High school French

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High school French

My ninth grader has been dabbling in French for a few years. She has mainly worked on First Start French combined with Duolingo. I’m going to get the second volume of First Start French but I’m not sure that it will be enough. I know she will want to continue with French after she completes that course. Are there any MP recommendations for high school school French? Thanks!

The MP Online Academy has a French 1 class: https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/...ename=french-i You could take a look at the books they use in that class.
    We use a different online program that currently has French 1-3. dreamingspireshomelearning.com
    HTH!

Comment

I have the book from the MP class. I wouldn't use it without the class unless you speak/ read/ write French yourself.

Do you want a class or a home-based program? All of the Duolingo tree + a solid grammar workbook/ textbook could be enough for French 1 & 2. If she plans to move onto a French 3 class, though, you probably should just start with a class somewhere that offers all of the levels you need and move through it.
      Last edited by bean; 11-02-2019, 06:07 AM.
      Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Bean - I would love a home based program. I don’t know enough French to use the book referenced above that the MP online program uses. But if I could find a program that offers videos or audio along with a book component (and teacher guide), I think that would work well. We will eventually add a class or a tutor, but I think that may need to wait until next year.

Comment

I would say for at home, probably the best option is Breaking the French Barrier, along with completing the Duolingo tree would be enough for French 1 and 2. At some point you could add a tutor from Verbal Planet to finish French 3. Breaking the French Barrier moves quickly, so find some quizlet sets and some grammar from Tex's French Grammar to make sure she's rock solid before moving on from each chapter. There are audio disks for Breaking the French Barrier, but the iBook has them integrated, so it's easier to use. You still need the work text though. ETA- Breaking the French Barrier books 1 & 2 would be enough for French 1-3. The third book is French 4-AP.

Transitioning to class later can be bumpy. If you're pretty sure you plan to use a class, I would say finish the Duolingo Tree, and the First Start French and understand that she still might end up back in a French 1 class. If you think you might use an online provider, find out from them now what they recommend you use for French 1.
          Last edited by bean; 11-03-2019, 07:12 AM.
          Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Working...
          X