I and II, and did very well with them. They are very thorough courses and my kids were able to follow the explanations most of the time. We also pull out Kahn Academy occasionally to get unstuck if necessary. My two oldest ones went on to higher math after those books and have both been well-prepared. I have not had a need to switch to VT yet, so I can’t speak to it directly.

But I will also add that MP has always been extremely purposeful about the materials they have chosen. I would have every expectation that VT would be a worthy choice simply from our experience with the rest of the MP curriculum. I hope that helps a little!

AMDG,
                            Sarah
                            2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                            DS, 16
                            DD, 14
                            DD, 12
                            DD, 10
                            DD, 8
                            DD, 6
                            +DS+
                            DS, 2

Comment

Thank you, Tanya! That is great to know. I have only heard positive things about the PH and DVD combo, so that explains the change.

KF2000, Yes, the way MP carefully selects materials is why I am curious about VT. Thank you for sharing that PH has worked well for your kids and that they were well prepared for higher math. That is probably my biggest concern when comparing different materials.

It seems like I have two good choices. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                              X